PDA

View Full Version : How to: Install S14 power folding mirrors

Tenchuu
01-13-2007, 10:55 PM
OK i managed to piece togather bits and pieces from other forums, and made up the rest. it works.

to start off the reason i did this is that since 80% of the other vehicles on the road where i live are SUVs or trucks, their damn lights blind me and i am sick of re-adjusting my mirrors all the time.

so i started out with a 97 S14, with power mirrors
i bought JDM power folders and a switch.

1. remove interior bezels from door panels.
2. remove door panels and plastic triangle piece the inside of the mirror.
3. remove 3 10mm bolts hold the mirror on, and the power clip behind the plastic sheet above the speaker.
4. remove center console unclipping the power mirror switch

ok now for a break and switching out the mirrors and motors.

1.remove 3 phillips screws that hold on the mirror housing to the stand on all 4 mirrors

2. pull glass off all 4 mirrors (it just pops off)
should look like this now:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Tenchuuk/P1010004.jpg
(note this is a folding one^)

3. unscrew phillips serew in the middle and pull off the mirror backing so you are left with this:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Tenchuuk/P1010003.jpg
(once a gain a folder, non folding have different screw points^)

4. unscrew the 4 mounting screws and pull the motor assembly out of the folder and into the US housing (can be skipped if you like the paint on the folding mirror better than your US mirror)

5. under the foam on the back of the triangle base there is a phillips screw that holds on an angled piece of plastic that is clamping the wires in place, remove the screw and the piece of plastic, then cut the plug and remove the wires from the base.

ok here are some comparison shots for you guys:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Tenchuuk/P1010002.jpg
USDM glass top, JDM glass bottom
JDM folding motor removed top, USDM power mirror bottom

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Tenchuuk/P1010001.jpg
JDM housing and triangle mount top (nice and painted body color)
USDM housing and triangle mount bottom (crappy grey plastic)
you can use the JDM ones, but you are retarded if you do. the angle is all wrong so it makes your mirrors almost useless. i tried removeing the metal bracket inside the plastic houseing to see if they are interchangeable and if that would correct the mounting angles, but they are not. The plastic is formed to each one and the metal mounts will not interchange with the mount houseings.

The mirror houseings however, are interchangeable. since i liked my paint better, i kept my USDM housing.

6. install the motor in the USDM houseing (drops right in perfectly, no modifications)

7. attach whatever houseing you have with the folding motors in it onto the USDM triangle base.

now you are done with the mechanical part of the swap (if you can't figure you how to re-assemble from there you don't need to be doing this in the first place)

next comes the wireing. do yourself a favor and re-pin things or use some sort of a conector that is not perminate so you can remove if needed without cutting and re-spliceing.

The door:
the JDM wires use the same base colors as the USDM wires, so connect those up there will be two extra wires comeing from the mirrors, you will have to run 2 wires from mirrors to the center console for EACH mirror. use your diecression on this, either around the hinge, or if you have midget hands and feel like dissambeling the dash you could toss it in the rubber hose that has the main door harness in it for a cleaner look.

The switch:
you ahve to have the JWM switch in order to do this right, i had it so i will not bother with how to jury rig a switch seperate.

OK the JDM switch has some wires comeing out of it, and the USDM wires comeing out of the car are somewhat differant, here is how to hook the wires togather (note : colors should be close for all cars i have been led to belive):

Purple/White -> Purple/White
Blue/White -> Blue/Black
Black -> Black
Blue/Red -> Blue/Red
Yellow/Black -> Yellow/Red
Orange -> Orange/Silver
Yellow/Green -> Yellow/Green

Now you are left with a Green/Black and a Green/Black/Silver wire comeing off the JDM switch. those two wires connect to BOTH mirrors each, so be sure to have some sort of a bigger connection or splice to work with to "T" the one wire into two. (or solder and wrap)

ALWAYS INSULATE CONNECTIONS
or you will have "mystery" problems as things bounce around and ground out. heat shrink or electrical tape the connnections as you go.

it doesn't matter how you hook those up so long as they are the SAME on both mirrors. you will know if they are not becasue one mirror will go out when the other goes in if they are not correct. remember how i told you to use some sort of interchangeable plugs? swap the wires to the mirror if they are wrong now.

