PDA

View Full Version : Reducing height of shifter

Apparition
07-27-2002, 10:28 PM
I want to reduce the vertical length of the shifter. Its too high, as I have to reach around it to change the tracks on my cd player. I'd like the knob to sit about an inch lower, yet look good. I don't have to cut the knob, then it look dorky.

Will aftermarket knobs shorten the height? I know a short shifter reduces the shift throw, but does it also reduce the height?

Need suggestions, this is on a s13 btw.

AceInHole
07-27-2002, 10:33 PM
from what I remember, the stock shift knob extends a bit... so some aftermarket knobs might help, but probably not by much.  Cutting an inch or so off the shifter would make a bigger difference though.

If you cut the threads off the shifter, you'd probably need an aftermarket knob that uses set screws, though.

kanekz
07-28-2002, 12:08 AM
Yes, aftermarket short shifters do reduce the vertical length of the shifter, nothing to drastic but noticable.  You probably would want to go with B&M or C's short shifters.

95Blue240sx
07-28-2002, 11:58 AM
can someone link me to where i can pick up a C's ss. thx

Ni5mo180SX
07-28-2002, 02:08 PM
Cutting the shifter isnt a good idea in most cases.

mrdirty
07-28-2002, 04:06 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ni5mo180SX @ July 28 2002,3:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Cutting the shifter isnt a good idea in most cases.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
dunno about most cases but I cut down a pilot short shifter and it works great on my 240.

Apparition
07-28-2002, 07:44 PM
so all that being said, which is the ideal shifter to lower that vertical height about an inch or so?

uiuc240
07-29-2002, 09:47 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Apparition @ July 28 2002,8:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so all that being said, which is the ideal shifter to lower that vertical height about an inch or so?</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
B&M. I have the OBX in my car right now. It's getting swapped this week for the B&M that's sitting in my living room. I can tell you just by looking at it that the shifter is shorter in height. Oh and the throws are SOO short and precise. www.enjukuracing.com has the newly revised B&M's for sale. tell ken that eric spread the good word....

Eric

EDIT: &nbsp;just for clarity...the OBX is a copy of the C's. &nbsp;so the C's will have the same height and throws as the OBX. &nbsp;it's just higher quality.