PDA

View Full Version : 96: 240sx Idling and Speedometer Problem

GSTracer05
10-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Need some serious help here.

Here is what I have on the car. Injen Intake, KNN Filter, and Apexi N1 exhaust.

Now when I slow down to come to a stop, the RPM drops to around 500 and lower and sometimes the car just dies. Happens very often, especially when the car is warmed up. The speedometer does not work, and now I just noticed that my fuel guage does not work either.

So I took the car to the dealer and they said that the Speed Sensor is shorted and sending a faulty signal to the speedometer and that is why its not working. They wanted approx $800 to replace both.

So I go home and do a little research...buy a new speed sensor for $120 and replace it myself. Not hard to do. One 10mm bolt and the thing comes out easy. Located at the rear end of the tranny on the passanger side. THe check engine light comes on with a speed sensor malfunction. I clear it with the OBD2 tool but i still have the dying out problem. I did not replace the speedometer.

Has anyone ever experienced this or know of a solution? Should I take it to the dealer and shell out $800?

IngS14
10-28-2006, 09:57 AM
it might be your brake booster to intake manifold's pcv filter needs to be replaced.it can locate it right behiend the valve cover above between the firewall.if you still have problem just IM me at sards14 i'll try to help what i know.
peace
randy