PDA

View Full Version : REDTOP vs REDTOP

thepest
02-07-2007, 09:51 PM
So I found out that there is 2 type of redtops. the only difference is the head as far as I can see. So is the newer redtop with the cooling fins better by far then the older one?

projectRDM
02-07-2007, 09:58 PM
No.

Welcome to 1991.

mrmephistopheles
02-07-2007, 10:06 PM
just an age difference, that's all. You'll never notice it.
1993, Russ.

projectRDM
02-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Close, I don't keep up much with SRs, too gay for my taste.

derk
02-07-2007, 10:10 PM
^^

lol.. its not possible for people to know about this back in 1991...

seeing as how the S13 blacktop sr didnt come out till what.. 96? something like that.

but yes.

to the original poster.

get the third version of the redtop instead, it is the best one. came with 275hp and 300ft/lb of torque stock and was endurance tested at the nissan factory and it was able to maintain a steady 8000rpm for 10 hours straight without any catastrophic failure.

it is marked by cooling fins that are slightly slanted to the right on the head of the motor, and a red valve cover that has a slight tinge of orange in it

hope this helps :)

thepest
02-07-2007, 10:46 PM
^^

lol.. its not possible for people to know about this back in 1991...

seeing as how the S13 blacktop sr didnt come out till what.. 96? something like that.

but yes.

to the original poster.

get the third version of the redtop instead, it is the best one. came with 275hp and 300ft/lb of torque stock and was endurance tested at the nissan factory and it was able to maintain a steady 8000rpm for 10 hours straight without any catastrophic failure.

it is marked by cooling fins that are slightly slanted to the right on the head of the motor, and a red valve cover that has a slight tinge of orange in it

hope this helps :)

Ya that helps a lot, thanks man I an ordering it in a day. Is it true it uses a little bit bigger turbo?

TheTimanator
02-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Ya that helps a lot, thanks man I an ordering it in a day. Is it true it uses a little bit bigger turbo?
yes it uses a T26...

/sarcasm

is this for real? All the S13 redtops are pretty much the same, minor differences and of course, as MrMeph mentioned, really the biggest factor is age.

thepest
02-07-2007, 11:02 PM
yes it uses a T26...

/sarcasm

is this for real? All the S13 redtops are pretty much the same, minor differences and of course, as MrMeph mentioned, really the biggest factor is age.

Iam just going by what I was told by some people. So I asked.

TheTimanator
02-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Iam just going by what I was told by some people. So I asked.
in that case I'll try to be helpful
this has all 4 versions of the SR and the differences etc
http://srownersclub.com/jdm_engines.asp

and here is a useful thread full of info and links etc
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=62607

thepest
02-07-2007, 11:35 PM
in that case I'll try to be helpful
this has all 4 versions of the SR and the differences etc
http://srownersclub.com/jdm_engines.asp

and here is a useful thread full of info and links etc
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=62607

ok, thanks for the info.

McRussellPants
02-07-2007, 11:56 PM
If they wern't 15years old theres alot of differences between the two.

but they are. so your rollin the dice no matter what.

steve shadows
02-08-2007, 01:30 AM
There is a slight discrepancy in port hieght from inlet to valve seat on the Finned Late model heads and the Unfinned heads. The unfinned heads are just IMO. But for some reason the Built motor im doing it finned. The un-finned head is longer ports barely or some crap. I could be talking out of my ass. The Black top s13 is lower port and the VTC heads are the shortest.

McRussellPants
02-08-2007, 10:36 AM
the finned redtop has the same internals as the early blacktops.

thepest
02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
OK, does anyone have actual specs? I mean everyone has different info about them, but all and all the finned one is newer so it would be a better buy fo rthe same price. right?

Cashizslick
02-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Paint the finned redtop valve cover black, and resell it to some newb as a blacktop . . .

. . . any way to tell if this has happened (besides fresh paint on the valve cover)? No sense getting scammed - any dates/numbers to check on the motor itself?

thepest
02-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Paint the finned redtop valve cover black, and resell it to some newb as a blacktop . . .

. . . any way to tell if this has happened (besides fresh paint on the valve cover)? No sense getting scammed - any dates/numbers to check on the motor itself?

LOL . . . that is true.

Wei240
02-08-2007, 03:50 PM
i'd just get the newest one, type x black top, lower mileage, the ecu can also tell you what year unless someone decides to fvck with the harness to run different ecus which does happen

or just rebuild any old redtop, and you won't have to worry if it comes with fins or not

TheTimanator
02-08-2007, 05:57 PM
you can also tell the o2 sensor. Skinny= redtops Fat= blacktops... Although I have a fat o2 sensor and it has a red valve cover. I should check the ecu sometime to what it really is...not that it matters to me.

thepest
02-12-2007, 05:55 PM
you can also tell the o2 sensor. Skinny= redtops Fat= blacktops... Although I have a fat o2 sensor and it has a red valve cover. I should check the ecu sometime to what it really is...not that it matters to me.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for all the help guys.