PDA

View Full Version : WOW car not starting,tried most everything grrrrr

worangejuice
01-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi,
Read through a shit load of old threads and replaced a lot of parts. Maybe one of you guys can pinpoint before I spend more money:down:
All this happened after I replaced my bumper. Only electrical thing I did was disconnect my headlghts w/o disconnecting battery:squint: .

1992 Silvia front 240sx
ka24de-manual

Symptoms:
car willl not turn over,only a click under dash,behind driver headlight,and around fuse box area by battery.
dash lights not lighting at all (heater lights went out a long time ago,saw the thread on how to replace these with the white box behind the driver kick panel,but shouldn't affect the start-up).
Headlights still work and bright,front turn signals work, but corner lights not lighting up?,cd player works,heater works. Sounds like fuel pump is starting.

So far:
Replaced and checked all fuses and relays in kick panel and by battery. Replaced the blue relay on pass. fender.
Replaced Starter.
Replaced Alternator last month
all theses are new parts.
Opened up steering column cover and everything is connected.
Black button behind clutch is connecting.
Battery is a month old and tested as good.
Checked under car and every nook and cranny everything is connected no loose wires.
Spark plugs looked good a little burnt but that wouldn't necessarily affect it right?

After checking all the above I've continued to search and found that all that's left is the following:
Clutch interlock switch on passenger side
Check,change ignition switch. (funny cause these didn't come up till later,after I changed all the above.:rant2: )
SO is there anything I've missed besides the last two here? At least if it's only these two then I'll kind of have an electrical tune-up.:w00t:
Thanks in advance!!!
It's been a week of the bus and picking up my girlfriend on the bus too:yum:

ManoNegra
01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
I know you checked them but that sounds to me like fuses. Getting fuel?
btw, how can your heater work even though you can't start the car? Maybe you mean the core fan?

worangejuice
01-17-2007, 04:52 PM
I replaced the ignition switch fuses and all the other main ones with new ones. When the ignition is turned to on, I can trn the heater/air to 1,2,3,4 and on high low and it works. I also changed out the relays. The only one i didn't change was the alt 75 amp relay fuse. The fuse is not broken,I took it to the nissan dealer and they said it was good. The part was also $65. No other parts places had it. So that's still in there. Could that be it? the car clicks but nothing. Damn I feel dumber by the minute. I've replaced a lot so far.

ManoNegra
01-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Put your ear by the gas tank and try to hear the pump working or pull off the hose and prime the car to check fuel pressure.
I bought a main fuse for my old S14 once and it was only $20 at the dealer (Pep Boys one was junk). You only need to replace fuses that are visibly broken.

jkgaddis
01-17-2007, 05:23 PM
ti wouldnt be a lack of fuel as mentioned earlier, because it would still crank. also, i doubt the starter that was in there was even bad. unless you had them test it at an auto parts store. i would check not only for things not being connected, but also your battery connection and starter connections. a loose connection can not only do what you are describing but also start a fire! also, for shits and giggles, i would pull the fuses for all the non essentials and if that works then put them in and start it one by one till you have a problem again and whatever that fuse goes to is where your problem lies. i would try just taking the headlights fuse out and try starting it then. what it sounds like to me is that you have a short somewhere and the juice is never getting to the starter.

MELLO*SOS
01-17-2007, 05:42 PM
put a DMM on the starter and see if it's getting juice when you turn the key over.. Kind of sounds like a bad/dead battery, despite your electrical components "working normally". Might have a short somewhere that is blowing fuses or relays that you're replacing? Like mentioned before, you might want to unhook any wiring changes made for the silvia front end. GL

worangejuice
01-17-2007, 10:05 PM
kool thanks guys I'll try it all out and let you al know how it goes. Gotta catch the bus soon,santa monica to hollywood:duh:

worangejuice
01-18-2007, 03:22 PM
:rawk: Hey all! Happy to say that she's up and running again. I tried to bypass the clutch relay inder the fuse box.that didn't work. Pulled all the fuses put them back in. didn't seem to affect it. disconnected headlights then went to check ignition switch and turned it on for whatever reason and it started right up. I left my headlights disconnected and have been driving around today. So it must be a short or something in my headlights. I'll reconnect them tonight and see if it goes out again. My corner lights and dash still don't light up. But it's running!
thanks again to all who replied!:rawk:

jkgaddis
01-18-2007, 04:36 PM
cool man. as far as the rest of it goes, i would learn how to use a multi meter real quick (if you dont know already). then you can trouble shoot from there. a wiring diagram would be helpful too. glad you got the car started and you dont have to ride the bus, have fun though cuz electrical problems are a bitch.