PDA

View Full Version : Idle bad, z32 mafs, runs lean (I think)

krislin
01-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I've searched alot and I can't really find something that'll answer my question. This is really odd. I decided to install a thermostat the other day. Before hand the car idled funny, but exactly the way it had run for about a year now. After the install, it runs like crap, stuttering and some white smoke came off of the turbo elbow. I took out the thermostat, ran the same. Changed plugs, rewired my SAFC II, checked voltages (z32 maf with ignition on, car off was .4 v), new fuel filter, PCV (valve cover blows HARD). Plugs were white tipped, which idicates lean, right?

I pulled my z32 mafs and installed one from a q45, and it runs smoother now, but wont idle. With the z32 mafs, it wouldn't hold RPM at constant throttle, but when you hammered the gas, it took off like a scalded cat. Also holds throttle with q45 mafs, and drives right. No vacuum leaks, and the z32 seemed to be reading fine on the SAFC II, under sensor check. The IACV might be bad, but I pulled it off and cleaned it two days ago. Oh yeah, temp sender is new, resistances checked out correct.

Any ideas appreciated. I checked resistances on the z32 mafs...

With the MAF in front of me with the flow from left to right (1-4, left to right):

1 and 2, 5.70 kOhms
1 and 3, 5.70 kOhms
1 and 4, 18.03 kOhms
2 and 3, 0.00 kOhms
2 and 4, 12.16 kOhms
3 and 4, 12.16 kOhms

:hammer:
the smilely on the left is my car

-Kris

Wei240
01-05-2007, 02:42 PM
is the afc setting right for the maf? i think it's like 2 in and 6 out or whatever it is...

krislin
01-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Yes, the setting was 2 in 6 out, now it's 1 in 6 out for the q45 mafs. I tested compression also today...was 180, 165, 170, 168. I dunno if this is good, but it's within 15% of each other...that's 1-4 btw. I found that if I turn up the mixture on the SAFC to +50% it runs good, so it's been running lean, but what could be causing it?

Today I changed all the fuel lines (including the two on the tank) and put on a new fuel filter. Fuel pressure regulator maybe? If so, what car do I get it from?

Thanks again

-Kris

Oops, forgot that it idles now that the fuel is turned way the hell up....