PDA

View Full Version : 5-pt Harness Install in an S14?

mehsilvia
02-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Can anyone provide me with some pics and info about mounting points used for installing a 5 point race harness?
I tried searching, and failed to obtain any usefull results.
Im concerned about the three lower belts, since the shoulders are of course mounted to a bar.
Ive read lots of posts in regard to the use of eye hooks, stock seat belt locations, mounting plates (drilled through floor), etc . . but would like to get more specific insight & opinion from fellow S14 owners. Thanks -

Slidin240Wayz
02-07-2007, 03:29 PM
I was looking into this as well. I am going to use eye bolts on the rear seat belt holes and the front seat belt hold by the door. I don't recall where the one by the console is.

Carlos

redsuns3838
02-07-2007, 03:29 PM
http://www.takataracingproducts.com/guide.html

when in doubt go to the manufacturers webpage. if the manufacturer sucks, go to a better manufacturers webpage. hah. it should give you an idea what to do, although its not application specific and its only for 4 point harnesses, atleast there are pictures. Some fellow zilvians can fill you in on what to do for the crotch belt.

g6civcx
02-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Wait 2 months and I'll show you.

mehsilvia
02-07-2007, 03:49 PM
I was looking into this as well. I am going to use eye bolts on the rear seat belt holes and the front seat belt hold by the door. I don't recall where the one by the console is.

Carlos

Im worried that the "hold by the door" is too far back (and upwards) and the console one is a very small threaded bolt.
So im leaning more toward creating my own mounting points, and using backing plates under the body (which im sure how the crotch is secured).
Which is all kind of why im interested to see what others have done.

Thanks for the info so far guys -

Wait 2 months and I'll show you.

Love writeups! But 2 months? How bout YOU document my ride? LOL

mehsilvia
02-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Alright, I got looking at things a little more closely last night. And here is what i found.

The outside lap belt should reach back to the stock-lower-belt mounting point just fine (as Slidin240Wayz stated).

The inside lap belt should either be attached at the seat bracket (where the stock belt was located) or should be drilled out on its own with a mounting plate.

Crotch belt is gonna have to be drilled out and plated somewhere in the middle.

The two shoulder belts should def be mounted to a roll-bar, but in the event you do not have one (which is next on my list), then running them back to the upper-rear-seatbelt mounting point is the best bet.
Anything lower, such as the lower-rear-seatbelt mounting points, would be too low and would exceed the 5-20 degree angle requirement for shoulder belt mounting.

Any thoughts?

Kahl
02-08-2007, 03:03 PM
The two shoulder belts should def be mounted to a roll-bar, but in the event you do not have one (which is next on my list), then running them back to the upper-rear-seatbelt mounting point is the best bet.

Are you talking about mounting both sholder belts to the same single upper mount for the rear drivers side seat belt? That seems a little sketchy to me. Although, so does using the two lower mounts if the angle is going to be too steep.
I used to have mine mounted to the two lower ones in my C33 but being a longer car provided less angle of the belts, still wasn't ideal however.