PDA

View Full Version : burning oil...

kawika219
01-25-2007, 11:09 PM
i just finished my sr swap about a week ago. Now its starting to shoot bluish white smoke out of the exhaust (burning oil)...it got bad when i was driving and i was sitting at an intersection idling...i also noticed that when i push the motor is starts to sputter out at around 4k rpm...i pretty much wanna rule out the bad turbo because there was no shaft play what so ever...i guess im left with bad piston rings and oil seals...compression test will be done tomorrow...anyone else have suggestions???

specs on motor:
s13 blacktop, stock t25
no BOV
FMIC
o2 is not plugged in

MavericStephenc
01-25-2007, 11:14 PM
well you need a b.o.v as far as i know, why is the o2 not plugged in?, and last i was blosing smoke when i stepped on the gas turns out i had blown seals on my turbo so i had to rebuild it if thats the case go with a gt28

MavericStephenc
01-25-2007, 11:15 PM
i also had no shaft play

kawika219
01-25-2007, 11:21 PM
well you need a b.o.v as far as i know, why is the o2 not plugged in?, and last i was blosing smoke when i stepped on the gas turns out i had blown seals on my turbo so i had to rebuild it if thats the case go with a gt28its in but not wired...im going with a wideband soon, and you DONT need a BOV...i plugged the whole on the hotpipe

ECR33S14
01-25-2007, 11:25 PM
umm thats weird not to run a BOV. i mean you can but its terrible for your motor you need to have some sort of pressure release mechanism.

kawika219
01-25-2007, 11:27 PM
umm thats weird not to run a BOV. i mean you can but its terrible for your motor you need to have some sort of pressure release mechanism.
how is it bad for the motor??? bad for the turbo, yes...you ever hear compressor surge??

MavericStephenc
01-25-2007, 11:34 PM
yea itis bad for the turbo compressor surge will rappidly slow the rpm's on the turbo or even cause back spin.
what ecr33s14 and i are saying rather the causing trouble for your engine and turbo by not running a b.o.v save a little loot in the long run and use one

chibo
01-25-2007, 11:43 PM
How is compression?

kawika219
01-25-2007, 11:44 PM
yea itis bad for the turbo compressor surge will rappidly slow the rpm's on the turbo or even cause back spin.
what ecr33s14 and i are saying rather the causing trouble for your engine and turbo by not running a b.o.v save a little loot in the long run and use one
it wont do anything to the engine...would you like to give me money for one???...yes i know in the long run it will be bad...but thats my decision...and besides if i wanted an opinion on it i would ask, right now im trying to figure out wtf is wrong here...anyone else???

kawika219
01-25-2007, 11:45 PM
How is compression?
i will find out tomorrow...another wierd thing, i noticed a bad buring oil smell when i drive downhill...maybe its just a coincedence??? dunno...

MavericStephenc
01-25-2007, 11:46 PM
as i stated originally "check the damn oil seals on your snail!" i had that problem 75 bucks later for a rebuildkit and patience fixed my turbo now its fine

kawika219
01-25-2007, 11:49 PM
as i stated originally "check the damn oil seals on your snail!" i had that problem 75 bucks later for a rebuildkit and patience fixed my turbo now its fine
everything will be checked tomorrow or this weekend...im praying its the seals, however the bogging/misfiring shet is REALLY getting me

MavericStephenc
01-25-2007, 11:53 PM
that was happening to me i got aem wide band, did the rebuild replaced myplugs she runs fine now.

where you say hat the turbohas no shaft play it makes me think of my car cause i had the same problem. and it was the seals best of luck

MavericStephenc
01-25-2007, 11:55 PM
also on the bogging notto ram you about the b.o.v again but bogging went away for me after i got my blitz unit. cause for about a week or so i ran without one when i first completed my swapand it bogged out really bad, about everytime i got off the gas.

kawika219
01-25-2007, 11:58 PM
also on the bogging notto ram you about the b.o.v again but bogging went away for me after i got my blitz unit. cause for about a week or so i ran without one when i first completed my swapand it bogged out really bad, about everytime i got off the gas.
its when i floor in and pound the shit out of it...i guess sputters is the right term...it will pull hard until 4k rpm, then it just sounds like shit and stops pulling

MavericStephenc
01-26-2007, 12:05 AM
it sounds like its the turbo (i'm not an expert by any means) but i had the same problems.

if i may ask, why do you choose to not run a bypass valve?

kawika219
01-26-2007, 12:09 AM
it sounds like its the turbo (i'm not an expert by any means) but i had the same problems.

if i may ask, why do you choose to not run a bypass valve?
no money and the hotpipe sucks haha

MavericStephenc
01-26-2007, 12:10 AM
hotpipe sucks? elaborate? btw are you running fmic or smic?