button everyhting back up and you are done.

estimated time: 3 hours takeing it easy

estimated time with drinking and friends and custom installing speakers and tweeters: two days

Tools needed:
Phillips screwdriver
small needle nose pliars (to fish out the wireing through the door)
wratched and 10mm socket
wire stripper/cutters

crimper
1 box crimp connectors (red min of 6)
1 box blade connectors (red min of 8)
1 box blade receptors (red min of 8)
2 T-splices or 2 larger diamater (i went with yellow) crimp connectors

hope thsi clarifies everything, any more questions feel free to ask.

mrmephistopheles
01-13-2007, 11:36 PM
I like your signature.
If I'm not mistaken, the procedure is the same for S13, save for wiring.
I've swapped everything over for myself like you, but I never got around to do the wiring.
+R4U

projectRDM
01-14-2007, 09:35 AM
You can do it one up and put in UK heated glass too, that's even more fun since you have to fish two extra wires through the mirror assembly, but it's worth it in the winter time.

Slidin240Wayz
01-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Very nice! Looking into RHD mirrors on the LH side sucks.

Carlos

SilviaSR20DET
01-23-2007, 11:59 AM
does the power folding mirrors fold when the car shuts off? what benefits are there of having them as opposed to stock?

mrmephistopheles
01-23-2007, 05:50 PM
does the power folding mirrors fold when the car shuts off? what benefits are there of having them as opposed to stock?

You can wire them to fold in when you arm your alarm or lock your doors or whatever, but stock, they're not autonomous. The idea behind them is to aid in driving down narrow roads and parking in narrow spaces without having your mirrors hit other cars'. Mostly superfluous in the US, but very useful here in Japan.

Dutchmalmiss
01-24-2007, 02:23 AM
in terms of an s13 base model, how hard would this be? i've had some sittin around, but never got to it.

mrmephistopheles
01-24-2007, 03:30 AM
As hard as running the wires and finding a ground and 12V ignition lead. They aren't something you want having 12V constant. :D

projectRDM
01-24-2007, 03:50 AM
Not even that. The motors are a reverse polarity like any other motor, so just two wires to each mirror, then have them fed by either the OE switch, a pair of relays, or a built in relay pack in the alarm.

redpotatoes
02-06-2007, 02:16 PM
I bought JDM power folding mirror, When I bought them, I didn't thought about the RHD view on LHD car. Here is how I will proceed:

USDM mirrors/glasses on JDM power folding motors in JDM housings attached to USDM triangle mounts linked to a JDM switch.

I am looking for a JDM power folding switch S14. Anyone has one to sell ?

redpotatoes
02-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Not sure if someone can answer this, since I am not able to get a hand on a JDM S14 power mirror switch, can I use another Nissan/Infiniti switch ?

Model 1

http://i23.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/0f/a4/93_1_b.JPG

Model 2

http://i1.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/10/cc/8d_1_b.JPG
http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/0f/78/b3_1.JPG

projectRDM
02-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Yes, the pinout is the same for both types of switches, so as long as you have the plug you're fine, just cut and rewire.

redpotatoes
03-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Here is the switch I got:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/765000-765999/765280_148_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/765000-765999/765280_149_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/765000-765999/765280_150_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/765000-765999/765280_151_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/765000-765999/765280_152_full.jpg

Seems that I only have 6 wires coming of the JDM switch. I did not removed my console yet but I will soon(1week), I should be able to give more details and take pictures of the OEM USDM wires from the car and USDM switch. If I look at your rewiring, seems that I am missing some wires:

he JDM switch has some wires comeing out of it, and the USDM wires comeing out of the car are somewhat differant, here is how to hook the wires togather (note : colors should be close for all cars i have been led to belive):

Purple/White -> Purple/White
Blue/White -> Blue/Black
Black -> Black
Blue/Red -> Blue/Red
Yellow/Black -> Yellow/Red
Orange -> Orange/Silver
Yellow/Green -> Yellow/Green

Now you are left with a Green/Black and a Green/Black/Silver wire comeing off the JDM switch. those two wires connect to BOTH mirrors each, so be sure to have some sort of a bigger connection or splice to work with to "T" the one wire into two. (or solder and wrap)

projectRDM
03-03-2007, 04:12 PM
That's not a mirror switch plug, wrong color wires.

