PDA

View Full Version : Anybody that has a megan manifold READ!

z32gizzle
01-18-2007, 11:30 PM
K so ever since I got my megan racing manifold it came with those ghetto bolts that thread on top and bottom...well i have since taken the manifold off and had to bring them back up about 7 times now its annoying. The bolts just seem to come undone no matter if I put nuts on top and bottom they just unscrew themselves in a sense... anyone else have this problem? I have even tried using locktight and the oval nuts that supposedly stop the backing out...any help would be a great help thanks

GSXRJJordan
01-19-2007, 04:38 AM
do the nuts vibrate off the turbo-side of the studs first? I've used Megan manifolds on all my SRs, and what I have found works is:
- loc-tite the studs in with special high-temp loctite, which doesn't really do much at this temp anyway, but every bit helps
- put a nut on the top of all 4 studs - for the one under the collector, I JB welded a shaved nut on
- use the OEM locking clips on both sets of nuts (above and below)

If anything shakes loose, of if you break studs, you have a more serious vibration issue, probably coming from using a downpipe without a flex section. I had a turbo elbow break on me, and Steve and Calvin at Megan both said that switching to the newer downpipe with a flex section eliminates all those vibration-caused issues.

If the only problem is the studs coming loose from the manifold side (and the nuts stay on from the turbo side), then I'd just JB Weld (or tack weld) nuts onto the studs on the top - once those studs are in there, theres no need for them to come out.

Hope that helps, and dont give up! =D

yokotas13
01-19-2007, 05:09 AM
yeah, i hd friend with that problem

So i welded the top parts of the studs into the manifold. no loosening for me

Sil-Abc
01-19-2007, 06:44 AM
i had that problem, i traded my manifold for a stocky and welded it shut. done and done

OBEEWON
01-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Support your down pipe. There should be a bracket that goes from the down pipe to the chassis or the tranny I forget which. Also make sure the rest of your exhaust is supported properly or the bolts will be supporting the weight of your whole exhaust system.

z32gizzle
01-19-2007, 09:16 AM
yea i think im just gonna weld the top of the bolts cause im tired of using everything that is supposed to stop the backing out of nuts and bolts and it wont work.... thanks for all of your input guys

DrIvEsldEwAyS
01-19-2007, 10:31 AM
yeah mine came undone once and i just had them welded. havent had a problem since

sbanzer123
01-19-2007, 02:17 PM
lock washers, end of story.