PDA

View Full Version : turbo not boosting HELP

Gorilla PimP
11-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Hey guys i seem to be having a big prob lately with my car. just recient the turbo is making no boost, and being that i am running open DP you can hear it whiseling but now i am not hearing that. I have a GT2871R so as you know its ball bearing and you can hear that thing spooling for miles away. but not i can bearly hear it. Then some times you can hear it spooling again then i hear a clunk like somehting is getting stuck then unstuck. so what the hell could ths be ? please if anyone can help me please help. Is my turbo blowen or something. wtf

LB.Motoring
11-07-2006, 12:10 PM
see if theres massive amount of play in the turbo?

burgy240
11-07-2006, 01:48 PM
I had a similar problem but not exactly the same, Mine turned out to be the gasket between the manifold and the turbo. I have no boost until late and it sounds horrible. check to make sure you don't have an exhaust leaks anywhere?

GSXRJJordan
11-07-2006, 02:06 PM
yup exhaust leak probably. If it's a boost leak you'd notice a loss in power once you stepped on it, to go along with "less" spool.

Check for exhaust leaks, and then take the intake off and try moving the shaft in and out, as well as around... if it moves more than a couple millimeters, you might be looking at blowby through the seals.

blownoffvalve
11-08-2006, 01:29 AM
can't the gaskets be replaced?

Gorilla PimP
11-09-2006, 10:32 AM
ahhh well i am getting some crazy shaft play.

fliprayzin240sx
11-09-2006, 11:22 AM
I just went thru the same shiet before i sold my car. GT2871R. Turned out i had a boost leak while running 18 psi. Gauge was showing 18 psi but only god knows how much air the turbo was actually pushing. Best bet is have the whole center carrier swapped out for a new one. I had ATP turbo do mine for $600. Basically brand new turbo and only thing they reused are the housings.