If you have a 95 though it will plug right in, then you can use two of those wires from the incorrect plug to pin into yours. 96-98s use a gray square plug with smaller pins.
If you have a 96-98, find a 95 model and cut the plug out, match all the colors up then again use two of those from the incorrect plug above and pin the folding outputs.

Tenchuu
03-03-2007, 09:22 PM
and just for reference this is the switch that i used:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Tenchuuk/03-03-07_2011.jpg

and even my basic US plug as 7 wires stock. I think russ is right and someone worked you on that plug. repin time

my stock plug, fingers and my pair of path shoes.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Tenchuuk/03-03-07_2030.jpg

heyitzalan
03-03-2007, 09:34 PM
i have a 96 zenki, do i have to buy a motor to make the mirrors folded?

Tenchuu
03-03-2007, 09:41 PM
nope, all you have to do is walk outside and fold them in by hand. but if you are lazy like some of us and want that convenience at the touch of a button you have to buy the mirrors and the switch and wire it. for questions read 1st post.

redpotatoes
03-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Ok so my switch is the right one but the plug I have is wrong. I do have a 95 so the OEM plug on the car will fit right in the switch I bought, I will need to take 2 pins out of the wrong plug, put them in the oem plug and wire that to the 2 extra wires doing "Y" and going the the mirrors. Sounds right ? I will take a look at the plug on my friend's Pulsar GTi-R (he has the same switch, it should help).

Tenchuu
03-04-2007, 12:45 PM
as rumor has it yes, all you have to do to check is to pop out your current switch (it pops right out with a bit o prying) and make sure that the plug is the same. if so then look at the folder switch and see which two pins are used on the switch for fold/unfold, and take two pins out of the ??? plug pictured and put them into the stock one in the places (should be next to each other) that the JDM switch has contacts that don't line up with the USDM wiring harness.

projectRDM
03-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Bingo. The switch you have will plug right in, then just pin two wires from the junk plug into the two open spots, Y those out to each mirror. One will fold in, one out, if it's reversed just flip the wires.

98koukile
03-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Would a 2000-2003 maxima mirror work? It looks identical but I'd have to see one in person I guess. I'd only use the heating element

projectRDM
03-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Doubtful. Heated glass is easy as hell to get overseas, it's standard in the UK. I got a full pair of mirrors for less than $40, sold the housings with my old glass for $50 a week later.

joeytoad83
03-10-2007, 05:32 PM
i put them on my s13 not to hard, my only question is why one side folds in more than the other

RUTH'LESSDET
08-24-2007, 03:02 PM
great post

bump

RUTH'LESSDET
08-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Does anyone know of a way to wire the mirrors so when you turn your key into the on position the mirrors fold out and when you turn the key off then they close??? I know that some extra sh*t but hey I have the mirrors I wanna get my money worth outta them

Tenchuu
08-25-2007, 12:03 AM
just use a relay to a 12V switched witre instead of the switch. should be cake.

RUTH'LESSDET
09-28-2007, 03:06 PM
just use a relay to a 12V switched witre instead of the switch. should be cake.

can you help me with a lil more detailed instructions? im a newbie to this wiriing game..............

KingKong8247
10-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Does anyone know of a way to wire the mirrors so when you turn your key into the on position the mirrors fold out and when you turn the key off then they close??? I know that some extra sh*t but hey I have the mirrors I wanna get my money worth outta them

I like that idea. Im going to try this. If I can figure it out Ill let you know. Or if you figured it out already let me know.

Anyone have any tips?

projectRDM
10-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Tip was already made, use a relay off the ignition. It's not brain surgery.

alkemyst
12-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Someone has posted that if you swap the bases to USDM the driver side doesn't fold in flush, but sticks out a bit (compared to the passenger side and what the JDM base does).

Anyone have pics of this with USDM bases and JDM folding motors folded in?

Å

twistedsymphony
05-15-2008, 01:09 PM
I know this an older topic but it's a good tech topic so my question is best asked here..

... what's the reason for using the USDM bases instead of the JDM bases? The driver's side base on my car is broken, so I was considering doing this mod to fix my base and add some cool new features to my car.

