PDA

View Full Version : transmission drain plug

squalsme
09-29-2006, 02:08 PM
hey guys, quick question. i have a 1993 s13 hatchback. im trying to change my transission fluid, but the drain bolt is stripped. how do you guys get it out? i was thinking about drilling through it and getting some pliers to crush it.

also, i need a new drain bolt. you guys have any idea what size it is? thanks!

aznpoopy
09-29-2006, 02:54 PM
really? that's hard to strip. you put the ratchet/breaker bar directly into the plug. no socket requried.

if the inside is stripped...
-weld something to it and turn it out.
-get a metal file, sand two sides fairly flat, use channel locks or vice grip
-hammer something too big into the receiver and turn it out
-a craftsman bolt out might even work if you hammer it on there
etc

sidewayskeet
09-29-2006, 03:20 PM
really? that's hard to strip. you put the ratchet/breaker bar directly into the plug. no socket requried.

if the inside is stripped...
-weld something to it and turn it out.
-get a metal file, sand two sides fairly flat, use channel locks or vice grip
-hammer something too big into the receiver and turn it out
-a craftsman bolt out might even work if you hammer it on there
etc

what he said. The plug is not a certain size if you go to find a new one just ask for a tranny drain plug for the proper year and make of the car.

But I agree thats pretty hard to strip, is it the threads or the input hole on the bolt?

HalveBlue
09-29-2006, 03:50 PM
It might be hard to strip, but it's not impossible.

Actually, I don't think it's that hard to strip.

I've done it, as have other people on the board (in fact, there was a thread a couple of weeks about it).

Anyway, if you need to drain the tranny fluid right away and can't get the drain plug off try removing sleeve yoke in back. Usually a fair amount of fluid can be removed that way. The rest can be gotten out with a suction pump.

Good Luck.

gotta240
09-29-2006, 03:54 PM
THEY ARE NOT hard to strip in my opinion!

The last TWO s14 trannies i've had came with stripped bolts. I hate these shitty things. Last one cost me 60 bucks to have removed. BTW- That welding idea is great, but isn't it alluminum?

Jung918
09-29-2006, 04:33 PM
I stripped my diff drain bolt. I tried to drill a hole and tap it out but it didn't work for me. So I took it to a guy and he put a bolt in the hole, heated it up and he said it came right out.

s13coupedrfter
09-29-2006, 05:36 PM
I stripped my engine oil pan drain bolt once. I went to a muffler shop and had a socket welded to it for 20 bucks, came right off no problem! Try it on your tranny bolt. G/L

gotta240
09-29-2006, 06:17 PM
YOU CANT DO IT WITH A SOCKET ON THE TRANNY!!!

Can someone answer my Q? Is it alluminum or steel?

Jung918
09-29-2006, 06:28 PM
I don't think it is aluminum. Just put a magnet to it. If it sticks, it's not aluminum.

gotta240
09-29-2006, 06:54 PM
You asshole. You're going to make me get off my ass, go away from the computer and actually do something myself! GOSH!

lol. Yeah, i thought of that after i posted...lol.

On a side note.

I bought a craftsman easy out set and i have to drill through the plug to make it work(its like a reversed screw basically).

MY WORRIES- There is a magnet on the INSIDE ot the drain plug held on by one rivit thing. WHen i drill through the plug it will obviously drill out that rivit, which will losen the magnet. Since its a magnet it will stick to the first metal it touches and i think i may be screwed and unable to get it out...

OPINIONS??????

s13coupedrfter
09-29-2006, 11:56 PM
The drain plug is not aluminum, whether it's diff,engine or tranny. They are steel. If you can't weld a socket to the tranny drain bolt use a 2" long 1/2" drive extension (I'm pretty sure it's a 1/2" drive female plug). Get creative.

I don't recommend drilling it and then using an ez-out. THERE A PAIN IN THE ASS!!! Thats going to require a big expensive ez-out with drill bits and about 45-60 minutes of labor. If you use an ez-out thats too small your going to waste your time. Hope you have a slow speed drill because you will burn through alot of drill bits if you don't.

Seriously, just weld something to it and turn that bastard out. You will thank me later.

aznpoopy
09-30-2006, 12:04 AM
it is indeed 1/2" drive

squalsme
09-30-2006, 01:35 PM
welding something on does seem to be a much easier solution. im in no hurry to drain the fluid, just kinda annyoed it happened. but i just ordered a new drain plug from a dealership, it was $9 and should arrive within a few days.

Sir
10-01-2006, 08:37 PM
welding the extension is a lot easier than anything
Also so you don't do it next time get an extension and pop out that ball thats in there, usually thats the reason for stripping one (not that I know)

Inland180
10-10-2006, 01:12 AM
are the drain plugs for the the dohc ka 5spd trans and the sr20det 5spd trans the same?

e1_griego
02-16-2011, 10:01 PM
It's not just a 1/2" square.

This tool makes them not strip: 13mm Subaru & Nissan Drain Socket (http://ultimatetoolco.com/drainplugs.aspx)

You can prob find it cheaper somewhere, but that's the first link google brought me. I have one, works great, no probs since acquisition.

Jonnie Fraz
02-17-2011, 09:00 AM
It's not just a 1/2" square.

This tool makes them not strip: 13mm Subaru & Nissan Drain Socket (http://ultimatetoolco.com/drainplugs.aspx)

You can prob find it cheaper somewhere, but that's the first link google brought me. I have one, works great, no probs since acquisition.

Quoted for truth.
Also one of the problems is people torque these to a million foot pounds when they change the fluid, they do not have to be that tight to not leak.