PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster problems and BUZZING

Gilboyto
09-29-2006, 04:59 PM
So the other day (I think Tuesday), I was driving on the freeway when someone decided to hit their brakes really hard and I had to as well. I didnt hit them, but ever since then my dash has been messed up!

Whenever I completely start the car and the engine is running, I will let off my e-brake and my Antilock, Brake, and battery light blink on and off abnormally, and there is a loud buzzing sound coming from under my dash.

I took the dash apart, took out the instrument cluster, but I seemed to have pinpointed it near the left kickplate that is buzzing. Its not a vibrating because I checked everything I could. And I cant hear it in the engine bay. I dont exactly know, but it seems to be coming from the box in the picture.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l162/Gilboyto/DSC05173a.jpg

If anyone knows what it could be or what I could check, please let me know. I have checked all the instrument cluster connections and they were fine.

I also dont know if it makes a difference, but before this buzzing noise my battery was fine and only about 4 months old. About two or three days after this buzzing, my battery died on me, and I had to get a new one.

Thanks in advance for the help.

PS- Oh yeah incase you need to know its an 89 S13...

Gilboyto
09-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Bump. Anybody?

mrmephistopheles
09-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Go replace your alternator. It's charging, but jsut enough to trip the battery light.

Just do it, and it'll be fixed.

Gilboyto
09-30-2006, 11:13 AM
My battery went dead the first time about a month after I bought the car and I replaced the alternator with a brand new one...its only about 5 months old. Do you think thats why my brake and Antilock lights stick on as well?
Cause there is still that buzzing/clicking noise from that huge socket in the picture.

mrmephistopheles
09-30-2006, 01:05 PM
your 'new' alternator is shit.

Please trust me on this. I had the SAME symptoms, ripped apart my dash, found the buzzing relay (which is actually a blue guy on the back of that socket), tested the relay, and then after putting it all back together, changed my alt.
I wish I'd just changed the alt first (20 minutes) instead of doing all that other BS (3-4 hours).

Anyhow, MY lesson learned.

Now you can benefit from the knowledge I gained.

ALTERNATOR.

Just for grins though, go check all your connections in engine bay, especially your grounds.

Gilboyto
09-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the help :). I will have to change the alternator out (guess I gotta go get it replaced), and I will let ya know if that fixes it.

Thanks! I guess that can explain why the battery I bought two days ago wont hold any charge to my amp when I turn up the speakers (it just turns off and on my stereo).

ceniack
09-30-2006, 10:49 PM
WAIT!!! before you check your alternator, make sure it isn't the "brake light check relay" i think it is what it is called in the FSM. it is under the dash and a pain to get too, but i removed it and solved my buzzing and my cluster gremlin's.

it is a really small relay, but it is up under the dash near or behind (i can't remember) that white box, i am about 99.9% sure that is your problem

-terry

*edit*

nm, just read the guy above you.

but, before you buy a new alternator, drive to autozone or your local parts store that can do an alternator check on the car and see what they say.

Gilboyto
10-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Oh ok cool. If I take it to an Autozone or something do they just check the voltage that is returning or leaving the alternator to see if its charging the battery correctly?
I think my only problem is I bought the alternator thru a friend which was an Audi technician when I lived up in WA about 3 months ago. Hopefully I can just take it to a Bosch certified place down here and they will replace it if thats whats bad.

g6civcx
10-01-2006, 02:53 PM
The white box you circled is the Super Multiple Junction (SMJ). It connects the body harness to the engine harness that runs under the front left fender.

Behind the SMJ is a plurality of blue/white relays according to the options you have.

I recommend taking the vehicle to a qualified technician and get your alternator checked. They will check for alternator output and see if it's within range.

Gilboyto
10-02-2006, 11:47 AM
So I took it into Autozone and he checked the battery. Apparently my alternator is not charging my battery at all. He said it could be because of the system I have in my car...Specifically just because I have an Infinity Kappa Perfect DVQ sub and a Kenwood 1900 watt amp supplying the power to it..Do you think this could be the reason? Even though my stereo has been completely off for the past two days.

I went to leave Autozone, the battery was completely shot. So he boosts it for me, and then I get to leaving and there is a four way stop right there. I pull out to turn left, and half way thru the intersection my car just DIES! lol.

So I had to push it down the street and wait for my brother to come and tow me home...

He said to look at getting a high output alternator, but if I just replace the alternator itself do you think that will fix the problem??

g6civcx
10-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Get a new alternator and see if it can support the sound system. Go add up peak power consumption of all the audio components and see if the alternator can keep up. If not you will need a high output unit.

If you don't want to upgrade to a high output alternator, remove the audio system. Just run a headunit and 4 speakers. Anything else and you may have the same issue.

Gilboyto
10-02-2006, 05:07 PM
If it does have to do with my system do you think that a capacitor would help with the situation?

HKSdrift3r
10-02-2006, 06:47 PM
try the frontier alternator. There is a write up for it on NICO.

ThatGuy
10-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Why have someone go search a different forum. Instead just provide the information here if you know what it is. I really dislike when people suggest members go elsewhere to get information. Post it here, and Zilvia grows.

g6civcx
10-02-2006, 09:00 PM
What do you think a capacitor is and how do you think it could help?

Gilboyto
10-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Isnt a capacitor a simple battery, in a sense? It holds a charge yes, but wouldnt that help a bit with pulling tons of current from my battery? Or would that not make a difference...

Gilboyto
10-06-2006, 03:52 PM
So I just bought an Iraggi high output alternator for my car. Hopefully it works and helps with the stereo that I have. Its stock location and everything, just outputs 180amps, so I hope this fixes the problem

sked707
10-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Hey, let us know what happened! My car started having similar
symptoms with the buzzing & battery light coming on too. It only
happened once this morning but with your info i can maybe also
pinpoint the problem. I've already checked connections in the
engine bay & i'm considering to buy a new battery too.
Thanks.