I would think that you'd want to use the USDM housings to keep the mirrors in a LHD configuration but everyone here keeps saying they're using JDM housings with USDM bases which seems odd to me.

alkemyst
05-15-2008, 01:19 PM
you transfer the guts basically to the new mirrors. The housings and bases you use from your current ones AFAIK.

upSLIDEdown
05-15-2008, 01:25 PM
I think the base matters, but not the actual mirror housing. From what I understand, the bases are what the "bad angle" comes from. I need to do this. I have 2 mirrors, and a switch. I don't have stock power mirrors though, I have manual. I only really care about the folding function. I can adjust them just by pushing on them, so I don't see a need in running all those wires to actually move the mirrors too, but I guess I could. I dunno. I remember when I got them, I glanced at them and didn't see how the housing actually came off of the base. Anyone got a pic of that? It's been years since I even looked at them, so I may have just missed it.

twistedsymphony
05-15-2008, 01:52 PM
d'oh... I just re-read the tutorial and I caught this that I missed the first time I read it:

JDM housing and triangle mount top (nice and painted body color)
USDM housing and triangle mount bottom (crappy grey plastic)
you can use the JDM ones, but you are retarded if you do. the angle is all wrong so it makes your mirrors almost useless. i tried removeing the metal bracket inside the plastic houseing to see if they are interchangeable and if that would correct the mounting angles, but they are not. The plastic is formed to each one and the metal mounts will not interchange with the mount houseings.

The mirror houseings however, are interchangeable. since i liked my paint better, i kept my USDM housing.

so apparently you can use either and even though the JDM mounts are nicer what makes the mirrors work for LHD or RHD is in the mount itself not the housing... so if you use the JDM ones the viewing angle would be screwed up...

well that sucks... that means I'd need to buy a set of power-folding mirrors AND a new driver's side housing... :-/

upSLIDEdown
05-15-2008, 02:18 PM
d'oh... I just re-read the tutorial and I caught this that I missed the first time I read it:

so apparently you can use either and even though the JDM mounts are nicer what makes the mirrors work for LHD or RHD is in the mount itself not the housing... so if you use the JDM ones the viewing angle would be screwed up...

well that sucks... that means I'd need to buy a set of power-folding mirrors AND a new driver's side housing... :-/

you mean driver's side mount?

boostinS14
12-21-2008, 05:56 PM
heres my problem i cant find the right wires i have the kouki switch
USDM switch
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/yvesss/cars/013.jpg
JDM switch
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/yvesss/cars/011.jpg
wires from USDM chasis
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/yvesss/cars/012.jpg

need your help thanks. which wires connects to the JDM switch

projectRDM
12-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Why'd you cut the plug off?

The JDM switch, if for the same model and year, is a direct plug in to the US harness. All the wire colors match up perfectly. You will then have two additional wires coming out of the switch, these are the folding in/out signals to the mirrors. In fact, even when using the earlier 94-96 switch, the pin out and wire colors are still the exact same, it just uses a different style plug with larger pins. The folding wires should be light green/black and green/black, everything else is the same.

What I would do is if your wiring doesn't match color to color on the new plug, put the US plug back on and reconnect all your OE wires, using solder and heatshrink of course, then depin the those extra wires not being used from the new plug, and pin them into the two empty spots on the old plug. Basically with the mirror switch left OE, not hacked off like yours is, there's two empty spots on the plug. Those are the folding outputs. You can also just wire the new plug straight matched pin to pin, even if the wire colors don't match, as that plug could be from another car.

98s14inaz
12-22-2008, 07:30 AM
...Mostly superfluous in the US...

I disagree. I use them daily when parking in my garage. I usually don't have a passenger so I can park all the way to the right side of the garage and I hit the switch to fold them in so I don't hit anything with the mirrors. I usually fold them anytime I park so some dumbass doesn't hit them or break one off. I get some funny looks at the carwash though.

