PDA

View Full Version : axle stress........?

Team Rootbeer
12-27-2006, 10:35 AM
ok, search is being wack, and i dont think ive ever seen anything posted about this so, here goes....

i have a j30 rear end with the abs rings. 5bolt axles. i THINK its a 93.
its makes a knocking sound as im accelerating, not even hard accel. just regular driving. almost like the 5 tabs on the axles/outputs and smacking against something as they rotate, but they arent. NOTHING is rubbing, and thats why im so confused.

my question is that can you put too much stress on the axles by being too low? i mean, i dont hear of anyone else with this prob, and there are PLENTY of slammed s14s here. could it just be a broken axle?...im out of ideas.

so, any help is appreciated of course, and if youve had the same problem post up, so i dont feel so crazy :loco:

Slidin240Wayz
12-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Knocking sound during acceleration?

I suggest checking the following:

1) Suspension Arms
2) Driveshaft connection to the pumpkin

Carlos

SoSideways
12-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Also check to make sure the front of the diff is still bolted to the subframe. Like, make sure the bushings haven't bit the dust and your pumpkin is just hanging there chillin like a villain.

FaLKoN240
12-27-2006, 11:22 AM
It may actually be the diff pumpkin physically moving, that's the problem I'm currently experiencing.

SoSideways
12-27-2006, 11:39 AM
^^ So..... that would mean that the bolts/nuts aren't tight and is not holding the diff in place?

McRussellPants
12-27-2006, 12:20 PM
My axles sucked before I got a welded and they suck even more since I got the welded.

call me when you can hear the spider rattling in the cages while you're crusing.

I should prolly do something about that. =/

aznpoopy
12-27-2006, 01:25 PM
i had this problem after i installed coilovers and subframe spacers.
i swapped out the inner portion of the axle (from the boot to the diff) and installed new diff bushings. voila no more clunk.

Team Rootbeer
12-27-2006, 01:30 PM
i dont think its the diff itself being loose, and the bushings are SPL solid alum ones, so that couldnt be the problem. everythings tight n stuff as far as that goes.

this is wierd shit. gay i say!

i wish i could like record it and let you all here it. its like a slow rotating knock, and then as i go faster, the rhythm of the knock gets faster.

los_inc
12-27-2006, 01:50 PM
how low is low in your case.
maybe something is bent like an arm
or something maybe you have a blown strut

Slidin240Wayz
12-27-2006, 01:56 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHH,
Check your ebrake cables by the driveshaft. It is held up by clips and it can come loose.

Did you check to see if yout driveshaft is on tight with the pumpkin?

Carlos

aznpoopy
12-27-2006, 02:03 PM
i wish i could like record it and let you all here it. its like a slow rotating knock, and then as i go faster, the rhythm of the knock gets faster.

the noise you describe sounds exactly like mine. it was only audible at low speeds. when i drove it would clunk faster as i drove faster. it was inaudible once i was up to a certain speed. the clunk was a low and deep pitched metal on metal clunk.

i had threaded a secondary support bolt for the subframe (on those L-brackets on the sides), so for a while i thought the subframe was loose. i drilled that out and fixed it with a new thread but the clunking wouldn't go away. that's when i shelled out for diff bushings. my friend donated axles from a totalled '97.

original thread for ref:
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=112116

i installed both in one shot because i didn't really care what the fix was. i just wanted it to go away.

since you have bushings already, i suggest getting another set of axles and swapping them out. good luck!

backroadtouge
12-27-2006, 02:27 PM
get your car on a lift, jiggle everything, recheck torqe specs, inspect everything. hate to see you have to buy new axles, but be open to nething

Sir
12-27-2006, 02:36 PM
I did the same setup in one of my cars, but I remember that J30 uses 14mm bolts for axles and S13/14 use 12mm ones, so if you used S13 ones, you most likely have play there.
HTH

Kahl
12-27-2006, 03:15 PM
could be a number of things, I had a similar issue with a welded diff, I think there may have been a bit of weld on my crown gear and it was binding a bit when the diff was rotating.
Can you feel the knocking physically, could be a really bad flat spot or buckled rim?

Team Rootbeer
12-27-2006, 04:05 PM
noooo, no bent susp arms or flat spots. nothing unsafe. just a weird noise.

i think ill try new axles.

liv2drift045
12-27-2006, 06:33 PM
i was hearing a similar noise to this and all my torque was going to one wheel... put there car on the lift and noticed that my driver side rear axel was completed seperated from the hub, as in BROKEN, hopefully this isnt your problem as i assume you've already looked under your car because you said all the bushings and what not are tight

and thats was after a day @ fuji and you didnt mention any hard driving so....

ispypsi
12-27-2006, 11:41 PM
ive developed a noise as well, J30 diff, 5 bolt axles. checked all the susp stuff, just did some brake service recently too anyways. mine is more like a 'wump wump' sound, it's not a metallic noise, more like a rubbing or choo-choo'ing noise. lol. it is speed sensitive, and i even swapped wheels/tires front to back to make sure my tires werent cupping (as i have death alignment). i'm stumped on mine as well, my CV boots on the axles aren't torn, and there is no play in them or leakage. i still get good vlsd action too, but the diff has unknown mileage on it. only things i havnt checked are the DS carrier bearing, and the diff mounts. the sound is more central rear though, if it was the DS i would feel it more i think.

also check the fluid level. mine never leaked, but seemed to have enough of a 'seepage' to get the side of the fill plug all gunky every so often, but hte level is fine still, and i changed it when i got it 2 yrs ago.

liv2drift045
12-28-2006, 12:50 AM
you haven't change you diff/gear oil in two years??

McRussellPants
12-28-2006, 01:07 AM
nobody cares about VLSDs.

NOBODY.

FaLKoN240
12-28-2006, 02:31 AM
I'm getting an S13 diff to fix my S14 diff woes, maybe you should do the same LOL.