PDA

View Full Version : 116,000 miles - service needed soon?

94cc0rd
11-04-2006, 06:59 PM
hey guys i have a 98 s14 se model with about 116,500 miles and the service engine soon light just came on. i'm wondering what this could be. Is there a normal scheduled service for like 110k miles that should have been done or could it be something else?

I got an oil change at 115k and have been changing it every 3k since i got the car at 98k miles...

S14DB
11-04-2006, 07:20 PM
No, That is your ECU telling you something is wrong. Buy/borrow an OBDII scanner. Most auto stores will scan for you when they are not busy(cause they assume you will buy the parts to repair there).

Post up what codes you pull and we can help from there.

2nd, the 120k service is a big one.
Full timing chain service. http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=240SX-TBKITC2
Air filter
Fuel filter
Coolant Flush
Tune up(spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap)
Transmission and differential oil
Inspect everything.

s14SE
11-04-2006, 07:21 PM
just check the CEL code. I don't know it off the top of my head but search for "reset ecu" and there are instructions to pull the error codes without a scan tool.

94cc0rd
11-05-2006, 04:34 AM
so i was randomly looking under my front wheel wells and found that a brake line (i think) was unhooked or something and was just dangling/rubbing on my front right wheel... would this cause the CEL?

i'm gonna ziptie it back up so it doesn't rub on the tire tomorrow morning..

silverarrow27
11-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Highly doubt it...something is wrong with a sensor or two. If it had anything to do with your brake system most likely if you have ABS, the ABS light will light up.

S14DB
11-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I guess what I said was to complex. Let me list an easier plan of action.

1) Go to Nissan Dealership
2) Talk to a Service Advisor
3) Tell him that your check engine light is on and your 120K service is coming up
4) He will have a technician use a Consult to scan you car for problems.
5) He will then tell you what is wrong with the car and what steps are needed to fix it. Also, he will ask when you want to schedule your 120k mile service.

I'm sorry my do it yourself advice was to complex.

94cc0rd
11-05-2006, 02:43 PM
how much does a 120k service cost normally? are these services normally taken care of by a dealership? I have a mechanic that I normally go to for regular repair/maintenance work... I can take it to him right?

redsuns3838
11-05-2006, 04:23 PM
why dont you just call the dealership and ask them? i doubt many members actually go in for our 120K tuneup. its a tuneup, nothing hard about it, you can take it to anyone competent that you want.

mmdb
11-05-2006, 05:11 PM
hey guys i have a 98 s14 se model with about 116,500 miles and the service engine soon light just came on. i'm wondering what this could be. Is there a normal scheduled service for like 110k miles that should have been done or could it be something else?

I got an oil change at 115k and have been changing it every 3k since i got the car at 98k miles...

Check engine light != Service engine light

Is that's the case it comes on after some odd miles. Mine's been on for a while. oh well.

alkemyst
11-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Don't let them replace your timing chain until it's noisy! There will probably be more problems after that for such an invasive job at a dealership.

The rest are smart esp if you haven't been following fluid changes other than engine oil.

Å

alkemyst
11-05-2006, 05:32 PM
so i was randomly looking under my front wheel wells and found that a brake line (i think) was unhooked or something and was just dangling/rubbing on my front right wheel... would this cause the CEL?

i'm gonna ziptie it back up so it doesn't rub on the tire tomorrow morning..

When I saw brake line I was like WTF...but with ABS yeah, that coming off could be enough to possible set a code.

I bought www.obdscan.net software and a Palm IIIxe for under $200...I have since upgraded my Palm to a Visor for only about $10 net after selling the Palm IIIxe.

I have read codes and reset them probably 20 times. No one does free ODBII resets here...it's usually $25-50 a pop.

Most recently my wife's 00' Saturn SL2 popped a code for a loose gas cap...reset in 2 seconds. :)

Everyone should have a OBDII computer if dealing with them seriously. I do almost all my own work (save oil changes nowadays with them being so cheap at the dealer and them putting the car on a lift so I can inspect it ;))and without it I would be replacing things randomly.

Å

1985zcar
11-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Really? The Shuck's here in WA have OBDII readers and they'll let you read/print out your codes and clear them for free =)

alkemyst
11-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Really? The Shuck's here in WA have OBDII readers and they'll let you read/print out your codes and clear them for free =)

Doesn't happen here in Palm Beach County.

94cc0rd
11-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Ok so is the CEL not the same as the "Service Engine Soon" light? I was under the impressionm that they were the same thing.

I will go get the code checked out tomorrow and i'll post it up on here for more info...

Also, do you guys all agree that it's fine not to change the timing chain until it gets noisy?

alkemyst
11-05-2006, 09:48 PM
search changing timing chain on google. Almost all makes with a chain will say wait until you hear it.

It's a major procedure to let your mechanic do. If I do it, I am doing it myself and sticking by the book.

1Via!
11-05-2006, 11:43 PM
I'll service you. :|

Seriously, unless youre throwing codes, youre probably fine with just resetting the ecu and going on your merry way.

If you want a list of things that you could do yourself, here you go:
Seafoam the engine
Change the plugs
Change the o2 sensor
Do the tranny and diff fluid
flush/replace coolant
change coolant temperature sensor
be happy

If you have any questions about anything on the list, search. There is plenty of stuff floating around the web, and even this site, on all of them.

94cc0rd
11-06-2006, 12:19 PM
ok so I stopped by my mechanic today and got the codes read...

P0325 Knock Sensor #1
P0446 Evap Vent Solenoid Problem

He says the knock sensor (part) is about $180 and said he'd charge about $200-220 for the job. As for the Evap Vent Solenoid Problem, He said he'd need to look under the car and find the leak so I couldn't get a quote on that.

Are these codes serious issues? He said that I could drive it without a problem though.

Just for some background.. Last year, about a month or two after I got the car, it threw 2 knock sensor codes and a o2 sensor code... My friend cleared the codes and it's been fine since.

orion::S14
11-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Evap vent solenoid will come on if your gas cap isn't tight...seriously.

Forget about that one...and it could be removed from the car and cause NO issue other than a CEL (or in your case, SES...they are one in the same).

For the Knock sensor...they are known to go bad, but it's rare on S14's with less than 150,000 miles.

Did he reset the codes, or is the light still on?

If he did...then forget about it until the light comes back...if it does at all. LOTS of things can cause a SES light, with no real problem.

If he did not reset it...do this first:

http://www.ka24development.com/ecu_codes.html

Then report back here after a short drive.

- Brian

redsuns3838
11-07-2006, 01:35 AM
umm i dunno but i got my SR knock sensor for 45 bucks used. but it turns out it was just unplugged so i have a extra one sitting in my garage. i doubt itll fit KA though...

you should probly replace the knock sensor especially if you like to push the car. you should check around on prices cuz 180 seems bit high to me.

CKAMC
11-07-2006, 03:11 AM
:keke: full retail on knock sensors are ridiculous... :keke:wholesale is like $90 and list (MSRP) is $115

Ka and Sr knock sensors are the same... it been the same for quite a while now until these newer cars decided to change over but anyways yeah most 90's nissan's have the same part number for the same dam knock sensor.

alkemyst
11-07-2006, 05:47 PM
what's the job like on a KA24DE?