PDA

View Full Version : help: 2 piece wheel separation

logicTR
10-19-2006, 11:57 AM
I have a set of 2 piece Watanabe RS8's. I'm trying to separate the pieces so that I could paint the spokes and refinish the polished lip. I've taken all the bolts out but it will not budge. I've also tried using penetrating solvent and hitting it with a rubber mallet. Still nothing. The tires is still on the wheels but I have let all the air out. If anyone knows any tricks or tips to help me separate the two, it would be greatly appreciated.

Phlip
10-19-2006, 12:44 PM
I have a set of 2 piece Watanabe RS8's. I'm trying to separate the pieces so that I could paint the spokes and refinish the polished lip. I've taken all the bolts out but it will not budge. I've also tried using penetrating solvent and hitting it with a rubber mallet. Still nothing. The tires is still on the wheels but I have let all the air out. If anyone knows any tricks or tips to help me separate the two, it would be greatly appreciated.
Pictures?
... My next suggestion would be heat and a soft rubber mallet

the head
10-19-2006, 01:25 PM
First get the tires off of the rims because it could be a fire hazard since you need to heat the rim to make it expand so the face will come out next set the rim on something that will keep the lip form getting marred (boards work well but be very careful with the torch) Now heat the rim around the face of the wheel while using a soft face mallet (wood works best because you can get right to the edge by the heat and it wont melt like rubber) begin the process of knocking it out...or you can take it to a wheel shop but I am not sure how much they charge for that.

Phlip
10-19-2006, 01:32 PM
^^^ I was thinking heat gun, since my own has a "turn a quarter red" setting

the head
10-19-2006, 01:40 PM
My heat gun doesn't work that well so I perfer torches

I dont know how well the heat penetraiton on the heat gun would be but I don't see why it wouldn't work in your case

logicTR
10-19-2006, 05:22 PM
ok i'll give it a try. thanks for the help guys.