98s14inaz
12-22-2008, 07:32 AM
heres my problem i cant find the right wires i have the kouki switch
USDM switch
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/yvesss/cars/013.jpg
JDM switch
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/yvesss/cars/011.jpg
wires from USDM chasis
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/yvesss/cars/012.jpg

need your help thanks. which wires connects to the JDM switch

There is a write up on *cringe* NICO. You have to run 2 or 4 (I forget) extra wires from the mirrors to the JDM mirror switch. Once you do that you're golden. The hardest part is threading the wires through the rubber tube in the doors with a coat hanger.

94_240sx
12-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Someone has posted that if you swap the bases to USDM the driver side doesn't fold in flush, but sticks out a bit (compared to the passenger side and what the JDM base does).

Anyone have pics of this with USDM bases and JDM folding motors folded in?

Å

Yup!! They are not even when folded. I'll try to get some pics for you guys.

98s14inaz
12-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Yup!! They are not even when folded. I'll try to get some pics for you guys.

There is a reason for that. The angle of the mirrors when unfolded will suck if you use the jdm bases. You won't be able to see shit and no matter how much you adjust the mirror. At the very least, on the driver's side, use the usdm base, there is a tab you need to grind off but you'll see that when you go to reassemble.

Marcus
12-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Why'd you cut the plug off?

The JDM switch, if for the same model and year, is a direct plug in to the US harness. All the wire colors match up perfectly. You will then have two additional wires coming out of the switch, these are the folding in/out signals to the mirrors.

this one isnt. im not sure what switch he has, but the US harness has only a few of the same colors. take another look at the pictures. the jdm switch that he has has 10wires. the us harness has only 7. two of the remaining wires go to the folding mechanism. but what about the other 1?

projectRDM
12-22-2008, 11:22 AM
this one isnt. im not sure what switch he has, but the US harness has only a few of the same colors. take another look at the pictures. the jdm switch that he has has 10wires. the us harness has only 7. two of the remaining wires go to the folding mechanism. but what about the other 1?

I did, pics are blurry as hell on my monitor. It's probable that the extra wire is for the defrost option, some JDM cars came with both folding and defrost mirrors. That would be the only thing different but I don't know if the chassis would be prewired for it. Like I suggested though, using the OE plug and pinning the two folding wires in or just wiring straight pin to pin will work fine, the pinout for the mirror control is the same for either switch.

Om1kron
12-22-2008, 12:36 PM
oh oh oh I want to do this!!! fun fun fun more electrical stuff... *slaps forehead.

94_240sx
12-24-2008, 09:59 AM
There is a reason for that. The angle of the mirrors when unfolded will suck if you use the jdm bases. You won't be able to see shit and no matter how much you adjust the mirror. At the very least, on the driver's side, use the usdm base, there is a tab you need to grind off but you'll see that when you go to reassemble.

I swapped both driver and passenger side bases and I can see with no problem, but this happens when folded. They are not even, but that's okay with me.

- They will be even when folded if you use JDM bases, but you can't see anything because angles screwed up.
- They won't be even when folded if you use USDM bases, but you can see rear well.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/sxj6151/NICO/IMG_3591.jpg

You can see difference clearly in this picture.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/sxj6151/NICO/IMG_8919.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/sxj6151/NICO/IMG_8923.jpg

boostinS14
01-03-2009, 11:42 AM
alright guys the 2 wires left on the mirrors are orange and pink the orange wire goes to the Green/black/silver wire and the pink wire goes to the green black wire on the JDM switch

Asmar
02-25-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm having problems wiring up my JDM S14 power folding mirrors. I searched various different forums to find an answer but still no answer... I have used the following write-ups:

- S13 Power Folding Mirror Install: 240SX Technical Forum: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub (http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=253619&page=1)
- Write-Up: JDM S14 Power Folding Mirrors - Northwest Nissans (http://www.northwestnissans.com/board/showthread.php?t=90169&highlight=jdm+s14+power+folding)
- http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/130592-how-install-s14-power-folding-mirrors.html

The second write-up on that list is my write-up which shows how to install the mirrors, not how to write them up using the switch I have. Here are pics of what I'm talking about:

Wires from the car:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii27/Usmen/JDM_S14_Power_Folding_Mirrors_01.jpg

1. Blue/Black
2. Black
3. Orange
4. Blue/Red
5. Yellow/Blue
6. Purple/White
7. Yellow/Black

Also not pictured are 2 extra wires coming from the mirrors, the Orange and Pink wire which are used for the folding function of the mirrors.

