PDA

View Full Version : Ls1 240sx Complete

Flat-Black
11-13-2006, 07:07 PM
finished up my ls1 swap a while ago .. just whanted to post up some pics of the completed swap ..

info

2002 ls1 motor all stock tuning
t56- six speed trans
ls7 clutch
ported oil pump
koyo ka24de aluminum radiator with nissan altima dual fans
custom long tubes clears steering and frame rails .
3" 2 into 1 exhaust ( for the street) dyno max muffler .. nice and quiet except when wot
alum drive shaft ( drive shaft shop)
custom mounts and x member
spear tech harness
18x 9.5 wheels on all 4
full drift suspension ]
300zx brakes on all 4

awsome swap .. drove the car crazy fast . cant wait to drift it ..

heres some pics and a video

DYNO CHART ..
[IMG]http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/240sx_dyno.sized.jpg

had a ka24de with carburetors in befor .. just didnt make enough power .
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/CIMG0817.sized.jpg

hood scoop is comming off .. was there for clearance on my previous carb set up
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/240sx_001.sized.jpg http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/240sx_003.sized.jpg
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/240sx_dyno_002.sized.jpg
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/240sx_dyno_003.sized.jpg
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/240sx_dyno_005.sized.jpg
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/240sx_dyno_006.sized.jpg

more vids soon and a dyno .

motor started
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/240sx_004.avi

rev
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/240sx_005.avi

open header with dynomax bullet mufflers at idel
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/240sx_dyno_016.avi

on the dynos
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/240sx_dyno_019.avi
http://www.hostdub.com/albums/paco/240sx_dyno_020.avi

just whent to the scales to get a weight of the car ..

2616 + 165 with me in it . this is with a 1/8 below 1/2 tank .. and i can still save a little by removing all the sound dedening .

a friend has a simaler car with a sr20de non turbo and he was at 2500

both our cars are gutted and pritty much the same except motor

MURPHY
11-13-2006, 07:12 PM
does your rad/fan combo work good?

"spear tech harness " ??

how much was driveshaft shop? and what all did you have to send em?

Flat-Black
11-13-2006, 07:49 PM
the engine has yet to see any temp above 180

www.speartech.com . you send them your stock ls1 harness . your get a stanadlone harness thats 4 to 6 wires to install .

i sent dirve shaft shop nothing .. called em up . told them the lenght i needed and they made it . 450+shipping

MURPHY
11-13-2006, 08:02 PM
so its the same price threw them for standalone as it would be for a normal wiring job threw HSC? haha sweet

and HSC's driveshafts are cheaper.

we need engine pics! :)

does the standalone when you send them your harness include engine light, fuel pump relay and diagnostic port?

WhiteGLX
11-13-2006, 08:14 PM
post some install pics.....im sure alot of people would like to know:

*which headers are your using?
*how did you do the mounts?
*does factory tack and speedo work accuratly?
*what HP did you make on teh dyno with a completely stock LS1?
*Which LS1 are you using? (what L or ci)

pics of anything would be great, this is a new upand comming popular swap, so all info would be great to have.

11-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Badass!!!!!!!!

Nice job.

Irukandji
11-13-2006, 08:44 PM
hey paco, its ben from altamont. good to see your car is finally donnneeee.

HKSdrift3r
11-13-2006, 09:08 PM
that sounds insane!! can not wait to see more vids and pics. dont want to know how much that all cost you because i def cannot afford that.

btw wat size tires you running and suspension?? awesome car!!!!!!

ledzeppelin240
11-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Awesome...What kind of muffler/exhaust system are you running??Sound nice. Nice rims too by the way, get some more pics and specs. up.

MURPHY
11-13-2006, 10:19 PM
wait on the ka koyo what upper/rad hose you using?

whats a ported oil pump help? and i take it a ls7 clutch is an upgrade, right?

any problems at all with your standalone? was it just pretty much plug and play one you got the new harness? and does everything work right?

cmcdougle
11-14-2006, 12:02 AM
that sounds cool. Post some pics of the engine, and of your motor mounts. I would like to see what they look like.

