PDA

View Full Version : Won't release key after swap. Help Please.

lD4RWlN
12-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Anyways, like the title says. My key won't release. Its wierd, I turn off the ignition and I can't pull my key out until the turbo timer is done counting down and shuts the car off. As soon as the engine turns off it will allow me to pull the key out. I did a quick search and didn't come back with anything. lol just ppl who didn't know to push the little button to release the key. Anyways, a little backround on the car:
1990 base model 240sx
Used to be an auto( I figure this has something to do with it)
1jz swap
Blitz TT

I hope someone has answer for this as its annoying and having a TT is pretty much pointless right now.

smelly240
12-16-2006, 07:40 PM
theres a guide somewhere that talks about this - i think it might have to do with the wiring for the inhibitor and shift lock - ill look for it

you had to jumper some stuff in the A/T harness to get it to work right?

lD4RWlN
12-17-2006, 12:09 AM
yea the safety switch was bypassed in order to let the car start.

mrmephistopheles
12-17-2006, 01:20 AM
christ.

pull your steering column covers off and unplug the little solenoid that locks the key in place. IIRC, it's just a little black plug on a spade connector.

lD4RWlN
12-17-2006, 01:27 AM
thanks, I was hoping someone wasgoing to tell me a wire to cut or splice. I was obviously making the matter more complicated than I should have. Thanks for the help.

240silvia
12-17-2006, 01:39 AM
there is a switch on your automatic shifter. black switch with a silver metal piece that clicks up and down. Take it off your auto shifter, plus it into the harness under the center console, and zip tie it clicked down.... done.

lD4RWlN
12-17-2006, 10:44 AM
the car is in another state right now. when i go home for christmas, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.