PDA

View Full Version : confusing steering woes.

jkgaddis
11-14-2006, 08:49 PM
so, i installed my kei office xr's the other day and all seemed well. now, 3 days later, my car pulls. i know about the camber issues when lowering a car and i know about the need of an alignment after any suspension work, but this is strange. it (my car) now pulls, sometimes right and sometimes left. sometimes it feels fine. i thought at first that something may be loose and shifting, so i went over everything like 3 times and its all fine. then i thought, maybe its just the road crown. but no, if its pulling right and i go over to the wrong side of the road it still pulls right. after some driving and thinking, ive ddetermined that it seems to happen mostly after i turn hard one way or the other and then it will pull in that same direction. im really confused. ive had problems on other vehicles before but it would only pull one direction. so now im confused. any ideas?

p.s. i have been searching on this for a few days and will continue to search. so thank you for any help you may provide.

scribbles
11-14-2006, 08:54 PM
There is an off chance the bushings holding your steering rack have worn and have let go.

One of my clients s14's is doing the same thing the whole rack is shifting 2 - 3 inches causeing it to pull heavily in either direction without warning. as well it will come back and driver normal for a while.

These bushings are easy to get, I know energy makes them. But they are a pain to install.

I hope that for you it's something a little less complicated.

hope that helps.

FaLKoN240
11-14-2006, 09:09 PM
It's called bumpsteer.

jkgaddis
11-14-2006, 09:53 PM
the steering rack idea is a definate posiblity. luckily im doing my sr swap next week. hopefully thos bushing came in the master kit i ordered.

as far as the bumpsteer comment, im pretty sure, correct me if im wrong, that bumpsteer is a condition where as your suspension cycles (hitting a bump) your toes changes and your steering goes one way or the other then returns. this is not whats happening. this is why the steering bushing theory is a good one, for this to happen the way it is, something has to be shifting, i just cant find it.

any other ideas?
ill check the steering bushings this weekend while the engine is out.

KA24DESOneThree
11-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Get it aligned. If it still does it, come back. Otherwise, you have no idea and all of our speculation is for naught.

When you lower your car, it decreases camber. Decreased camber increases toe change through camber thrust. Toe change should be minimal but it's a probability.

Worn bushings may also be causing the problem. Now that your upper mounts are spherical, any previous instability may be increased.