PDA

View Full Version : large tires on stock body s14...

gotta240
01-09-2007, 02:38 AM
Just got the new tires mounted, and so far so good.

This is on a STOCK body S14 with only rolled front and rear.

REAR- 18x9.5 22 offset Tire=275/35/18 aprox. -2deg. camber
FRONT- 18x9.5 15 offset(aprox after spacer) Tire=255/35/18 aprox -2.5 deg. camber

The rears are SUPER close, but no rubbing issues so far, even when slightly tucked under the rear quarters... The fronts seem to barely hit right before full lock. I'll be fixing this with a sledge soon. Hopefully this helps anyone looking to fit larger tires on their s14....

BoostinGST
01-09-2007, 04:07 AM
so... how about posting some pics.

gotta240
01-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I suppose... I'll try to get picks soon..

Was more just posting to help anyone who is trying to go w/ larger tires in the future... I asked and only a couple people(mainly aceinhole) had good knowledge, so heres a little more to the bucket.

!Zar!
01-09-2007, 10:55 AM
What's the point of starting a thread about mounting tires?

Please if you do take pics remember the pic thread.

Why do you need so much tire? Did you mistake your car for a viper?

koukimonster139
01-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Did you mistake your car for a viper?

dude its a 240, sometimes hard to distinguish with a viper :keke:

!Zar!
01-09-2007, 11:03 AM
I guess I could see this being a track setup, but why have a lower offset upfront?

And which tires did you go with?

McRussellPants
01-09-2007, 11:31 AM
fuck getting pics of that, I want pics of the 255/45/18.

gotta240
01-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Viperfuckingsmiper....

I made a thread about this because when i asked what would fit basically no one knew or had a helpfull word to say(except aceinhole). I see these "whats the largest tire i can fit" threads all the time so i figured this might help someone in the future...

WHY so much tire??!?!?! Better handling/more traction...why else? I'm still trying to get my hands on a 265/35/18 for the front so i wont have as much stagger.

Will be tracking the setup this week, and will get back with feedback.

the tires are bfg kdw's front and falken rears.

NemeGuero
01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
WHY so much tire??!?!?! Better handling/more traction...why else? I'm still trying to get my hands on a 265/35/18 for the front so i wont have as much stagger.

newb.. Scroll down about the last 1/3 of the page.. "Fat or Thin"

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

gotta240
01-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Sorry for being such a newb...(really...I'm still learning a lot)

So, according to your little link, i will be faster around the track with 225 tires on all four corners...right? My bad....I got it all mixed up...I will be slower around the turns and my car will handle worse because i have lots more rubber....

Because we all know..... More Rubber touching the ground=less traction.

Thanks for the link...I must admit it was an interesting read...however, i have driven this same setup with 215, 225, 245, and 255 tires... I'll keep the larger ones...thanks. Do you track your car? If so, what tires do you use?

TurDz
01-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Hey Neme,

I'm glad you linked that webpage because it really resparked my interested on tire mechanics.

When I read the fat or thin writeup, I really had an uneasy feeling that it was correct, especially after he tries to use the idea of constant contact patch to transition into slip angles/lateral forces.

Is it me, or is the pressure variable in P = W/A actually a variable, and not a constant? The only constant I see in that equation, is weight (force). I don't know why the guy assumed that pressure is constant at 30psi. That's the pressure of the tire, not the pressure created by the weight of the vehicle.

I'd like to keep chatting on this. Maybe I'm missing something simple (i'm a bit tired right now).

arian23
01-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Vipers actually run 275 up front with 335 in the back and that a 1st gen. The new one has bigger tires in the back I think. Just thought you should know. haha

!Zar!
01-10-2007, 01:46 AM
Vipers actually run 275 up front with 335 in the back and that a 1st gen. The new one has bigger tires in the back I think. Just thought you should know. haha

The sky is blue.

Sometimes when it's late, it turns a dark color...

What I said was used more as a figure of speech.

NemeGuero
01-10-2007, 02:39 AM
Hey Neme,

I'm glad you linked that webpage because it really resparked my interested on tire mechanics.
Is it me, or is the pressure variable in P = W/A actually a variable, and not a constant? The only constant I see in that equation, is weight (force). I don't know why the guy assumed that pressure is constant at 30psi. That's the pressure of the tire, not the pressure created by the weight of the vehicle.

Well.. it changes.. but not really significantly unless you're running Mickey T's or something. I mean.. generally you have something close to 30psi in a reasonable range of tire choices.

NemeGuero
01-10-2007, 02:40 AM
Sorry for being such a newb...(really...I'm still learning a lot)

So, according to your little link, i will be faster around the track with 225 tires on all four corners...right? My bad....I got it all mixed up...I will be slower around the turns and my car will handle worse because i have lots more rubber....

Because we all know..... More Rubber touching the ground=less traction.