Wires from the JDM switch:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii27/Usmen/JDM_S14_Power_Folding_Mirrors_02.jpg

1. Green/Black
2. Purple/White
3. Black
4. Light Green/Black
5. Yellow/Blue
6. Yellow/Black
7. Light Green/Red
8. Light Green
9. Blue/Black
10. Blue/Red

I wired up all the colors that matched and connected the Green/Black and Light Green/Black wires to the Orange and Pink wires (used for the folding function), but still nothing happened. The mirrors won't fold or adjust. There is nothing wrong with the mirrors ad there is nothing wrong with the wiring (by that I mean all wires are connecting the way they are supposed to be connected).

I used this to match up wires on the mirrors:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii27/Usmen/JDM_S14_Power_Folding_Mirrors_04.jpg

I matched the wires up the way are supposed to be by looking at this JDM adapter/connecter.

Wires from the car, wires from the JDM switch:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii27/Usmen/JDM_S14_Power_Folding_Mirrors_03.jpg

So I don't know I'm doing right or wrong... I can't figure this out... If anyone could help me figure this out that would be really great... Thanks!

projectRDM
02-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Dammit, I hate when people don't read.

Where's your old plug? The pinout is the same. Match pin to pin, simple. The wire colors *should* match but don't always, so don't go by that. Even easier (would have been had you not got crazy with the wire cutters) is to just depin the new plug and take the two folding wires out of it, snap them into your existing plug.

Asmar
02-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Dammit, I hate when people don't read.

Where's your old plug? The pinout is the same. Match pin to pin, simple. The wire colors *should* match but don't always, so don't go by that. Even easier (would have been had you not got crazy with the wire cutters) is to just depin the new plug and take the two folding wires out of it, snap them into your existing plug.

I already read your post above about this and it didn't work. If I were to use my old USDM plug with the JDM switch the mirrors should adjust and not fold until I add the extra 2 wires needed to make the mirrors fold. They won't even adjust. Not having the 2 wires connected, the mirrors should still adject but they don't and there is nothing wrong with the wires or the mirrors. Could it be a fuse? If so, what fuse should I check? Also where exactly do I put the 2 extra wires from the JDM plug into the USDM plug?

projectRDM
02-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Very easily a blown fuse. You go cut up shit, typically that happens. Check ALL the fuses, inside and out. IIRC the orange wire is the power, check it for +12V also. Make the system work correctly first, then go from there.

Asmar
02-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Very easily a blown fuse. You go cut up shit, typically that happens. Check ALL the fuses, inside and out. IIRC the orange wire is the power, check it for +12V also. Make the system work correctly first, then go from there.

If I wire up all the USDM wires and not the wires for the power folding function will the mirrors adjust function work?

projectRDM
02-26-2009, 08:36 AM
If I wire up all the USDM wires and not the wires for the power folding function will the mirrors adjust function work?

If the switch and mirrors indeed work, yes. Again, the pinout is the same, the JDM switch just adds two wires. There's no other difference in the switch.

bewst pewp
03-04-2009, 08:32 AM
nice jdm awesomeness

now i'm deff ordering mine

tinys s14
03-04-2009, 06:11 PM
could you just install the entire mirror insted of pullin out the motor?

holemilk00
03-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Nice write up, subscribed....

ViperBiteLV
05-10-2009, 07:38 AM
I swapped both driver and passenger side bases and I can see with no problem, but this happens when folded. They are not even, but that's okay with me.

- They will be even when folded if you use JDM bases, but you can't see anything because angles screwed up.
- They won't be even when folded if you use USDM bases, but you can see rear well.

You can see difference clearly in this picture.

First of all - Thanks for the great instruction. Used it step by step to do my mirror conversion. :)

Second - I can also approve that if you use USDM base for mirrors, they will not fold evenly on both sides!!! :tweak: At first I was shocked and thought that one motor might be faulty, but after reading that other's have the same problem, I started to understand why.

Has someboby thought of a way for both mirrors to fold evenly?

alkemyst
05-10-2009, 09:24 AM
what stops the motors when turning in? If it's a physical block with a draw sensor on the motor...someone should be able to machine the 'block' so it allows it to close inward more.

