PDA

View Full Version : Recommended lap timers/transponders?

mehsilvia
01-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Ive run a few searches with little results. Just wanted to know if anyone could recommend an inexpensive lap timer or transponder?
Mostly intersted in basic lap time recording and review.
Thanks -

Replicant_S14
01-04-2007, 10:18 AM
They're all kind of expensive for what they are. I'd try ebay. Maybe you can find a used one that someone is trying to unload. They aren't complicated and it's not like they wear out or anything.

I've used a Intercomp one that worked well and the last time I went to a trackday I made one.

UNITEDMASTER
01-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Hello look into lap timers and beacons for karting use sone of them are effective for cars . Or look in some SCCA classifieds I see that stuff all the time G/L PEACE

Fat Felix
01-04-2007, 11:14 AM
what is expensive?

Look into the Aim sports(www.aimsports.com) systems. Those record lap times(at the very least) as well as give you a dope gauge cluster(rpm, and other meters depending on the model you buy).

mehsilvia
01-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah, ive been on eBay and the SCCA NASA Classifieds, and most are all still around the $300+ range (used)

And i wondered about the karting ones. They seem to be much cheaper and I was just wondering how effective they are on auto's. Sounds like they may work.

I was interested in what some of you guys are using, and I know most of you have researched the cheapest solutions.

Thanks guys.

Macadoshus
01-04-2007, 12:52 PM
what is expensive?

Look into the Aim sports(www.aimsports.com) systems. Those record lap times(at the very least) as well as give you a dope gauge cluster(rpm, and other meters depending on the model you buy).

Yeah, the AIM Sports stuff is radical. We will be running them on a few of our cars this season. Just did a group buy on their clusters.

Replicant_S14
01-04-2007, 01:46 PM
And i wondered about the karting ones. They seem to be much cheaper and I was just wondering how effective they are on auto's. Sounds like they may work.

As long as it works with I.R. they're probably fine.... or if your track has a strip, a magnetic pick-up would work if you get it low enough. Some of the data-aq stuff might not work. Check some bike sites too. You want it for HPDE type stuff right?

mehsilvia
01-04-2007, 01:56 PM
As long as it works with I.R. they're probably fine.... or if your track has a strip, a magnetic pick-up would work if you get it low enough. Some of the data-aq stuff might not work. Check some bike sites too. You want it for HPDE type stuff right?

HPDE is exactly the use. I checked out AIMSports and that MyChron TG Lap Timer looks perfect. Portable, with IR Beacon for around $250. Something to keep an eye on and search around for.

nsany(atl)
01-04-2007, 04:23 PM
the coolest one out there
http://www.traqmate.com/

Replicant_S14
01-05-2007, 07:23 AM
the coolest one out there
http://www.traqmate.com/

Those are cool. Have you used one Chad? I've always wondered how accurate it really is. They claim is good for 10ths, which would be fine, but I just wonder if 10ths is a best case type thing.

nsany(atl)
01-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Those are cool. Have you used one Chad? I've always wondered how accurate it really is. They claim is good for 10ths, which would be fine, but I just wonder if 10ths is a best case type thing.

no but I want to get one. If you figure the old style timers you have to press a button every time at the start finish line, i am sure your reaction will be off at least a 10th every time.

Replicant_S14
01-05-2007, 08:58 AM
no but I want to get one. If you figure the old style timers you have to press a button every time at the start finish line, i am sure your reaction will be off at least a 10th every time.

The Intercomp one, and even the one I made, cycled and stored the laps automatically. The I.R. trigger was like hitting a "lap" button on a stopwatch. Still tho, 10ths is plenty close for any of us. If my driving was good enough that I was within 100ths each lap, I'd be doin' that shit for a living.:naughty: