PDA

View Full Version : Removing rear glass

dan240
09-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Hello All,

I want to remove the rear windows (all three) from my 89 coupe. How do I do this if I didn't want to damage the rubber seals? Is there an adhesive used on the rear windows or is it just sealed by the rubber trim? Has anyone ordered new seals from the dealer, what would that cost?

Installation the same as removal?

Thanks,

sw20>>s14
09-26-2006, 06:49 PM
you remove the molding and cut through the epoxy adhesive...personally, id try to remove the rear quarter panel windows and rear window myself, but pay to install them back...i wouldnt want to deal with a leaky seal and have to do the process all over again...installation is cheap anyways, plus a warrenty usually accompanies it...

if any of your windows has a hole or crack i wouldnt even bother...it gets pretty dangerous when removing damaged glass...it continues to crack and split rediculously easy...

dan240
09-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Thank you for the ridiculously fast response.....

The molding that surrounds the glass, can that be gently pried up from underneath and pulled/removed or will it most likely be ruined on a 16 year old car?

sw20>>s14
09-26-2006, 06:58 PM
you can reuse them if its absolutely necessary for some reason or another, but its not really recommended...window shops usually use universal moldings that fit fine and are pretty high quality...

projectRDM
09-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Quarter windows do not have separate moulding, it's bonded to the glass, so if it's damaged during removal the entire assembly has to be replaced. Most times I wait until a really hot day, gently pry a corner up, then reach in with a large knife and start cutting the sealant. It's a 65% success rate that way.

The rear window, pull the moulding strip out, cut the sealant with a glass cutter and pull the window out. You can RTV the moulding back in or just replace it.

And all of this has been discussed a multitude of times on here.

dan240
09-27-2006, 08:19 AM
I did search but was unable to find anything here. I looked over at freshalloy and found some good stuff there.

I should have looked in the FSM.

Thanks for the info regardless.

best,