PDA

View Full Version : Clutch may be busted, won't go into gear... HELP!!!

DRavenS13
01-09-2007, 01:23 AM
I'm totally stumped right now. I'm going to give my steps in trying to operate the car, and you guys try to give me some advice.

1. Turn on the car.
2. Put into first gear.
3. Notice car will continue to idle.

What's tripping me out is that the clutch engages for the car to turn on, but when i put it into any gear, it will continue to idle like nothing happened.

aznpoopy
01-09-2007, 06:15 AM
are you saying the car idles when it should stall?

koukimonster139
01-09-2007, 07:01 AM
^^ i think hes sayin it just sits there instead of starting to move the car when he lets the clutch out

chibo
01-09-2007, 07:40 AM
That is fucked up. Does it just sit there no matter what gear? Does the shifter feel weird (no gates)?

cotbu
01-09-2007, 08:57 AM
:drama: :drama: :drama: :drama:

Dream240
01-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Tranny?
Or put it in gear, then turn the key(be safe) car should jump forward for 1st gear be prepared. Or look under the car see if tranny still attached.
This is driving me crazy.....!
Any way i think it's the tranny!

WTF?? You think the tranny is gone? How would it get detached from the motor without him knowing it??? wierd :mepoke:

I'm sure it's your clutch system. You might have broke the clutch disc. Stripped the teeth that mate it to the input shaft. If so then you would still be able to put it in any gear, and push the clutch pedal and still have pressure. But the clutch disc would just be free spinning with the motor and flywheel thus no trasnfer to the tranny.

Or maybe your driveshaft got separated from the tranny. But you would still notice a change in the idle rpms.....hmmm. I'm thkning you need to pull the tranny and inspect the clutch, fork, pivot, input shaft, etc.

That's what I would do.

cotbu
01-09-2007, 09:49 AM
:2f2f: :2f2f: :2f2f: :2f2f: :2f2f: :2f2f: :2f2f:

fromxtor
01-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Sounds like I tmight have something to do with the linkage if you can still "shift it" but its not engaging.:( Or the clutch itself its toast.

Dream240
01-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I doubt the linkage. Since it's internal, there's no way for it to get damaged unless it just broke apart (EXTREMELY RARE) and he can feel it shifting from the shifter. I concur it's prolly the clutch assembly.

theicecreamdan
01-09-2007, 12:56 PM
sounds like the clutch is just done... was it ever slipping before? usually there is warning.

I spun a bearing in my transmission before, ended up with the same problems. But I knew when that happened and it didn't take long to figure out how I did it.
Transmissions don't like to run without fluid. there was a LOUD screech when I was cruising down the freeway, and then it just felt like I was in neutral in any gear.

Was there ANY problems leading up to this? You're going to have to drop your transmission and start investigating. Clutch is most likely, transmission is a possibility.

DRavenS13
01-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Well, there is a long and sad story that is attached to my car, but long story short, someone did a really effed up thing when my tranny was put in. When I got stranded in Vegas, all it did was grind really badly, which I later found out that it had AT fluid in it instead of gear oil. Tranny was replaced, and all seemed to go well, but then the incident I described was the outcome. It doesn't grind anymore, but any attempt to put it in any gear (including reverse) was met with nothing. I could hear the fork moving around, but nothing but idle. I think it is the clutch too, just because I replaced the tranny and it didn't grind anymore.

And before you flame me, yes, I realize that I should have had the clutch checked prior to putting in the tranny, but I honestly didn't think the clutch was the problem at the time.

DRavenS13
01-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Bump... plz help...

johngriff
01-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Either the linkage dropped out inside the gearbox, or you no longer have a clutch, because even a destroyed clutch will engage.

This thing HAS to be taken apart and inspected.

Who did the service to it?

Eric240sx1990
01-10-2007, 08:40 PM
it seems to me that the clutch is destroyed. like everyone else said have it taken out and looked at. just drop the tranny out and check the clutch.

DRavenS13
01-10-2007, 09:02 PM
kay thanx for the advice.

Dream240
01-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Either the linkage dropped out inside the gearbox, or you no longer have a clutch, because even a destroyed clutch will engage.

This thing HAS to be taken apart and inspected.

Who did the service to it?

A destroyed clutch will still engage/disengage? Interesting. I've never tried to drive a car with a destroyed clutch. Are you talking no friction material, only metal plate contacting flyhweel?

blue2turbo
01-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Clutch is toast... I had this same issue with my MR2 when I did my first JDM swap. I didn't change the clutch (I know I am a moron) I just did fluids, belts, etc. threw the motor and tranny in there... finally got it all running, put it in gear while it was idling, let off the clutch to take it for a test ride... clutch all the way out... car still idling... every gear.

Dropped the tranny looked at the clutch disc (appeard to be a TRD clutch) and all the pads were DESTROYED... there was absolutely nothing left. Put in OEM clutch, and problem solved.