Fun swap. How long did it take?

Flat-Black
11-14-2006, 12:41 AM
i am running headers that i made to fit . pain in the a$$ but well worth it .

custom crossmember to clear oil pan and sit the motor just right

motors a 2002 ls1 5.7

no dyno yet .. possibly tomorrow

speedo not hooked up yet . nor tack

speartech harness cost 450 . well worth in imo . comes with everything you need to make it a sweet simple install . dignostic port as well

ls7 clutch is an upgrade over stock ls1 clutch flywheel set up.

oil pump does help . higher pressure for sustaning high revs

cost of the swap was rediculous .. had to spend lost of monye on trial and error parts , mounts , corssmembers , fans , ext ext . but well worth it

wheels and tires are sport max 962? 18x9.5 all the way around . 245-35-18 azenis front . 265-35-18 ziex in the back .

exhaust is dual dyno max bullet mufflers merged into 1 then out a nother dynomax muffler . makes it nice and drivable on the street . will post up video of staight bullet mufflers . sounds insane.

quach
11-14-2006, 01:25 AM
holy shit paco you finished this shit hella fast! werent you talking about doing this just a couple months ago? this is marcus from altamont by the way. you've got some serious skills man, that shit is sick.

mrmephistopheles
11-14-2006, 02:54 AM
Ah, my car is done! I'll take delivery of it when we get back to the states.
Take care of it for me! :keke:

SLEEPERracer
11-14-2006, 03:51 AM
damn thats dope! sounds really mean too!

Wykydtron
11-14-2006, 05:24 AM
How much of a budget are you working with for this swap? I'm curious because I have a friend that has a dad thats a v8 nut. My friend really wants my SR and I told him as long as he found me a decent LS1 we can negotiate some sort of deal. XD

Flat-Black
11-14-2006, 05:48 AM
hahah thanks quach .. yea remember when i was sick of the ka ..lol ..

swap took me approx 2moth for start to were it is now . started sep 1sth and finished it late october . mainly weekends tho ..

budget can range on whant you can make your self .. i make everything b/c of how expensive it would be to go threw hinson.

but expect the entire ls1 swap to put you back 6-8k thats what i would calculate for a nice clean swap.

g6civcx
11-14-2006, 06:54 AM
Nice job. Thanks for posting. Can you give us more detailed pix?

The crate motor alone is about $6k plus shipping if you want a new motor. The conversion parts from Hinson is pretty expensive if you can do the fab yourself. It looks like I'm going to have to go with Hinsonthough because I'm not good at fabbin' :)

punxva
11-14-2006, 07:45 AM
man thats one nice swap there bro

ms!3
11-14-2006, 08:18 AM
got any pics of the old ka setup? ls1 is bad ass but theres something about na ka's that i like, ive never seen a carbed double cam.

Wykydtron
11-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Nice job. Thanks for posting. Can you give us more detailed pix?

The crate motor alone is about $6k plus shipping if you want a new motor. The conversion parts from Hinson is pretty expensive if you can do the fab yourself. It looks like I'm going to have to go with Hinsonthough because I'm not good at fabbin' :)

I hear ya! I wouldn't trust my welds now, especially not having practice for 2 years! It would take some time to relearn but I wouldn't trust the strength of the welds to the torque of a v8. :x:

It definately would be nice to pick up a crate motor, but then again maybe someone could track down a used one. :naughty:

gunluvS14
11-14-2006, 11:55 AM
cong. on the swap.. but a little off topic

i know I'm asking some a$$ backward question, but you are the first person that I've ever saw that has carbs. on a dual cam KA engine.

how did you do that? what intake manifold and carbs did you use? and how was the power delievery?

brainfood
11-14-2006, 12:20 PM
got any pics of the old ka setup? ls1 is bass ass but theres something about na ka's that i like, ive never seen a carbed double cam.

hah I'm with you the ls1 is cool, but I want more info on that ka setup. Are those weber's? dcoe 44's? if not what size are they? How much power did it make? cams and header? :)

twistex
11-14-2006, 01:37 PM
sick!!!!!!!!!!!

