PDA

View Full Version : Threw Code 108 - EVAP Volume Control? Help!

KADRIFTER
01-31-2007, 01:49 PM
I've got a stock 96 s14 ka24de (aside from built internals and a clutch) - the manufacture date is 10/95 so i am assuming that's OBD-I....
I'm trying to pass smog in CA and can't because of the CEL. From searching and what not i've found that Code 108 is EVAP Volume Control - but i can't find anything on what to do to fix it. I have seen posts that say possibly a gas cap - but i think that was a different code... Is there a sensor or something i should be looking to replace? A canister or something else?
thanks.

MELLO*SOS
01-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Check out the FSM in the emissions area for the diagram, it should be able to help you troubleshoot that code..

There's probably an electronic solenoid somewhere along the evap vac line that the ECU opens under certain circumstances to purge the charcoal canister (fuel vapors tank). I bet you have a short in your wiring going to that solenoid? GL

orion::S14
01-31-2007, 03:32 PM
I'll bet that it happened when you took a turn kinda fast and didn.t have the gas cap on tightly.

Seriously.

Have you reset it, and if so...did it come back?

EVAP codes can pretty much ALL be reset, and they'll never come back...unless you have a dead solenoid.

Pull the ECU, reset the code, and give it a few driving cycles (so the ECU reads as "ready")...it'll be good to pass smog.

- Brian

KADRIFTER
01-31-2007, 06:47 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help guys.
That's funny you mention that it happened when i was taking a turn - in fact it did! Once any way....

I was throwing two codes - 1 for the coolant temp sensor that i already knew about, so i replaced it before reading the codes... The CEL did in fact turn off after i replaced the temp sensor (cause i reset it). About 2 miles later i was taking a right turn a bit fast and bingo - there goes the light. That's when i knew it was something else...

The second time i went in and pulled the code - 108... and then reset it - hoping it wouldn't come on (it was a shot in the dark...) It actually stayed off this time for 3 ignition cycles and about 7 miles. Then it just came on - no hard turn just freeway driving. (then again i'm riding on blown oem struts so maybe i hit a bump or somthing).

I'll try resetting it a couple more times before looking into the solenoid. What would happen if i just reset the CEL around the corner from the smog place, then just slowly drove it in there?

trsilvias13
01-31-2007, 08:43 PM
I have the same problem on a 97 240sx. I need to check the purge valve to see if it works now. If it was just a gas cap i be mad. Mine never went away. and it acutually code 1008