PDA

View Full Version : Alternator keeps dying.

Cordeez
09-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Hey guys and gals. I have a 1991 240sx with an SR swap. for some reason my first alternator died, so i replaced it with another SR alty. MY turbo timer said i was getting a pretty stedy 14V for a week. Then next week, it was showing 12, then it went to 9 and now its dead. Why would this happen?! my electricity mods are

HKS TYPE 0 TURBO TIMER
Miata battrey
headunit
Apexi SAFC
Greddy Profec B spec II

PLEEEASE help.

drifter808
09-26-2006, 08:56 PM
check over your wiring around the alternator. I had a similar problem awhile back and was just corrosion on the wires. I still get weak voltage on my turbo timer reading but when i throw it on a load tester i get a full 14+ volts.

I dunno why that would fry alternators though. Maybe a fuse or relay is burnt out.

street_white180sx
09-27-2006, 12:49 AM
like he said check the wiring. ohm the wire out goin to the alternator. also another question is do you run a strong electrical fan or heavy accesories like a heavy sound system etc?

n2motorsports
09-27-2006, 12:49 AM
also check your ground to the battery (negative side), make sure it's tight and secure.

Cordeez
09-27-2006, 06:42 AM
Thanks alot fellas, ill be coming home this weekend from school and im gonna get down and check all the wires. nope stock speaker system. only other thing is a taur 3.8l elec fan.