PDA

View Full Version : Radiator cracked.

CoasTek240
11-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Ok Just so you have a little background to my mess of a 240sx. Its a 92 Coupe. I recently had a buddy of mine install a 97 Ka that had the bottom end freshened up and rebuilt to stock spec. He did a couple things half ass. He pluged up my EGR valve and other emissions (AIV, AICV) the thing is the car doesnt idle right now. Ive heard its bc the AICV needs to be hooked back up. On top all that, the car has been running decent lately, but this week my radiator cracked. it caused the car to make this crazy clicking noise on acceleration and deceleration. The noise was comparable to somthing hitting my fan (but it wasnt).
It caused my car to loose power and stall while driving. Why is this happening. I dont see how a radiator could make this happen. Now my car will start fine but it will not hold an idle anymore. Is it bc its colder here in VA now? I need to do something.

Jung918
11-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Well if your radiator cracked, then that probally means that it is leaking. If it is, then your engine is not getting cooled. If you car isn't getting cooled, then it overheating. Your looking at getting it rebuild again. The iacv controls your idle.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/kirinpoopy/OMG.jpg

aznpoopy
11-02-2006, 02:15 PM
who dares link from my photobucket? ;)

first things first

the iacv is barely in that picture. its actually on the back of the intake manifold, sandwiched between it and the firewall. but yeah, if you want your car to idle, hook it back up. its hard to get to. might have to take off your intake manifold depending on how small your hands are. all the info you need is in the FSM.

as for the radiator... get a new radiator. easy.

as for the clicking, pinpoint the noise. jack the front of the car up and start it up. find where the noise is coming from. if you think it might be coming from an accessory or from inside the engine, break out (or buy) a mechanics stethoscope and pinpoint it. let us know what you find.

CoasTek240
11-02-2006, 02:42 PM
ok well the car didnt run that long on no coolant? no more than 15 mins. or normal driving. My Temp meter didnt go above 50% either (of course it could be broken). But I checked the fluids before I parked the car for a 3 day weekend. When I got back I started the car and dropped a friend off, then less than 3 miles from my home the car started acting funny and sounding weird. It died on me twice. Both times I was able to get the car started and finished driving home. When I finally pulled in the driveway it died and would not start again that night (I only tried to start it one time after parking).
Today I started the car and it started fine, but would not keep an idle.
Ive already ordered a Koyo radiator and new samco hoses (b/c I saw a nick in my lower hose and they were dryrotted). I need to install that along with my iacv.The only thing is the tube carrying the harness and the hose from the intake to the back of the intake manifold where the iacv is located has been removed. I need to reinstall it but it sits in between the "plenums"<-? of the intake manifold. I dont know if I cant get to it without removing the manifold.
I might have to take a picture of this. I may not be describing this well.

I'm not driving...this makes me sad. Please help me fix.

CoasTek240
11-02-2006, 02:46 PM
oops you posted that as i was typing mine.
Thank you for your help. I actually just bought an OEM 1992 nissan 240sx FSM on ebay. I will consult that right away.
Also the Radiator problem is already taken care of.
So really the problem now is this noise that I wont be able to hear until the drive the car again. Thank you for all your help./