Thanks for the link...I must admit it was an interesting read...however, i have driven this same setup with 215, 225, 245, and 255 tires... I'll keep the larger ones...thanks. Do you track your car? If so, what tires do you use?

Learning is always good. And Touche on the "do you track your car".. however.. I was just helping you educate yourself to prevent you from saying... "I want bigger tires for more traction"...

slow40
01-10-2007, 02:57 AM
^ur link hurts my head

i'm an idiot

jmauld
01-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Hey Neme,

When I read the fat or thin writeup, I really had an uneasy feeling that it was correct, especially after he tries to use the idea of constant contact patch to transition into slip angles/lateral forces.

I'd like to keep chatting on this. Maybe I'm missing something simple (i'm a bit tired right now).

That guy is way off base.

To the original poster, there's a good discussion in the motorsports section on fitting big 18s.

gotta240
01-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Nemeguero- YES i do. I'm getting into it much more now and i am still VERY much a newb at it.

Newbness or not, i strongly disagree with the info on that webite.... To me very honest, i don't have the time to figure(or probably the knowledge) his little equation is correct.

Put it this way, my car isn't THAT much lighter than a corvette and i'm using similar Corvette siezes if not a lil smaller...Corvettes were built for performance, where the 240's were built for mileage/comfort. The 240 did not put the "proper" tire sizes on in the beggining, and i'm doing so now.

If you really think my car will be slower on a track with these huge tires i'd love to hear the reasoning/experience behind it. BTW- rolling diameter is just about the same.

!Zar!
01-10-2007, 09:52 AM
There is more that seporates a 240 from a vette than just name.

They have two different steering geometries and suspension setups.

Not to mention it has the power to scoot around with said tire sizes.

With your logic, you should be able to run the same sizing as a lamborghini; 245/45/ ZR17 335/35/ ZR17.

You remind me alot about people who I work with who say, "Bigger tire is better" You ask them why, and all they can reply with it, "The more tire the better".

Do yourself a favor and read up on slip angle.

Oh yeah, Evan. You better toss some 335's all around on your kart.
:keke:

NemeGuero
01-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Naw.. we're gonna stretch some 315's.. mad tyte dorifto style.

jmauld
01-10-2007, 04:36 PM
With your logic, you should be able to run the same sizing as a lamborghini; 245/45/ ZR17 335/35/ ZR17.

With the logic on that website we should be running a 155/70/13.

Now if that guy would argue that there is a point of dimenishing returns, then I'd be interested in listening. However, the truth is that we can't fit enough tire under our car for this discussion to even be close to relevant.

orion::S14
01-10-2007, 09:07 PM
^^^ I've been hesitant to chime in here, but have read it all so far.

IMO, and having tried a NUMBER of tires sizes and stagger for a "grip" setup...wider is better - Empirical evidence is worth WAY more than theory...and so far, I'm on 255/40-17 on all 4...and want more.

285/30-18 will be faster...I'll put money on it.

So...believe what you want, but until we're debating over whether 305's or 315's are faster...then wider is faster. Fact.

...and so far, there's been no mention of too little heat due to an oversized tire...or overheating an undersized tire. Kinda a large factor on a big track.

- Brian

gsracer
01-10-2007, 10:17 PM
i have put 285's 295s on a 18 by 10 +20 with only a pull and 1.5 deg rear camber .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/gsracer/IMG_2982smll.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/gsracer/IMG_2969small.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/gsracer/IMG_2968small.jpg

I even threw some 305's from my boys GS300 on an 11 inch wide wheels for fun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/gsracer/IMG_2929.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/gsracer/IMG_2931.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/gsracer/IMG_2919.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/gsracer/IMG_2920.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/gsracer/IMG_2925.jpg

gotta240
01-11-2007, 12:39 AM
ok....Lets do this...

To those who agree with that dumb equation....... WHICH OF YOU RACE YOUR S14 on a track, and what tires do you use...

Also, do you ACTUALLY believe that the same car w/ same horsepower will be faster with a 225 tire on all fours than my set-up?

chmercer
01-11-2007, 01:01 AM
that stuff about contact patch being wide and thin vs long and narrow, narrow tires having the same contact patch etc. is retarded because it dosent mention anything about contact patch deformation under cornering/breaking/etc load, in which case the contact patch is bigger/more grip/etc.

who cares that the contact patch is the same size when the car is just chilling. lol. dont need big contact patch to drive the speed limit on the highway.

jmauld
01-11-2007, 04:57 AM
that stuff about contact patch being wide and thin vs long and narrow, narrow tires having the same contact patch etc. is retarded because it dosent mention anything about contact patch deformation under cornering/breaking/etc load,

Or Tire construction, or sidewall strength, or tire pressure. He basically ignores tire pressure and depending on the surface and the outside temperature, my base pressure varies as much as 15 degrees.