PDA

View Full Version : Car dies after the engine rolls over..Coldstart??

soberjoeS13
11-22-2006, 06:55 PM
okay i have a 91 s-13 with no engine mods yet. When i start my car when the engine is cold it will start and then i have to rev it and hold for about 5 seconds (at about 1500rpm) in order for the engine to stay running. if i do not rev it the car starts and then automatically stalls..some one said cold start? this is a very big annoyance to me if anyone knows what the problem is and how to fix it? thanks

blackej7
11-23-2006, 03:10 PM
I have the same problem with my s13 w/sr20. Seems to only happen when i start my car first thing in the morning, when its like 30-40 degrees outside.

mine normally doesnt die, but it sounds like its going to every time. but after the first 5 seconds of struggling, it idles normal.

no idea what it could be.

lspecz
11-23-2006, 03:14 PM
check you bac valve

soberjoeS13
11-23-2006, 09:15 PM
have you had that problem with your bac valve?

its really an annoyance and it sounds like shit. i cant use my remote start for it either its pissing me off

superduner
11-24-2006, 06:52 PM
haha that sucks. not beign able to use ur remote start i bet thats depressing. but hmm... maybe its not getting enough gas, or the air its taking it its to THICK and/ or heavy. for example if your mass airflow sensor if not good the intake whont have enough air and your engine would be in other words CHOKING (not getting enough air) until you actually ASK for it by steping on the gas.
lmao also take in consideration if its REALLY cold. the oil is thicker and it takes longer for it to circulate and lubricate your system (engine) therfore FORCING the engine.

JUST a few possibilities

blackej7
11-29-2006, 08:06 PM
bump for more ideas because its about to get REALLY cold outside, which is going to make my car start worse..

rps13drift
11-29-2006, 08:43 PM
try spraying some carb cleaner in you iacv. its probably all gunked up! also hows the condition of you fuel pump/filter? maybe your fuel pressure is low when u first try and start it.

blackej7
11-29-2006, 08:51 PM
i actually took the iacv off and cleaned it a few thousand miles ago....

i havent checked my fuel filter though. ill look into it.

thanks!

blackej7
12-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Ok, noticed something in the last 2 weeks.

Normally when I go out to start my car in the morning, I let the fuel pump prime before I start it.

Recently, ive been priming the fuel pump twice, and I havent noticed any stumbling/struggling problems whatsoever....

What does this mean!!! lol