PDA

View Full Version : S5 hub disaster

locodrftr
09-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Well,

i dont know if anyone else has had any problems with the s5 5 lug conversion hub but it seems as though i do.I recently purchased the 5 lug conversion back in july i think, for my s13, i also got the extended studs knowing that i was going to run like a 10mm spacer to clear some z brakes i have. well i first knocked out the studs the hubs came with and then pressed in the new extended studs then i took off my old hubs and went on to install the s5 hubs, torqued everything by hand and took the car out everything was fine.now just this past week i noticed some noise from the car sounded like fwd honda with bad cv joints, then i noticed that it was my tire rubbing on the coilover. so i didnt think too much of it since no rubber was coming off but then it keep getting worse. so after school today i came back and decided to check everything out took off the wheel to find out that the studs just fell out of the hub.(passenger side) took the hub off to find out that the studs looked like they got spun and also the hub itself lost the splines for the studs everything got spun somehow and now even the original studs that came with the hubs dont fit. passenger hub now useless while driver side is still ok.im gonna go back to phase2 where i purchased everything and see what they say.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/weldmaster/000_0448.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/weldmaster/000_0446.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/weldmaster/000_0455.jpg

locodrftr
09-25-2006, 08:42 PM
anyone ever had this type of a problem?i mean not on the s5 but on any other car?

usdm180sx
09-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Do they have a 1 year warranty like the ichiba's?

HyperTek
09-25-2006, 09:26 PM
hmm theres no excuse for the hub holes to shave themselves like that.. but then again it could be that you popped the originals out and maybe didnt have the new ones in all teh way or something. Dont know how that would hold up against a claim on the hubs since they would usually pin it on you.

good luck tho

drift freaq
09-25-2006, 09:30 PM
I have seen Ichiba's do the same thing. Actually had to return a set under warranty because of it.

!Zar!
09-25-2006, 10:11 PM
I have seen Ichiba's do the same thing. Actually had to return a set under warranty because of it.
+!

Return them for new ones.

And once you get the new ones, dab them with some red threadlock before you hammer the studs in.

locodrftr
09-25-2006, 10:31 PM
sweet i didnt think about the threadlock, yeah im pretty sure they were all in i double checked everything but who knows maybe i got some defected stuff i'll see how it goes and keep things posted

samplesurf
09-25-2006, 10:41 PM
well i do know that s13 and s14 lug studs are different part numbers from courtesy nissan because the splines are different on them so it is possible that the new hubs did not have the same splines as stock s13 ones, therefore when u put the extended studs in they may not have fit correctly and caused your problem

Replicant_S14
09-26-2006, 05:38 AM
well i do know that s13 and s14 lug studs are different part numbers from courtesy nissan because the splines are different on them so it is possible that the new hubs did not have the same splines as stock s13

Also.... the front and back on 5 lug S14s use different wheel studs. The back hubs use a stud with a slightly smaller splined shoudler. It kinda fits on the front but it will round out. That may be what gets people screwed up.

!Zar!
09-26-2006, 09:58 AM
I have some faith in the poster with his ability to install the lugs.

I have used the same ones personaly. Even with the supplied studs, they started to strip.

Not on one, but there were problems with two sets. Everything was warrantied, so I have no complaints.

The new set had zero problems.

locodrftr
09-26-2006, 11:13 AM
i probably should have double checked for front and rear differences but i figured that if that were the case the driver side im sure would be the same way.well anyway im off to phase2 in a bit, see what howard says.

locodrftr
09-26-2006, 06:01 PM
well i got back from phase2 finally and got both of the hubs replaced, except now i will not be using the extended studs. i believe howard will be contacting people who purchased the s5 hub with the extended studs to let them know of this problem or maybe recall it, i dont know but i dont think they will want to hear of this type of problem again.and just to let everyone know that even though the passenger side was messed up completly the driver side looked ok until futher inspection which one of the studs was just moments away from coming out. so thats why i got both front hubs replaced.

REDSH!FT
09-26-2006, 06:14 PM
We havnt had any issues with these hub kits yet. Quality seems great and have installed on multiple customer cars. Its a good thing you noticed though, bad things could have happened :duh: