PDA

View Full Version : Fuse/Cluster/Tail light Problem again

beta2w
10-12-2006, 11:01 PM
First off, my car is a 89 s13 hatch with an sr (which I think was home swapped). I searched through the forums and found that many other people have the same problem, but I believe mine is a little different. I have that problem where my tail light fuse would blow repeatedly. The last owner had a 20a fuse instead of a 15a and I think it might have been because of the VDO gauges he installed. I'm very new to electrical work so I'm just assuming that. I checked all (I think of the grounds and all (I think) the wiring for the trunk area and the wiring to the side markers (front and back) and couldn't come up with anything. The one thing I couldn't find in the forums is that the fuse doesn't blow until I start to accelerate the slightest bit in first gear :confused: . It doesn't blow when I reverse or anything else I've tried. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Pacman
10-14-2006, 01:15 AM
Lets see if my schooling has done anything for me... but the 20 hour day makes it a little foggy. Looking at the wiring diagram for the brake circuit, what I come up with is that its a short to ground before the load (load=lights) thats causing a high amperage reading. Voltage stays the same, resistance (load) goes down (skipped load), current (amps) goes up. If the current goes up beyond the 15amp fuse rating, it'll blow, saving the circuit. What I'd do is take the wiring diagram and test starting at the fuse for continuity in the wires between the connectors. Or, just follow wires and if you see a wire exposed (no plastic insulation), theres your short. If I totally lost you, take it to someone that knows continuity and that can read diagrams.

Hell, it could be something like the combo switch for your headlights or something funky in your cluster.

driftenthusiast
10-14-2006, 05:00 AM
Is it that same fuse for the cluster lights and the tail lights? You should so what pacman said and check for continunity in the circuit. Or if you not comforable with that put a good fuse in, turn on the lights, and go the the wires you can get to and move different sections and see if you can get it to blow, that will help narrow it down. and you should put the 15amp fuse back in not the 20.