ViperBiteLV
05-10-2009, 10:15 AM
what stops the motors when turning in? If it's a physical block with a draw sensor on the motor...someone should be able to machine the 'block' so it allows it to close inward more.

I think it's a physical block, due to the base angle.. as i can imagine, the JDM base angles make the mirrors fold evely, but the USDM makes one fold more closer to window than JDM and on the other side it doesn't fold as close as needed (as JDM base), because the base angles are different.

twistedsymphony
06-07-2009, 06:22 PM
ok so I FINALLY got time to install these things, everything is wired up but I just have to feed the two folding wires into the connector.

The wiring section of this tutorial seems all screwed up to me
- the switch in the picture is for an S13 (you can tell because it's horizontal and not vertical)
- the connector doesn't look look like the mirror connector in my S14, differen't shape/different pin layout
- the wiring colors don't match up with the factory wiring in my S14
- the section that tells you what wire to connect to what only lists 7 wires and there is 10 on the connector (where are the other 3?)

-----------

The wires that come off of my JDM mirrors for the folding function are Pink and Orange... I've hooked them directly to a battery and folded them in and out to confirm this.

Here is a picture of my USDM mirror harness, still wired up, I haven't cut anything. pins 1 and 6 go to the folding function since those are the only pins on the JDM switch that are not used on my USDM connector.

http://zilvia.net/f/attachments/tech-talk/16408d1244420560-how-install-s14-power-folding-mirrors-mirror_pin.jpg

1 - ?
2 - yellow/light blue
3 - yellow/black
4 - light blue/red
5 - light blue/black
6 - ?
7 - orange
8 - (not used)
9 - black
10- pink/white

all I want to know is which pin (1 or 6) is for pink and which pin is for orange.

I'm mid engine swap right now and and the electrical is all hacked up at the moment so I have no 12V available to test this..

I just need to know which pin is for orange and which is for pink.

EDIT:
I played around with the switch on a multi-meter, assuming that the orange wire (pin 7 above) is 12V and the black wire (pin 9 above) is ground then the mirrors should have the
pin 1 - orange folding wire
pin 6 - pink folding wire

thats how I'm going to wire it up, I welcome anyone who is able to correct the above, hopefully this will help someone else.

wbarrett48473
07-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I started to take apart my jdm mirrors and noticed some extra wires attached to the mirrors that weren't in any of the other pics.

Can someone tell me if these are in fact the power folding mirrors or something different?

Looks like defrost or something to me, but not sure if they are also power folding.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/wbarrett48473/M-plug2.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/wbarrett48473/M-Plug.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/wbarrett48473/M.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/wbarrett48473/M2.jpg

projectRDM
07-01-2009, 03:22 PM
The blue 2pin plug is defrost. Those are rare, good score.

onehundredoctane
07-01-2009, 03:39 PM
You can do it one up and put in UK heated glass too, that's even more fun since you have to fish two extra wires through the mirror assembly, but it's worth it in the winter time.

USDM Z32 heated glass will work in place of the S13 mirror glass.

write that down.

tracking14
07-02-2009, 12:26 AM
nice write up

wbarrett48473
07-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the all the replies guys but now I have another question of how to connect the defrost.

I was able to find a pic of what someone claimed is off of a s14 but it looks odd considering its turned sideways unlike the normal plugs.

This is a pic of it...

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/wbarrett48473/mirror-plug.jpg

Does anyone have any info on this or should I just hard wire the defost to the rear defrost switch?

Any info is greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

MrFairlady
08-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Ok...relay action Time and I HAVE NO CLUE what to get.

Figured out the Basics to the wiring.pretty simple when you get the correct year Mirrors for Same Year USDM model car.

To have these things Fold out (Key On) & Fold in (key off).What Relay Do I need to get and obviously it would need a 12v Switched for Folding out (use Window White Wire),..but would need power to allow them to Fold In,then Stop Correct?? FROM WHERE shall the power come from?

96red240sx
11-07-2015, 01:08 PM
I know this is an older post. Has anyone seen where where side will adjust the mirror and the other side wont? My passenger side works fine. The folding works just fine. My driver side mirror won't adjust. It was was working before I switched the switches.