PDA

View Full Version : sr idle issues.

mattx7
11-23-2006, 06:10 PM
heres all i know.

its an 89 s13 coupe with a redtop sr20det.

the idle doesnt surge up and down when its cranked so it didnt seem like a vaccum leak.

the maf is good, its a sohc maf, running the sohc maf plug.

aicv is clean, vaccum pressure is at 17 at idle, compressions is 150ish on each cylinder. im running open dp. new plugs, new fuel filter.

the 02 sensor is not connected and where its supposed to go in the turbo extension. theres a peice of pipe threaded in there and pinched shut.

it holds idle fine when its stopped, i can push the clutch in while in gear it will hold idle, put in in neutral when its stopped and it will hold an idle.

when im driving, it hessitates terribly when it hits boost... i let off the gas and it backfires alot...ALOT. and if i put it in neutral when driving it stalls. when i push the clutch in when driving it stalls unless i put it into gear really fast and give it gas.

koukimonster139
11-23-2006, 06:33 PM
lol

buy/build an exhaust?

mattx7
11-23-2006, 06:56 PM
do you think i just dont have backpressure? that was another thing i was wondering about.

koukimonster139
11-23-2006, 07:07 PM
no shouldnt really matter it is turbo right
anyway im guessin your gonna want to throw an o2 sensor in it.

mattx7
11-23-2006, 07:24 PM
so you think the 02 senser may be the cause, im new to fuel injection.

sorry man im used to a carb'd rotary.

abunai the drifter
11-23-2006, 07:39 PM
sounds like u need to swicht to a sr maf or a z32 and ur vac should be at 20in of murcury try

mattx7
11-23-2006, 07:40 PM
you know what, i just put new plugs in about 3 days ago, last night i looked and the injectors werent grounded... grounded them and they turned on and sure enough, pulled the plugs and they were fouled. would leaky injector o-rings cause me to stall while driving but not at idle?

koukimonster139
11-23-2006, 07:49 PM
no, but flooding the engine due to the ecu thinking its running rich due to no o2 sensor might...
also you need the sr maf

mattx7
11-23-2006, 08:40 PM
no, but flooding the engine due to the ecu thinking its running rich due to no o2 sensor might...
also you need the sr maf

wouldnt it do that at idle while stopped as well? i mean it sits there for the longest time in neutral with no problem. i rev it and it doesnt hessitate when its not driving.

420sx
11-23-2006, 09:49 PM
u need to get bkr7e plugs. the plugs ben put in the car were from my car. they are old and fouled out.

u need to get

a) an sr maf.
b) check for vacuum leaks.

the maf is the problem im 90% sure

mattx7
11-24-2006, 04:24 AM
u need to get bkr7e plugs. the plugs ben put in the car were from my car. they are old and fouled out.

u need to get

a) an sr maf.
b) check for vacuum leaks.

the maf is the problem im 90% sure

hey alex. i got bkr7e's in there... they fouled out allready.

ben and i check for vacuum leaks and had no sign of one. i think it may be the maf as well. my question is, wouldnt the maf affect it at idle as well? itsw only while the car is rolling. ben wired the plug from an sohc maf in right? and were running the sohc maf. i may try to get ben to rewire the sr plug in and try his sr maf as a test.

mattx7
11-24-2006, 11:45 AM
o2 sensor is in, car acts like it doesnt have backpressure.

alex, ive heard of people running the sohc maf on the redtops, i dont know what to think about it. i havent been able to get hold of ben for like 3 days and i need my car on the road soon. the transmission on the truck is fucking up. i cant afford to be without a vehicle. im going to put an exhaust on it tonight just for the sheer hell of it to see if it works. hell, ben looked for like 5 hours for a vacuum leak and couldnt figure out why it wouldnt hold an idle. then we just put the intake filter on and it idled. so what could it hurt to just try.

mattx7
11-24-2006, 03:03 PM
which reminds me... its the maf haha. im pretty much positive it is.

420sx
11-25-2006, 11:35 PM
just like i told u before. stop tripping out. its the maf