PDA

View Full Version : KA24E auto shutting off on freeway

kY.gordon
12-20-2006, 04:33 PM
so i was on the freeway going to the dealership in my auto ka24e s13. cruising at about 2500 rpm and it seems like it jumps out of gear in and auto.. rpm jumps up and down rapidly from 2500 to 4000 and in between a few times then to 0 then i roll for 2 seconds and then it starts right back up like nothing happened.

then just now busting a U and it does it again but not as much plus when parking it feels weak. any ideas?.

basic info

1990 s13
auto ka24e
141k miles
completely stock..

Eric240sx1990
12-20-2006, 04:37 PM
mebbe your fuel pump is going out? i had a honda that when the fuel was low it would do that. and in u turns it would almost shut off then roll.... and then go again.

kY.gordon
12-20-2006, 05:13 PM
i doubt it, just replaced it.

idlafie
12-21-2006, 12:10 AM
any ideas?.

basic info

1990 s13
auto ka24e
141k miles
completely stock..

First & foremost, thanks for posting the basic info...most peep's on here don't!! Couple more questions though.....you the original owner?? Or did you buy your S13 used? If you're the origninal owner, you've either maintained the car or didn't. If you bought it used, then you have no idea what the maintenance history is like..that is, unless you know the original owner. Is the Check Engine Light on? Do you know how to pull the Diagnostic Trouble Codes off the ECU??

Your problem could be due to one thing or a combination of things....a torque converter going bad...bad tranny sensor, bad tranny control unit..it's an auto remember....could also be due to a short in your engine wiring harness, etc., etc. etc.

Only way to know for sure is start with the BASICS. #1). Is the Check Engine Light on?? If so, pull the Diagnostic code. This will entail either buying a Factory Service Manual, (FSM) for your model year car or downloading one from here on Zilvia.Net....you'll have to use the SEARCH function here to find the link. If the Check Engine light is NOT on, and there are NO Diagnostic Trouble Codes listed on your ECU, then you're gonna have to do it the HARD way....troubleshoot using your Factory Service Manual following the listed troubleshooting procedures in the FSM.

The attached link, although not specific for Nissan 240SX's, will give you an idea as to what's involved with troubleshooting transmission problems.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/a/aa072702a.htm

If you're not mechanically inclined or have friends that KNOW how to fix cars, then you might have to take it in to the stealership or your friendly knowledgeable neighborhood mechanic.

Good luck...you're gonna need it....sounds like you've got a doozie on your hands!!

ID

kY.gordon
12-21-2006, 08:22 PM
no check engine light. already started troubleshooting but thanks for the ideas though.

Gnnr
12-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Fuel filter or bad spark maybe? Just throwing that out there.