PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel shaking at high speed plz help

s14forever
11-19-2006, 11:56 PM
when i go around 60+rmph the steering wheel shaking a lot. i already do the alignment and balance the tire and stuff but it still shaking. What should i do to make it stop?

MAGILLA
11-20-2006, 12:08 AM
The last Time I had that Problem it ended up being the tire. Check if your tread is shearing off or if it has a slight warp. It sounds like it would be easy to see but some times you have to rotate the tires to see if the vibration changes intensity to a different area.

Kaotik25
11-20-2006, 12:13 AM
how long ago did u do the tire balance? I had the same problem until i got my wheels balanced again then the shaking stopped..the term is wheel shimmy, if the problem is not because of tire balance and alignment then u got suspension and a lotta other stuff..search and here's a link that might help ya out...
http://www3.telus.net/jesstzn/hunterbalance.html

stillmatic
11-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Also check the steering rack bracket/bushings while you're at it.

s14forever
11-20-2006, 01:47 AM
i had it balance about 3-4 months ago. tires are still good and lot of meat left. suspension i had the Tein Flex. i will try to balance the tires and rotate it again. thanks for the help if it still shaking i probably gonna have to check all the thing that cuz the problem .

AllenRPS13
11-20-2006, 01:50 AM
or maybe u have to check the brake disc, it may wrapped

mistaanime
11-20-2006, 01:50 AM
rotors maybe warpped...

reaxion
11-20-2006, 02:19 AM
ir youre doing 60 and you hit the brakes and its shaking, rotors may be the case.

if youre driving and the shaking varies with speed, then the tires may not be balanced or worn unevenly.

FrickU
11-20-2006, 02:21 AM
Rotors, bent wheels, tires, alignment.

OBEEWON
11-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Cheap tires will do that to you too.

Dream240
11-20-2006, 09:09 AM
ir youre doing 60 and you hit the brakes and its shaking, rotors may be the case.

if youre driving and the shaking varies with speed, then the tires may not be balanced or worn unevenly.

okay...I'm gonna help you guys out.

You're right sort-of. Steering wheel shimmy while braking IS the rotors...not maybe. Warped rotors WILL NOT cause a vibration while you're not braking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As far as shimmy at various speeds, wheel balance is usually the culprit. The only other major cause of wheel shimmy is front end damage caused by accidents or major curb rash.

When it comes to tires wearing unevenly you have two things to thank for that. Bad alignment (usually 90% of the time) and poor driving habits (screech braking, hard cornering, poor tire inflation).

NOTE: poor tire wear will not cause a wheel shimmy!!! Tire wear cause vertical (up-and-down) motion not lateral (side-to-side) motion. Lateral vibration is what will give you steering wheel shimmy. Another big cause of lateral motion is a bent rim!!!

The best and always first method for fixing shimmy is getting the wheel balance checked. And on 240s with stock rims (steelies or alloys) have them do a "lug-centric balance" with standard weights. NO STICKY WEIGHTS!!! tires aren't wide enough to allow for an accurate balance.

Oh and check your wheel lugs.....torque to 75 ft lbs.

Class dismissed.

rokmplutonium
11-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Mom's car had the same problem, turned out to be a tire. (over inflation)
You should check each tire and see if they're even.

ledzeppelin240
11-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Tires out of balance, bent rim, or seperated tires cause wheel shimmy like said above.

Also a lot of people come into my work complaining about a shimmy and meanwhile there is 5lbs. of mud in every wheel. So check that...

CV axles will cause a vibration and will be most noticeable under acceleration but our cars are RWD so there are usually not many problems with them. That is just something too look at closely in FWD vehicles.

Rotors do not warp (they can but is a VERY low chance) and on a full floating caliper design you will not notice anything. The pedal pulsating when braking is THICKNESS VARIATION.

OurOnePassion
11-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Mine did that and it turned out to be the ball joint(s). If your car is old and ragged out, you might want to have all of your bushings checked out.

burrcise
11-20-2006, 12:07 PM
I had the same problem....check you wheel bearings.