kawika219
01-26-2007, 12:14 AM
hotpipe sucks? elaborate? btw are you running fmic or smic?
i have an ebay FMIC and its surprisingly good... its just the hotpipe was a little short so we extended it with a fat radiator hose, and the opening for the bov sucks...its too big

MavericStephenc
01-26-2007, 12:18 AM
i have a greddy front mount abd a blitz bypass valve

here it is http://www.driftfactory.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_23&products_id=37

good price good valve. and it comes with the hot pipe. if you rebuild your turbo prolong its life. how long have you been running the car straight through without the bypass valve?

kawika219
01-26-2007, 12:21 AM
isnt bypass different from bov??? my car been running like w/o a bov for a week

MavericStephenc
01-26-2007, 12:28 AM
bypass blow off same thing imo but still good price and product

MavericStephenc
01-26-2007, 03:04 AM
just woke up and thought of this..........check you wastegat acuator it might be frozen up idk justa thought

GSXRJJordan
01-26-2007, 03:39 AM
wow, sorry I didnt get to this sooner. Your problems are most likely unrelated (the oil blowing out and the sputtering under high boost/rpm).

1st - running no BOV does nothing to the motor, and doesn't "kill" turbos, just shortens their life. Lots of drifters run no BOV, because the crowd loves to hear the compressor surge (and they have Garrett/Turbonetics/HKS/etc as a sponsor lol). Point is, it doesn't create problems, but I'd get a BOV soon if you want to keep DD'n that car.

2nd - I'm assuming you have an aftermarket manifold, and have removed the stock air/oil seperator (sits over the 3rd and 4th runner, little black box that connects to the PCV on the bottom and the valve cover on the top), and haven't installed a catch can. This makes get sucked into the intake and through the motor/exhaust when you let the car idle for a bit. If I'm right in my assumptions, getting a catch can will eliminate this. If I'm wrong and you've got the stock mani and air/oil seperator, check compression, your rings (oil control rings in particular) could be shot.

3rd - You can't expect the car to run correctly (meaning no sputters/good response) without an o2 sensor. If you put a resistor in there (forgot the size for SR ECUs) it'll assume perfect air/fuel and run normally, but with 0v reading from the o2 sensor, it runs in failsafe, hence lower rev limit. Get a sensor or wideband with narrowband output.

If I'm wrong here, it's because you didnt give enough info =P j/k, hope this helps

MavericStephenc
01-26-2007, 03:46 AM
good info i never knew that about s13 motors,idk if that makes some difference between the notchtop and the red/black top sr

i did state i wasnotan expert but you learn new things every day

kawika219
01-26-2007, 10:05 AM
wow, sorry I didnt get to this sooner. Your problems are most likely unrelated (the oil blowing out and the sputtering under high boost/rpm).

2nd - I'm assuming you have an aftermarket manifold, and have removed the stock air/oil seperator (sits over the 3rd and 4th runner, little black box that connects to the PCV on the bottom and the valve cover on the top), and haven't installed a catch can. This makes get sucked into the intake and through the motor/exhaust when you let the car idle for a bit. If I'm right in my assumptions, getting a catch can will eliminate this. If I'm wrong and you've got the stock mani and air/oil seperator, check compression, your rings (oil control rings in particular) could be shot.

3rd - You can't expect the car to run correctly (meaning no sputters/good response) without an o2 sensor. If you put a resistor in there (forgot the size for SR ECUs) it'll assume perfect air/fuel and run normally, but with 0v reading from the o2 sensor, it runs in failsafe, hence lower rev limit. Get a sensor or wideband with narrowband output.

If I'm wrong here, it's because you didnt give enough info =P j/k, hope this helps

2. im running a completely stock motor other than what i already listed. ill try and intsall a catch can and see what happens. i doubt its the piston rings because i doesnt always smoke and sputter.

3. my friends car ran fine without one, and my car was running fine also. I plan on getting a wideband anyway, so well see what happens

MavericStephenc
01-27-2007, 10:28 AM
any update on your situation?

kawika219
01-27-2007, 10:45 AM
any update on your situation?
not yet...its only 8am in hawaii hahaha...gonna work on it today...

MavericStephenc
01-27-2007, 11:03 AM
thats right oop's i'm in boston.

in thats case good morning

kawika219
01-27-2007, 10:52 PM
okay...i didnt do a compression test today because my friend with the tools was busy...SO, i ran seafoam changed oil and checked the spark plugs. The spark plugs were gapped WAY too big it was like almost .040 in the regular NGKs, i also noticed the tips were white (however no oil)...so im gonna say my turbo is going bye bye

MavericStephenc
01-28-2007, 07:04 PM
yea as i said it may be theseals but its a good opp. to got t28

MavericStephenc
02-01-2007, 01:10 AM
any updates here?