PDA

View Full Version : HKS Fan Controller Wiring HELP!!!!!!

speedfiend
01-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey guys I just recently purchased the hks digital fan controller from a gentleman on the forums. I currently have dual altima fans wired up to a derale electronic fan controller but it is probe style and I hate it. I understand that the fan controller is meant to be wired into the stock sr20det ecu but this is where I get confused. I currently have my a/c removed. My question is since I have the altima fans and they are not wired up to work directly off of my ecu, how should I wire in the hks fan controller? The wires are so thin I am afraid to wire the controller directly to the fans seeing as they might melt. How should I properly wire up the fans to work correctly? I already have them working with the dual speeds and everything now and I know how to wire up the temp sensor and all that just need to know if I need to wire the fans into the ecu some how and then hook the controller up to the ecu or should I run the controller straight to the fans with some sort of relay setup? Any help is much appreciated. Thanx, Cameron

Eric240sx1990
01-09-2007, 04:48 PM
you dont need any silly fan controller, just hook one fan up to run with the ignition on, and hook the other one to a switch that runs off the battery, ive done that on a few different cars and it works fine. you could even run both of them off of switches. I dont see a point in running through the ecu unless the ecu is acting as the temp sensor relay. just solder them to them to the controller.

koukimonster139
01-09-2007, 04:54 PM
lol theres no gentlemen on zilvia

this all you really needed
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/driftgay/imagesCAOEW7SO.jpg

speedfiend
01-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah I completely understand that it is that simple just buying a switch and wiring it that way but I already have the HKS fan controller so I plan on using it. I especially want it so I can get the temp reading. Anyways back to my question that hasn't been answered should I wire the controller directly to the fan controller even though the wires on the controller are very small or should I do something else? Thanx, Cameron

Jung918
01-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Does the HKS unit come with internal relays or is that the greddy one. If not, then I would use relays.

projectRDM
01-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Exactly, add a relay into the mix, the fan controller will trigger it instead of directly controlling the fan.

Eric240sx1990
01-10-2007, 09:05 PM
how much smaller than the other wires are they? if its not that much different than its ok.
as long as you solder the connection for the controller, then you will be fine. use heatshrink wire shrouds and everything also.

speedfiend
01-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah thanx guys. There is a pretty big difference in wire size so Im just going to go with two relays and inline fuses to be on the safe side. Thanx for the help.

speedfiend
02-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Alright guys sorry to bring this back up but I started the install of the controller and have a few more questions. I have all the relays and stuff done, that was not a big deal. Where I am hung up now is I have to ground wires I know that go directly to a chassis ground. Another ground wire that is supposed to go to the ecu ground. Where exactly is this ecu ground? And also the wire that runs into the water temp sensor, which wire should that run to on the actual temp sensor under the intake manifold? Thanx for all the help. Cameron

projectRDM
02-01-2007, 11:58 PM
ECU ground and chassis ground are the same.

Temp wire is the CTS at the ECU, blue/orange.

speedfiend
02-02-2007, 07:23 AM
alright that is what I figured for the ground. As for the Temp wire is it blue/orange on all sr's? Just wondering since I have the s14 blacktop zenki motor. Thanx Guys

foolishdrift
02-02-2007, 08:39 PM
No, the water temp signal is a blue/brown wire on the sr's, that's how I have my hks fan controller wired up and it gets a signal just fine, though I'm still working out some other wiring issues with it. And yeah you definitely want to use relay's for the wires running the output, then just run the grounds to any chassis ground, all the controller does is "switch" the ground wire at the designated temp to close the circuit thus supplying power to the fans.

speedfiend
02-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Well thought I had it all worked out but I was wrong. I wired the temp wire to the blue/orange wire that the japanese fsm indicates as the temp sensor. Now the fans come on and all my accessories as well when I connect the ground on the battery without having the keys in the ignition. Have no idea what is wrong now but as of now I am far from impressed nor happy that I bought this controller. Just a fore warning to others that want this controller, you better know what the hell your doing before you try to tackle this. I will let everyone know If I get it figured out. Thanx guys.

speedfiend
02-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Well I got the wiring figured out. Now I just have to figure out all the settings and what each mode is. The instructions are absolutely no use. I am just gonna play with it for awhile tomorrow and hopefully ill figure it out. If anyone has a good idea of exactly what each one of the settings and modes is then let me know. Thanx, and thanx again to everyone that offered info on this post especially R240NA.