PDA

View Full Version : best tension rod range 6-8 or 7-9

gotta240
12-10-2006, 05:32 PM
I have a choice between two tension rods

1 has a range of 6-8. Other has a range of 7-9.

I'm leaning towards getting the 7-9 because i hear 8 is ideal. Is there any reason at all i would ever want to go below 7 on caster? EVER?

KiDyNomiTe
12-10-2006, 06:34 PM
At first I had no clue what you were talking about. There isn't really a set range on a t/c rod, there are a few other factors in it. But what are you doing this for? Just daily or drift, or drag, or autox, or road race, etc...

I ran 8.5 now I run 7. In terms of drifting high caster is kinda nice, but too much makes the cars act stupid. I prefer 6.5-7 now, light steering, no funny effects at full lock, and clears big wheels.

gotta240
12-12-2006, 09:43 AM
thanks for the reply!

So what EXACTLY does difference in caster do? I know the further forward it is,the more the wheel will "self center" on its own...but how does it effect turning, etc.

So would it ever be beneficial to go above 8, or is that overkill?

Would it ever be beneficial to go UNDER 8?

thanks guys!

driftenthusiast
12-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Do it and find out! Stock iirc is 7, i know the lowest you could possibly run would be 5, most of the people run higher than stock for the self centering, but lower with help turn in, but too much will make it VERY sensitive. More caster for high speed stability, less for more aggressive turning.

gotta240
12-12-2006, 10:46 AM
i cant "do it and find out"!!!!

I have a choice of getting rods that adjust between 6-8, OR 7-9. I have to decide which rods i want....

anyone else w/ opinions?

AND BTW- 7 is NOT stock... and i think increased castor helps w/ turn in...not less.(could be wrong)

KiDyNomiTe
12-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Positive steering pivot angle helps with high speed stability,cornering response and helps straighten the steering when going forward. Generally speaking more caster is better. Too much caster will make the steering feel heavy. Excessive caster will add negative camber to the outside wheel during turning, altering static camber settings. Sometimes you will lose some steering angle.

I am at 7 right now, had 8, but doesnt clear and dont really need the fast countersteering. So go with 6 to 8, you probably dont want over 8

gotta240
12-12-2006, 11:09 AM
thanks a lot! 6-8 it is....

hot s13 btw...yours?

KiDyNomiTe
12-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Yes it is and thanks