PDA

View Full Version : WTF is this? PCV?

LongGrain
11-21-2006, 09:36 PM
so i bought this CA18DE for my new project, to convert it to RWD and build/turbo it. it was very cheap and only has 25k miles. but i noticed this weird pcv lookin thingy that the JDM CA18DET's dont have, just wondering if someone can shed some light on this subject, thanks.
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8346/ca18deeditedpx0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

boosteds13
11-22-2006, 08:45 AM
They do have the PCV on the intake cam cover, just not in that exact spot. And dude, don't even bother "converting" it to turbo. The DE does not have a crank girdle, no oil squirters for the pistons, and supposedly weaker rods. Not to mention that intake manifold won't work. The alternator and power steering are both in the wrong location. The flywheel is different. You are better off selling off the bare head, coil packs and ignitor and using that towards getting a DET motorset. Just my $0.02, but do what you like. If you need a RWD turbo manifold, I have one for sale :)

smelly240
11-22-2006, 09:55 AM
people love trying to make the fwd motors into rwd on paper - i dunno a lot about the ca motors, but if the dohc head fits a old turbo 200sx bottom end - would that be easier?

LongGrain
11-22-2006, 05:57 PM
They do have the PCV on the intake cam cover, just not in that exact spot. And dude, don't even bother "converting" it to turbo. The DE does not have a crank girdle, no oil squirters for the pistons, and supposedly weaker rods. Not to mention that intake manifold won't work. The alternator and power steering are both in the wrong location. The flywheel is different. You are better off selling off the bare head, coil packs and ignitor and using that towards getting a DET motorset. Just my $0.02, but do what you like. If you need a RWD turbo manifold, I have one for sale :)

lol, dont you think i did some research before i decided to try this? i know about all these differences, and im getting the girdle, pistons, and squirters elsewhere. the rods are the same. why wouldnt the intake manifold work? RB's have the same style intake. anyways. thanks for the uhhh...support. but im still going to try it. why not?. anything is better than a single cam KA with rod knock...

mrmephistopheles
11-22-2006, 06:11 PM
good luck trying to make a FWD Nissan engine work in a RWD configuration.

boosteds13
11-22-2006, 08:40 PM
lol, dont you think i did some research before i decided to try this? i know about all these differences, and im getting the girdle, pistons, and squirters elsewhere. the rods are the same. why wouldnt the intake manifold work? RB's have the same style intake. anyways. thanks for the uhhh...support. but im still going to try it. why not?. anything is better than a single cam KA with rod knock...

Apparently not. Had you done your research, you would have found that the cost to attain all the parts to get your FWD NA motor into a RWD turbo application would exceed the cost of the DET motorset in the first place. And tell me how you plan to just "put the girdle on" the block? They are integrated with the main journal caps on the DET motor. Although nico pretty much sucks in most respects, visit their CA forum. It's the largest US based concentration of CA owners I know of.

punxva
11-22-2006, 09:54 PM
yea just sell the clip, cut your loses and start over with a ca18det if thats the engine that you want