spyderplayer2002
11-10-2006, 06:56 PM
is there a differance between the sr20det heads and the ser sr20de

spyderplayer2002
11-11-2006, 05:33 PM
need help badly

twofourzerosx
11-11-2006, 05:44 PM
big difference is..... distributor is in the rear of the SER head. not sure what else

Rittmeister
11-11-2006, 05:52 PM
1. Distributor different. On the RWD head it's on the side, driven by a gear setup on the exhaust cam; on the FWD it's on the back of the head, driven by a T-shaped thing that fits into a slot on the exhaust cam. Matter of fact, on a RWD DET, there is no distributor, but a cam angle sensor.
2. Intake manifold/throttle body are reversed between the RWD and FWD
3. RWD has no provision for emissions (EGR) stuff. FWD, at least US market, has EGR.

Those are the major differences between the heads. Other stuff on the engines - the tranny bellhousing mount points are different, so you can't swap them. Clutch and flywheel are different - RWD is quite a bit larger. The accessory arrangement is different. The motor mounts are different. Engine management is different also - the RWD DET runs a coil-on-plug setup, whereas the FWD DE uses a traditional single coil and distributor setup.

Gost
11-11-2006, 06:03 PM
1. Distributor different. On the RWD head it's on the side, driven by a gear setup on the exhaust cam; on the FWD it's on the back of the head, driven by a T-shaped thing that fits into a slot on the exhaust cam. Matter of fact, on a RWD DET, there is no distributor, but a cam angle sensor.
2. Intake manifold/throttle body are reversed between the RWD and FWD
3. RWD has no provision for emissions (EGR) stuff. FWD, at least US market, has EGR.

Those are the major differences between the heads. Other stuff on the engines - the tranny bellhousing mount points are different, so you can't swap them. Clutch and flywheel are different - RWD is quite a bit larger. The accessory arrangement is different. The motor mounts are different. Engine management is different also - the RWD DET runs a coil-on-plug setup, whereas the FWD DE uses a traditional single coil and distributor setup.

I was going to get a 200sx and put that motor in my 240, but thanks. Now i know that it wont work the way i was hopeing.

fliprayzin240sx
11-12-2006, 02:12 AM
fwd SR cant be converted to rwd. If hes talking bout fwd det, i think itll work since its the same setup/engine and fwd.

Rittmeister
11-12-2006, 08:14 AM
fwd SR cant be converted to rwd. If hes talking bout fwd det, i think itll work since its the same setup/engine and fwd.

Sorry but nope. A FWD (really AWD) DET is set up the same as a FWD DE. Guys have been swapping them into the Sentras and G20s for years, they were doing that long before it became popular to swap a DET into an S-chassis.

Anyway, the USDM FWD tranny bolts right up to a Bluebird, Avenir, or GTi-R engine, which means the RWD DET tranny won't. The manifolds, dist, etc above are in the same places as a FWD DE also.

McRussellPants
11-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Its possible to put the FWD head on the RWD blocks.

Gost
11-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Its possible to put the FWD head on the RWD blocks.

what would that do?

mrmephistopheles
11-12-2006, 10:39 PM
NeoVVL was only ever offered in FWD SRs, and it's a neat power-adder (similar to VTEC).
There's also the quad-throttle body setup from the GTi-R SR, but that can be adapted seperately to the RWD SR.