PDA

View Full Version : XS power-Exhaust Manifold Rebuilding.

jobestudios
12-30-2006, 04:23 AM
Okay so I just bought this XS Power exhaust manifold for 80$ and I plan on putting it on my new setup. I am wondering, is it worth it to send it to a welding shop to be cut apart at the welds and rewelded. The welding looks a little suspicious. Does anyone know how much a welding shop would charge to do this, I dont care about the look of it, as long as they're sturdy and dont cause turbulence inside the runners.

I also plan on fabricating a bracket to my turbo elbow off the block to reduce exhaust manifold strain so its not all resting on the manifold.

Cliff: Is it beneficial to have a SSAC/XS Power manifold rewelded at a welding shop.

redsuns3838
12-30-2006, 12:34 PM
I wouldnt bother, but it depends on the use of the car and how hard you push it. Id just wait until it cracks and have the crack welded shut.
keep your stock mani handy for when that happens.

j20accord00
12-30-2006, 12:38 PM
I have a xs power manifold on my blacktop..its a top mount setup, with a 2871r the welds on mine are really good..and a buddy of mine was tire of buying new manifolds for his EVO so he bought one off ebay too..hes putting down like over 400 to the wheels..been holding up for months now. so i think you'll be alright..jus do what redsuns said deff. keep ur stock mani around you never know. good luck

-Evan

koukimonster139
12-30-2006, 12:38 PM
I wouldnt bother, but it depends on the use of the car and how hard you push it. Id just wait until it cracks and have the crack welded shut.
keep your stock mani handy for when that happens.
^^ wha?
thats retarded.

why would you even buy it then? with what your going to pay to have it cut, ground, rewelded, ground again and polished you could have bought a decent mani by now.

btw if you are going to be "fabricating" a bracket to the elbow then why cant u play legos with the mani urself instead of taking it somewhere? :ugh:

Wykydtron
12-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Rick (Ghost-Dancer) cut his up and rewelded it. He said once you fix the welds it will last you a long time. Ask him next time you see him online ;)

markyboi
12-30-2006, 02:21 PM
^^ exactly wat i was thinking

shane_lxi
12-30-2006, 02:34 PM
If you have the means, cutting it and rewelding it would not be a bad idea. I was talking to a guy at golden gardens last year with a xs power mani on his sr'd 510. He had nothing but complaints about the welds. But, about 3 of my friends up here in washington run xs mani's with no problems. Run it as see what happens if you cant afford the rewelding.

Eddie@Performance
12-30-2006, 07:45 PM
XS power as in the company that makes those crappy Chinese SSautochrome manifolds?

I think its cheaper to just get a new manifold then to fix that one IMO.

Wykydtron
12-30-2006, 08:27 PM
^^ exactly wat i was thinking

He also mentioned it was like paying for the HKS, it hasn't given out since.

jobestudios
12-30-2006, 08:49 PM
I got the manifold for 80$ brand new so it wouldnt kill the bank to pay like 200$ to have it cut and rewelded, I wont have them worry about appearance tho, as long as the welds are strong

btw if you are going to be "fabricating" a bracket to the elbow then why cant u play legos with the mani urself instead of taking it somewhere?

Because I know how to weld but when it comes to something as important as manifold, I'll bite the bullet and let a pro take care of it, but making a simple bracket doesnt require too much expertise

Anto
12-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Well, I personally think that it would be better to spend the money on a nice flexpipe & make sure your exhaust hangers & motormounts are in good condition. Hell.. solid motormounts even..

S14DB
12-30-2006, 10:39 PM
If mine ever breaks I'll just buy another off eBay. Have to buy 5 or more to come to the cost of a brand name manifold.

Hell, when I get some extra money I'll just buy one and leave it on the shelf as cheap insurance.

jobestudios
12-31-2006, 11:23 AM
I've already upgraded my hangars, and I have solid mounts, I dont want to do flex pipe though.

rossfashow
12-31-2006, 01:11 PM
tomei exprere for 500$$

Wykydtron
12-31-2006, 02:19 PM
I've already upgraded my hangars, and I have solid mounts, I dont want to do flex pipe though.

:-/ I don't think thats going to help you one bit. I remember engaging in a discussion the other week about having to tighten the bolts on the j-pipe every month. It was brought up to get softer exhaust hangers and a flex pipe to reduce vibration. It also helps prevent damaging the manifold when the engine torques. :aw:

Eddie@Performance
12-31-2006, 03:08 PM

Flex pipe is highly recommended for tubular type manifolds, the 300ZX suffers the same problem with tubular manifolds, they crack after a while because of the lack of flexibility. Stock cast iron units are alot stronger and can withstand the movement but tubular type manifolds are alot thinner material gauge so it tends to crack more easily. Flex pipes arent expensive, they cost less then Ebay manifolds, so why not get them?

:-/ I don't think thats going to help you one bit. I remember engaging in a discussion the other week about having to tighten the bolts on the j-pipe every month. It was brought up to get softer exhaust hangers and a flex pipe to reduce vibration. It also helps prevent damaging the manifold when the engine torques. :aw:

I personally dont like the idea of a solid aluminum motor mount, someone made one for the 300ZX as well but every bolt and nut on the car starts to come loose, and fall off. I think a Nismo, or a urethane mount should do well enough for most applications.