PDA

View Full Version : For the TURBO experts

Freak Leash 240
07-15-2002, 09:05 PM
JGS Turbo is offering the equivalent to an HKS GT3240 for a somewhat reasonable price...

Now, my intrigue lies in that I can't find any type of flow chart (or any information for that matter on that unit) except pictures and that it's used (x2) a lot on 800+ HP drag GT-R's.

This turbo was recommended by JGS as an alternative to a T3/T4 when I asked about upgrading to a ball bearing for my stock-internals-KA... would this be too big if I'm looking for T3/T4-like response (full boost before 4k RPM) and about 350rwhp?

I appreciate any input! TIA

P.S. Looking at the pic, it doesn't look like a HUGE overkill turbine housing:
http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/L_1168.jpg

El Freako

uiuc240
07-16-2002, 08:01 AM
the 3240 is a pretty large beast.  talk to derek greaser about his GT3037.  i don't think he hits boost until the mid 4's, and that's with a set of big cams in it too.  you're going a step larger than that.  by the way, he made 450 hp with the 3037 before his metal head gasket let go (wrong one, IIRC).  you would be better off with something around the size of the GT2835 (my personal dream turbo).  but honestly, NONE of these compare in terms of price to a nice T3/T4 from Turbonetics or someone like that.  the HKS is going to run you around $2k...is the copy made the same way?  full cartridge ball bearings?  if not, it's not the same thing....

Eric

boosteds14
07-16-2002, 08:39 AM
well since u will be running on stock internals, u are only limited to a certain amount of boost. like 10-12psi, u can push it to 15psi with the right fuel setup. the 3240 is perfect for high boost setup for the ka, since u will not be boosting at high numbers, i believe a small turbo would be great for better response. it is not worth getting a turbo that is laggy and wont boost until 4k for a mild boost setting. the price is another factor.

Freak Leash 240
07-16-2002, 02:04 PM
Kewl beans, thanks a lot guys... my guess wasn't that bad after all.

The Freak

West
07-16-2002, 03:46 PM
I had the HKS 3037 on my KA-T with intent to build the motor but I never got a chance to do so. I had ported internals and some pretty agressive cams along with this setup. It hit full boost about 4k rpm, IMO if your not building your engine then this turbo is WAY overkill. Its not even going to be used in a effecint way at all so your not going to get anything but lots of lag with no reward in your high RPMs. I switched from the 2510 turbo which spooled in fully @ 3krpm and pulled just as hard to redline as the 3037. IIRC the 3037 is good for 500rwhp, and the 2510 is good for 270-350rwhp. So if your planning stock internals stick with a smaller turbo. The 3240 would be pointless.

Freak Leash 240
07-17-2002, 07:30 PM
Mark,

What compressor trim and A/R was your GT3037? and also, what kind of flange did you get? I heard they can be made with a T3 flange, but haven't seen one or heard of anyone who's had it this way.

El Freako

The Freak