PDA

View Full Version : 89-90 240SX SR Swap

KiDyNomiTe
07-06-2002, 08:27 PM
IIRC Someone said that it is harder to swap in the SR into a 89-90 240. I think it had to do with the guages or something. Well I a m starting to plan my SR swap, which won't happen for about a year, and I need to know if its worth spending some extra money on a 91-94 S13 to avoid complications that the 89-90 would have.

whateverjames
07-06-2002, 09:56 PM
you need a newer tach/speedometer and powersteering lines. something about the A/C too. maybe it's a compressor, not sure. but it would be easier finding these parts, rather than finding a 5 speed in good shape and the options you want (and sales tax). even though it's an SR swap, finding a 5sp would mean less complications.

AKADriver
07-07-2002, 07:02 PM
If you buy a whole SR clip, there's really not much reason to buy a manual trans chassis...  the only parts you'll need to finish the auto->manual swap are the hard line from the master cylinder to the "piping connector" and the "piping connector" itself (which are specific to LHD).

As for the '89-'90 chassis, you need the power steering lines and reservoir from a DOHC 240SX (again, a clip would have the right reservoir and a some of the lines, but a couple of the lines are LHD-specific).  You also need a tach from an SR or DOHC.

Cheng
07-07-2002, 08:11 PM
yup i just recently got an sr swap im my 89 90 240sx there were a few problem my mach encounter.  The tech for sure it doesn't work so you can buy an aftermarket one or just find a dohc cluster.  Thats what i did.  I don't think there is an need for power steering because you will be able to feel the road better if you really want the power steering be sure you get it the time of your swap don't do it later on.  I heard to if you take out the ac and ps you will be able to get more hp out of your engine because of the drag on the belts.

Sick240
07-08-2002, 10:47 AM
Alright, well I will be ordering my engine in about a month, so What do I need to do to get the AC and PS to work? Also, what type or engine/tranny mounts do you guys suggest? Thanks

AKADriver
07-08-2002, 11:04 AM
<a href="http://www.heavythrottle.com/" target='_blank'>http://www.heavythrottle.com/</a>'s SR20DET FAQ has the answers you seek.

The KA and SR use the same engine mounts.

Sick240
07-09-2002, 09:43 AM
Yes they do use the same ones, but mine are basically shot, so should I just buy OEM? or is there a good brand I should look into? Thanks