PDA

View Full Version : S13 Redtop SR20DET Timing Issue?

nissanguy13
10-28-2006, 03:03 AM
I finally have my s13 sr20det redtop running descent. I've been driving it on a daily basis for over a week now.
But............................................... ..................................................
1. Its still getting poor gas mileage (40 or so miles to a 1/4 tank, -200 miles a tank.)

2.When I change gears, or rev at really high rpms I have a slight backfire. It isnt loud like a shotgun, but its annoyingly noticable.

3. My engine will rev at 800 rpms at an idle sometimes, other times it will idle anywhere between 800 and 1500 rpms. For example when I start my car up it will be runnimng at 800 rpms, but when I get to a stop light it will be idling at 1200rpms. Or Ill shut the car off, start it up a couple minutes later and it will idle at 1100 rpms or so.

4. Sometimes when I'm slowing down, coming to a stop, or put my car in neutral when I'm driving, it will drop to 0 rpms and shut off. Every once in a while the rpms will fluctuate up and down a couple hundred rpms at an idle.

5. When Im driving it sounds and feels fine for the most part, for some reason in every gear from 0 to 4000 rpms the engine feels like its choking or holding back a little, then after that it takes off and goes. It still drives pretty good inbetween 0 and 4000 rpms, but just feels like the turbo is just spooling but not doing anything else, is that normal?

Im at a loss, I'm not sure what could be causing these problems. I didnt get the enginge professionally installed, I did it all myself, or with the help of friends.

I've checked my vaccum lines, I have brand new NGK Irridium pregapped spark plugs, that are for sr's. (pregapped at .26 I believe.) I have a new Z32 fuel filter. I set the timing to 15 degrees, adjusted the tps until my car ran at 800rpms at an idle. But right after I set the timing the rpms started to raise again, I pulled off the valve cover and checked the timing chain. It was not loose and the guides still look good, (at least the top ones). I even did a compression test the other day, all 4 cylinders were at 130.

If anybody has had any of these problems, or know what could be causing them, youre help would be grealy appreciated

ViZion Zs
10-28-2006, 07:15 AM
FSM and check your MAF impiedence make sure thats good. make sure your CAS isnt off a tooth.. what does your timing read at when you hit it with a light? replace your O2 sensor but check to make sure the connection is good ive done a couple of swaps where the brown power wire is severed or damaged so check that out or just make sure you hooked it up period on your power plug. and make sure you have no boost leaks..

hope that helps

nissanguy13
10-28-2006, 06:47 PM
speaking of O2 sensors. the stock one didnt fit in the hole for the megan racing elbow. So i bought the one for the 95 300zx TT, it fit perfect. In the sr forum it said to use that one for the black top, is it that big of a difference? If it is, does anyone know what I can use to make the stock one fit in the megan racing elbow?

silverarrow27
10-28-2006, 06:59 PM
You should raise your spark plug gap up to .030-.035 whichever that runs best for you on stock boost. Also, you didn't mention whether you're running the stock bypass valve or not and recirculating or not back into the intake? Other than that just make sure your timing is set to 15 btdc and replace your fuel filter if you haven't yet...makes a big difference if it's old and clogged.

nissanguy13
10-29-2006, 01:44 AM
You should raise your spark plug gap up to .030-.035 whichever that runs best for you on stock boost. Also, you didn't mention whether you're running the stock bypass valve or not and recirculating or not back into the intake? Other than that just make sure your timing is set to 15 btdc and replace your fuel filter if you haven't yet...makes a big difference if it's old and clogged.

Stock bypass valve? That doesnt ring a bell, what is that. I have an atmospherical bov. my boost controller runs to the actuator and to the hot i/c piping (I dont boost past stock, its set at .55). my intake runs to the T then runs to my stock catch can. I have a new fuel filter. I guess I should go buy new spark plugs. The first ones I had were gapped at .28 or .30 but I recently changed them due to buying a bad ecu and I had so much fuel being dumped into my engine that my exhaust was just a huge cloud of black smoke.