PDA

View Full Version : quick belt-changing question - how do i get the tension off the middle belt?

dwadia
11-05-2006, 10:37 AM
I have an SR redtop. I got the outer belt off, and i know how to remove the inner one which spins the alternator (which is the one i need to replace), but i can't figure out how to take the tension off the middle one. I saw a bolt which looks like a tensioner, and it's in back of a pulley which i can't see any purpose for other than to add tension, but even after loosening it i can't make it budge.

Also, is it a wise idea to replace all the belts after removing them due to stretching, or should i just replace the one that really needs it?

Thanks for any help.

downshift_sideways
11-05-2006, 11:09 AM
I belive on the SR the outter belt tensioner is located underneath the ps pump.There should be 2 bolts. 1 bolt is the bolt that you loosen to either tighten or loosen the belt, and the other bolt is used to keep the belts firm in place.

The Inner belt, I belive is Located underneath the alternator. Same thing as above. There should be 2 bolts...

I just replaced my belt last week, The inner one was getting torn real bad. and when I took off the outer belt, I noticed cracks. So I changed that aswell. Its always best to change them both while your at it, It doesnt hurt to, and it saves time in the future if that belt were to ever go out.

dwadia
11-05-2006, 07:46 PM
I just want to make sure i understand correctly: the one you're calling the "outer" belt is actually not the outerMOST of all 3 belts, but the middle one, right? Is the power steering pump the thing with the large pulley all the way on the bottom? Is the water pump on the driver's side, and pretty high, spun by a smaller pulley (i.e. the belt i removed already?) Thanks...

Slidin240Wayz
11-05-2006, 07:54 PM
To get the inner belt off get a pair of scissors and cut it off.
Carlos