PDA

View Full Version : off idol and flame comming out the exhaust

DrifteRs13
12-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Ok, i recently posted a thread about the maf sensor, after i got that on it worked but the idol is way off, jumps from 500 to 1200. also i only have a cat and oem pipe from exhaust(cut). should it be shooting flames when idoling. it costanly dose it. also after drivine for 15 min the car cuts of wile in motion when i put in my clutch/nutral, dose that have somehting to do wiht the timeing. i checked the guage for temp. but its in the middle. im gonna take it to mineky tomarrow, but i needed some input first.

BOROSUN
12-28-2006, 07:50 PM
lol, i think that cat should be dead by now.

DrifteRs13
12-28-2006, 07:57 PM
yeah. well thanks for the help lol

ronj
12-28-2006, 09:06 PM
If its blowing flames your cat is wasted!!!! You also have a timing issue. What engine do you have????

DrifteRs13
12-28-2006, 09:10 PM
ka24de.............ml

aznpoopy
12-28-2006, 10:48 PM
did you ever time your car.

timing off will make the idle weird.

also clean out your IACV. search.

DrifteRs13
12-28-2006, 10:54 PM
no i didnt have to go today sometime what about the cuting of in nutral after a few min

Dream240
12-29-2006, 05:51 AM
Drifter....

Why do you keep posting threads about the same stuff? In your last thread we already told you what to do. CHECK THE TIMING!!!!! Then go from there.

If you haven't done that yet then get to it. Trust me you should do that yourself before you take it to Meineke (or wherever). It sounds like you had the time yesterday from your last post......so why aren't you doing the stuff we're telling you to do to fix your car????? You baffle me.

I have a feeling you aren't going to listen to us and take your car to a money stealing shop anyways.

You say you used to work on hondas, well that tells me that you have SOME automotive knowledge, or you really don't and you just had OTHER people do all the work for you.

Look I'm not trying to bash you but, I've heard your story a thousand times.
"My car isn't working right.....what could it be??? Oh thanks for the tip I'll look into that." (later....) "Ummm Goodyear told me that I have unicorns shitting in my filters....is that bad?????"

Dood, you've got to be willing to put in the wrench time or you're never going to really learn about 240s, or any cars for that matter. I know it might seem intimidating but we all started somewhere.

Here's what you need to do: (PLEASE listen)
1. DON'T go to a shop just yet.
2. Go buy a Chilton's or Haynes manual from your local auto shop.
3. Rent a timing gun....should be free as long as you return it. Worst case you buy one for 40 bucks.
3. Look up the section that tells you how to set the timing.
4. Finish that task then start up the car.....how's it running? Still got flames?
5. Post your results on this thread so we can help you from there.

As far as your idle jumping around and car dying, sounds like you have an EGR or IACV problem. That will come later.
I'm not trying to pick on you but I felt this needed to be said. If you want our help, then you have to help-us-help-you!!! :)

jrmiller84
12-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Dood, you've got to be willing to put in the wrench time or you're never going to really learn about 240s, or any cars for that matter. I know it might seem intimidating but we all started somewhere.

Agreed. Learn by doing. I don't know half as much as most of you guys but I won't hesitate to get some grease on my hands before asking questions.

DrifteRs13
12-29-2006, 10:07 PM
ok cool thanks i appreacite it but i just dont have the time for just jumping around and beating around the bush on stuff. im at work 40 hours out of the week<manager> and i just need it to be fixed, its my only car right now. i got it for 500$ because my integra was hit by a deer. yes i did work on hondas but i didnt have a job that i work at all the time. but i will try to do that wiht the timeing gun. i got a exhaust<witch i was getting anyway> but i just dont what the open flames right under my chassy. if it comming out the very back im not TOO worried about it but the cutting out is the bigger issue to me. what do i do about that, and will the exhaust help wiht diluting the flames?
i will get it timed when i have the time to do that. so pleace dont flame on that i know it needs to be dont

nissandr1ft
12-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Timing a 240 should only take at most an hour if you literally pull the distributer out, make sure your at TDC and point the rotor at 1. Then after that time it with a gun. If you havent pulled the distributor out, and it ran fine before. Just undo the to 10mm bolts, and turn the distributer till it sits towards the center of range...or if thats where it is move it slightly one way or the other and see if it runs better.

bamaboy
12-30-2006, 10:25 AM
if you don't have time to work on your own car just because you work 40 hours a week then you must be a hell of a sleeper. Do you realize some of us work full time, go to school, have a significant other and/or children, and still find time to do trivial maintenance/preventative maintenance and repair/modify our cars. Stop being lazy!!!! Put down the keyboard, lose the PS2 controller, skip Grey's Anatomy Sunday, and fix your fucking car before you type another word.

Dream240
12-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Drifter:

I'm not flaming on you just for the sake of cracking jokes. I'm just trying to stress the importance of putting forth the effort to learn 240s correctly from the get go.

And just so to give you an example, I work 50-60 hours a week counting overtime and I still found the time to get my tranny swap done in three days. So I understand your concern with the time factor but IMO if you are really dedicated to learning about these cars you gotta get your head under the hood.

As far as the timing concern, have you ever pulled the dist. out of the engine since you owned it? Or has someone else, that you know of? If so then that's prolly why your idle is messed up. Did you get a repair manual yet? Chilton's works pretty good. Keep us posted I really want to see you get this thing running.

Late.

DrifteRs13
12-30-2006, 04:04 PM
well the fack that im 16 work 40 hours a week and go to school liveing at home. Yeah that dose make a diffrence. as for dream 240 i appreicate the time you a takeing to help yeah i have go tthe manual and will do the timeing tonight.