RoyalFlush
11-14-2006, 01:43 PM
what are you doing with the KA you pulled

MURPHY
11-14-2006, 02:03 PM
wait on the ka koyo what upper/rad hose you using?

Flat-Black
11-14-2006, 04:54 PM
ka is pulled and sold .. anyone who does a ka carbed in a 240sx will be disppointed .. keep it efi and do itbs ..

upper rad hose is somthing i got a autozone and made it fit .. just a plain
90 to 90 hose .. simple .

ms!3
11-14-2006, 06:40 PM
sooooooooooo.......got any pics of the ka. i could use more on my picture folder. lol i just like em even tho there slow with all the money you put into them.

Flat-Black
11-14-2006, 08:33 PM
dyno chart and dyno runs posted ... 324WHP AND 333TQ

300+TQ STARTING FROM 2.5K TO REDLINE .. SWEEETTTTTT

MURPHY
11-14-2006, 08:44 PM
do you know the parts number for the radiator hoses you bought? its seems like alot better idea and cheaper since i have a Taurus fan already. thanks

i love hoe the ls1 looks no normal in there. any fitment issues at all? wow nice dyno too

FrickU
11-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Congratulations on the motor swap. Hope you are happy.

Flat-Black
11-14-2006, 08:50 PM
do you know the parts number for the radiator hoses you bought? its seems like alot better idea and cheaper since i have a Taurus fan already. thanks

i love hoe the ls1 looks no normal in there. any fitment issues at all? wow nice dyno too

i was trying to keep as many part numbers as i could but i just couldt keep track of everything .. hella shit i had to order .. sorry ..

you have to bang the tranny tunnle no way around that .. unless you whant your motor hella high and foward ..

also that taurus fan whont work .. belive me ive tried .. dual altimas are a slim fit ..

MURPHY
11-14-2006, 09:00 PM
oh hm ok. thanks man i guess ill just get some altimas too then lol. got any pics of it all wired up etc? i wanna see how your standalone looks

Flat-Black
11-15-2006, 01:19 PM
no pics .. more later ..

MELLO*SOS
11-15-2006, 02:10 PM
congratulations. What a nice power curve I bet it burns em off nicely. Take it to a drift day and post some smokey videos

Flat-Black
11-15-2006, 05:56 PM
weight after the swap posted on first post .

cmcdougle
12-27-2006, 12:14 AM
can you post some pics of the mounts & crossmember? It's a nice swap. Looks nice. . .

OBEEWON
12-27-2006, 04:41 AM
Nice work, lets see some action shots! Do it.

HalveBlue
12-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Just wanted to say nice job. More pix, please.

whitey240
12-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Nice work... After the success of the LS1 in the pinks 240sx, I was thinking about throwing in a LS7 into a s14.

Not sure if I missed it, but what oil pan did you use?

drew935
12-27-2006, 11:46 AM
I know that a lot of us are wanting to know the part#'s and parts used to simplify this swap in the future.
So far your list in your first post is a good start. Now the LS1 part#'s for the pan, etc. will help. :hsdance:

ls180sx
12-27-2006, 11:55 AM
the oil pan is a gto oil pan, thats the only route to go

zeek
12-27-2006, 12:19 PM
more pics and specs on car

whitey240
12-27-2006, 03:45 PM
the oil pan is a gto oil pan, thats the only route to go

http://www.pittspeed.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=40185&g2_serialNumber=2

i wouldn't say its the only way to go... but its the only way to go using stock parts. We used hooker headers for an fbody too. So if you get creative there are plenty ways to do it! I would like to see more pics of your setup too.. Especially your frame rail modification and header modification to get around steering linkage!

datboibrad
12-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Nice work... After the success of the LS1 in the pinks 240sx, I was thinking about throwing in a LS7 into a s14.

