PDA

View Full Version : Radiator/Fan recommended setup on an rb26 powered s14

DrtyRat
01-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Hey guys,
My mechanic is getting to the final stages of his s14 w/an rb26dett. He's a rotary guy and was looking for a fan/radiator setup. I know that a koyo radiator(or anything similiar in terms of dimensions) will work w/FAL fans. However, have any of you rb guys tried/been successful w/altima fans. He's not concerned about chopping the front end up a bit to move the radiator foward so I don't know if that will allow it to work. Chime in w/any answers. Thanks

20 til 3
01-30-2007, 01:48 PM
if he is going to be running a koyo...just get aftermarket fans from jegs or something(dual 10") or something, and if he is worring about room, run a rake on the radiator

kouki_s14
01-30-2007, 07:27 PM
people have cracked koyos on RB since it is such a tight squeeze and can heat soak easily that way. I would go with greddy, griffin if he can find it,(i have one on order, but its been 4 months or so? still no idea how much longer it will take), or ARC if he can afford it. Fans i am using 2 11 inch fluidyne fans. If he is chopping the front, then i dont see why altimas wouldnt work, but with a RB26 why go cheap and get used parts? I mean he spent that much for the swap and wants to go cheap on cooling?

DrtyRat
01-30-2007, 09:38 PM
people have cracked koyos on RB since it is such a tight squeeze and can heat soak easily that way. I would go with greddy, griffin if he can find it,(i have one on order, but its been 4 months or so? still no idea how much longer it will take), or ARC if he can afford it. Fans i am using 2 11 inch fluidyne fans. If he is chopping the front, then i dont see why altimas wouldnt work, but with a RB26 why go cheap and get used parts? I mean he spent that much for the swap and wants to go cheap on cooling?
I only referenced the koyo's so ppl had an idea of what I was looking for. As hard as it may be to believe this was done on a tight budget. It's taken over a year and a half to get this done between paint, fabbing motor mounts, custom manifold,etc. With his fabrication skills if he does chop it up I'm sure it will look good. As far as being cheap on cooling goes, altima fans have been proven to be just as good as other name brand fans that cost 5x's as much. I would say this is budget minded, but def. not cheap.

kouki_s14
01-30-2007, 09:49 PM
I only referenced the koyo's so ppl had an idea of what I was looking for. As hard as it may be to believe this was done on a tight budget. It's taken over a year and a half to get this done between paint, fabbing motor mounts, custom manifold,etc. With his fabrication skills if he does chop it up I'm sure it will look good. As far as being cheap on cooling goes, altima fans have been proven to be just as good as other name brand fans that cost 5x's as much. I would say this is budget minded, but def. not cheap.

Perfectly understandable, but i still stress the altima fans for one reason. You just never know how long the motors on the fans will last, how long its been used and all. That is my main concern with using altima fans, i never doubted the efficiency. I guess i want him to be overly cautious since that is such an expensive motor, you know, just trying to play it safe.