PDA

View Full Version : front pass. side suspension clunk

94cc0rd
01-22-2007, 10:46 AM
hey guys. so this morning I noticed that whenever I drive over a bump or even slightly uneven road, i hear a clunk-like noise from the front passenger side suspension area... a light clunk.. not a big heavy clunk.

I did a search and came up with maybe blown tie-rods, blown shocks, loose top nut on coilovers...

but none of the situations were exactly the same as mine so I thought maybe i could get some more suggestions on what to check for...

I have megan racing street coilovers on a s14. probably close to 10k miles on them... but if the shock is blown, wouldn't i be able to feel a difference in the ride? at this point, it rides normal...

Dream240
01-22-2007, 11:42 AM
sounds like you have a bad strut mount. Did you put new ones on with the coilovers? Also check all the suspension bolts for looseness...could have one that's rattled loose on ya.

180sxdrifter
01-22-2007, 11:44 AM
sounds like t/c rods to me

94cc0rd
01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
which part is the strut mount?? lol

i checked all the bolts on the coilovers... top ones... the bottom ones at the hub area... and they all are nice and tight...

i looked at the front lower control arms and that area but i really don't know what to look for... they all look straight and not bent but thats all I can see really...

los_inc
01-22-2007, 12:12 PM
if the sound happens when your braking think it's just your tension rods

LB.Motoring
01-22-2007, 12:12 PM
seanette,

do you have stock tension rods?

if so Ill take a look @ it for you, just swing by sometime.

94cc0rd
01-22-2007, 01:44 PM
i'm not sure if its when i'm braking... its definately not ONLY when i'm braking though...

do you guys think it will be fine to drive to work? it's 10 miles away about 2-3 miles on some crappy roads and the rest is freeway..

i was getting really worried just driving like 1-2 miles to school...

94cc0rd
01-22-2007, 01:45 PM
yea... tension rods are stock...

Dream240
01-22-2007, 02:04 PM
you'll be fine. Bad tension rods, or mounts...whatever it is, won't cuse you to crash or anything. It'll just get really annoying.

The easy way to check your tension rods is get right underneath your front end....those two shafts that are pointing at an angle towards the wheels...those are your tension rods. The large round front end houses a bolt encased in a liquid/rubber bushing. Almost all the bushings bust open and leak the lovely fluid all over the tension rod. You can't miss the gluid, it's dark and sticky like oil. If you get under there and see them leaking them that's your problem...get some Nismo's....solid rubber and good price. Check the pic in the link....it's #1 bushing.

http://www.nismoparts.com/catalog/?section=516

3rd item down the page....great seller.

GL

LB.Motoring
01-22-2007, 02:59 PM
yea... tension rods are stock...

yah, there probly gone.

I would get some aftermarket ones since it would be the same as buying new ones, or close to it, and this way you and use them, it will help you ajust your front end.

get some Battle version, or Tien, etc. used. Ill keep the look out, I have some @ my house for my s14..

94cc0rd
01-22-2007, 03:41 PM
hey robbie, u think i can stop by tomorrow around 1 or 2pm? can't stay for too long though cuz i got class at 3:40.. let me know.. hit me up on AIM or text me... probably can't pick up the phone since i got work 5-12 tonight. btw, i washed my car so u can take some new pics :P

and of course, thanks for everybody who replied.. i'll reply here when I take a look at it and check out what the problem is...