PDA

View Full Version : experienced turbo help requested

samplesurf
11-02-2006, 03:22 PM
so heres the deal recently saved up enough cash to buy an upgraded turbo kit for my sr but need some help in deciding which is the best option so please only post if u have had any first hand experience with any of them or what u have seen as far as dyno charts and such, also i already have nismo injectors, z32 maf and enthalpy tune so i am ready to rock, also im looking to make around 400whp with the best response possible as i mostly use it on the street and a few drift events

option number 1: topmount kit from hybriddynamics

http://shop.hybridynamics.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=233&HS=1

option 2: the turbonetics kit for the sr, seems like a pretty good deal considering it comes with everything, even intercooler and bov

http://phase2motorsports.stores.yahoo.net/tus13srtukit.html

option 3: blitz triple k turbo kit

http://phase2motorsports.stores.yahoo.net/blk3srtukit.html

blu808
11-02-2006, 04:18 PM
I would recomend you spend your money on a ems system such as a haltech, electromotive, apexi pfc, or aem.

Then convert your system over to map sensor so you can get rid of your maf, then I would throw on a apexi stock bore head gasket, with arp studs.

As for the turbos, those are actually some big mofos. I would reccomend the blitz kit because of the ease of installation, completeness, and the amount of engineering they put into their products compaired to the other 2 kits.

Aside from that i think you would be happy with the turbonetics kit, but that turbine is still a litte big to my liking.

I would consider going with somthing a little smaller and making up the power with tuning personally.

Check out a HKS gt2871, gt30r, etc.

Shit even a Greddy TD05 kit would do the job, and makes installation a breeze.

Also i would steer clear of stainless manifolds if you drive the car hard. They will all eventually crack.

Hope that helps a bit.

samplesurf
11-02-2006, 04:25 PM
thanks for the help and i was looking into the 2871r as i currently have a t28 and it has similar spool characteristics, i also have a stainless manifold and havent had any problems yet and most of the good ones now have a lifetime warranty, u any familiar with the blitz kit? any idea on how it spools?

!Zar!
11-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Have you tried turning up the boost yet?

Do you have any idea how much power you are putting down right now?

Because I so no reason why you need a 400hp sr for dd. Unless you want to brag how much power you have. Or maby you want to brag about blowing a hg? Who knows.

Wanting a turbo that's responsive and capable of high output is on two opposite ends of the spectrum.

Either way you go, pick up taka oil lines. Then get your car propperly tuned.

samplesurf
11-02-2006, 05:40 PM
this car is NOT my daily driver only driven weekends or a few days of the week, as of power i dynoed 270rwhp at 14psi on my t28 several months ago with stock injectors and ecu as with my new rom tune, injectors and maf and running 17psi i should be over the 300hp mark but am wanting a little more, at least over 350

p.s. my motor is not stock pretty much everything has been upgraded except internals or headwork, and i already have taka lines

samplesurf
11-03-2006, 10:07 PM
anyone have any input

CarloSR
11-04-2006, 06:10 AM
GT2871R :bigok:
GT3071R will put you in the 400whp, but lag comes from time to time and need a new mani, downpipe and ex WG.

GSXRJJordan
11-05-2006, 01:54 AM
I agree with CarloSR, but Zar has a good point... when you've only got 2.0L to work with, big hp #s and great spool are damn hard to get. The GT2871R w/the .86 ex housing will hit your 400whp number, and spool somewhere around 4k - 4200, but in my experience the power falls off towards redline, hence why people go with the GT3071. These are truely the best turbos that I know of for the SR, but I know a SCCA racer that swears by his $2k HKS GT-RS.

I would also mention that your bottom end will not enjoy 400whp for very long in stock form, and recommend you either go nuts and build the motor all at once, or enjoy what your GT28 has to offer and be happy with 300whp. I've driven a F-D 400whp S14, and the extra power over a 300whp S13 is truely overkill for drifting. I know you didnt ask for overall advice, but it has to be said ~