PDA

View Full Version : car is making me mad

DisEpyon
02-07-2007, 08:39 PM
hello,
this is for a sr20det s13

i need some help, and i ran out of ideas on what it could be.
my problem is my car wont start (not turning over, not cranking). it makes a fast clicking sound.

it all happend when i was swaping out my differential with a welded one. my car has been sitting in cold weather for about a week before i got everything back together to figure out that its not starting. (took me a weeks cause i had a vicous drive shaft and it is shorter than a normal one, before i found one)

I took the starter off and had it tested at pep boys and it was bad, so i took it to a near by starter and alternator repair shop. got it today and put it on and same thing happend. fast clicking. the starter was going bad because i remember a couple weeks ago that after starting my car there was a grinding sound coming from the transmission, it was the starter.

ive tryed jump starting my car with another car, and nothing. checked fuses and they look fine. checked all ground and connections and looked fine, except my main ground battery connection im not to sure of, battery been relocated to the back. but i did this about month and a half ago, so i dont see a reason on why that would matter now. everything on my car works but wont start. im getting fuel, pressure guage is getting it, cd player works, fan works.
I recently bought a optima battery about a month ago, ive charged it overnight and that didnt matter. im not sure if its that or not.
please help me, this is a dayly driver car and i want to drive badly.
thanks, brent

luisgonz
02-07-2007, 08:44 PM
This might sound ghetto but have someone hold the key on start and you tap the starter with a rod and hammer just love taps.:keke: But make sure when you tap it Who ever is in the car has the key on start mode. If it starts its the start solonoid. If not check you ground for resistance.

s13rookie
02-07-2007, 08:46 PM
i usually get the fast clicking from the starter when the battery charge is high enough to run accesories, but not turn the car over. have you checked the voltage? sure your battery is grounded correctly? im not sure if a faulty ground would cause a starter to go bad, but.... are you using the same gauge power line as ground?

DisEpyon
02-07-2007, 09:05 PM
for my battery gauge wire, im running a 2 gauge. The shop that repaired mine said that my old solonoid was bad and they got a new one for me and i think they took it apart and greased what ever needs to be. when i got it back it looked pretty dam new, spot less. ill try the hitting thing tomorrow. My apexi turbo timer says that the voltage is around 11 to 10, but then when i hook up with another car it says 13. ive also noticed somthing else too, when ever i tryed to start it , i see the needle on the rpm jump a little.
before i got my starter rebuilt the clicking noise was slow, then after, the clicking noise is really fast. not sure if that helps a little bit. Maybe it is my main ground battery cable is hooked up on the car in a bad location or maybe i just need to sand off a little more paint.

thanks, brent

s13rookie
02-08-2007, 06:20 AM
usually, hitting the starter with a hammer only helps if the starter has developed a flat spot. if that was the problem, i would hope the place that rebuilt the starter would have noticed

hello
02-08-2007, 11:35 AM
i think you should check your battery for voltage..then check the ground connection.

or ask your friend if you could use their battery.

DisEpyon
02-08-2007, 05:52 PM
hehe i figured out my problem again :hsdance: thanks for the input, i forgot to ground my engine to the car. what a silly noob mistake. but before when i was driving my car around for about 2 months i didnt have a ground at the time, but i guess now it really matters alot.

thanks, brent