Not sure if I missed it, but what oil pan did you use?
why worry about the oil pan. the ls7 drysump is flat lol.

datboibrad
12-27-2006, 08:22 PM
http://www.pittspeed.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=40185&g2_serialNumber=2

i wouldn't say its the only way to go... but its the only way to go using stock parts. We used hooker headers for an fbody too. So if you get creative there are plenty ways to do it! I would like to see more pics of your setup too.. Especially your frame rail modification and header modification to get around steering linkage!
regardless of what they think of it i truly view that oil pan design as garbage and well just plain overkill.

rossfashow
12-27-2006, 08:42 PM
that car gives me a boner

ls180sx
12-28-2006, 08:09 AM
regardless of what they think of it i truly view that oil pan design as garbage and well just plain overkill.

my thoughts exactly.

"I would like to see more pics of your setup too.. Especially your frame rail modification and header modification to get around steering linkage!"

haha what frame rail modification? It's not required at all, majority of work done to that car is overkill.......drag racing is gay

whitey240
12-28-2006, 08:24 AM
why worry about the oil pan. the ls7 drysump is flat lol.

I was curious as the oil pan on the LS1 that you used... thats all.

I think the design was good, but was it overkill yes. Its hard when you work within a tight budget and timeline to build a car. I think that pan design allowed it to hold an extra quart or two of oil.

my thoughts exactly.

haha what frame rail modification? It's not required at all, majority of work done to that car is overkill.......drag racing is gay

Ok so lets see some pics? I am simply trying to have a conversation and see how you did things. I am not saying there is a right or a wrong. And I am not coming on here to attempt to have a flame war on what is gay and what is not gay. The majority of that work to that car was done for a reason. If you would like to point out the overkill parts I will give you the reasons why it was done. sound fair?

cisco240
12-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Man that is sick. That is what I would want to do on my next 240. :bigok:

zeek
12-28-2006, 09:21 AM
More pics...

datboibrad
12-28-2006, 11:21 AM
I was curious as the oil pan on the LS1 that you used... thats all.

I think the design was good, but was it overkill yes. Its hard when you work within a tight budget and timeline to build a car. I think that pan design allowed it to hold an extra quart or two of oil.

Ok so lets see some pics? I am simply trying to have a conversation and see how you did things. I am not saying there is a right or a wrong. And I am not coming on here to attempt to have a flame war on what is gay and what is not gay. The majority of that work to that car was done for a reason. If you would like to point out the overkill parts I will give you the reasons why it was done. sound fair?adding more quarts to the oil pan is very retarded for that setup. its not doing 5ft wheelies and its not pulling 2g drifts so there is no oil starvation. the gto pan if you ever take the time to look at how its baffled is just plain awesome. theres nothing wrong with running a custom oil pan, but for what they where doing it was pointless and a waste of time. not to mention you can pick up a gto oil pan for like 100 bux. hell i traded mine for my f body oil pan.

as far as frame rails the motor itself sits about a good 6-8 inches from the frame rails on either side. this motor is very small for what it is so no frame rail mods are needed what so ever.

whitey240
01-02-2007, 08:17 AM
adding more quarts to the oil pan is very retarded for that setup. its not doing 5ft wheelies and its not pulling 2g drifts so there is no oil starvation. the gto pan if you ever take the time to look at how its baffled is just plain awesome. theres nothing wrong with running a custom oil pan, but for what they where doing it was pointless and a waste of time. not to mention you can pick up a gto oil pan for like 100 bux. hell i traded mine for my f body oil pan.

as far as frame rails the motor itself sits about a good 6-8 inches from the frame rails on either side. this motor is very small for what it is so no frame rail mods are needed what so ever.

we were not really sure if it was going to pull the front wheels or not. I guess the pan was overkill but it worked. I have never looked at a GTO oil pan at all, my area is more with imports then domestic stuff. When we were doing the project we could not locate a pan for 100 bucks or we would have done just that.

datboibrad
01-04-2007, 12:21 PM
well yea in that aspect i see why yall went that route. check out the gto pan if you ever go do a personal street car ;)