PDA

View Full Version : How to get to the firewall?

s14maniac
09-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Recently im dynamating my entire car, so far i did the floor and the wheel well and it made a big difference, but now i notice the sound of my engine alot more, so im thinking of dynamating my firewall as well, but i dont know how to get to the firewall, where does it start and end?? how do i get to it?? do i have to take the whole dash out??

Cloud9
09-25-2006, 10:16 AM
to get all of it yes, or you could just try going from under the dash.

s14maniac
09-25-2006, 10:21 AM
how much firewall can i get to from under the dash??

DaPCWiz
09-25-2006, 01:42 PM
isn't putting in all that dynamat adding ALOT of weight to the car?

under the dash is prolly the easiest way. Taking out the dash isn't too hard tho... just be super careful removing the trim for the defroster vents and drop the two screws that hold the steering column up, otherwise the wheel is in the way for removing the dash...

ondatdryftonyte
09-25-2006, 02:06 PM
taking off your dash isnt that hard, do the screws under the vents, the 2 screws holding up your steering wheel, drop your steering wheel. make sure all your plugs are undone, and carefully take out your dash without ripping wires or plugs. its just time consuming, and frustrating, but what isnt when working on cars!
i think you can get to all the firewall from under the dash, you might have to take off the blower motor, and some other things

DaPCWiz
09-25-2006, 02:19 PM
taking off your dash isnt that hard, do the screws under the vents, the 2 screws holding up your steering wheel, drop your steering wheel. make sure all your plugs are undone, and carefully take out your dash without ripping wires or plugs. its just time consuming, and frustrating, but what isnt when working on cars!
i think you can get to all the firewall from under the dash, you might have to take off the blower motor, and some other things

the defroster vent trim tends to crack cuz its pretty brittle so I'd be careful with that... the rest is easy like ondatdryftonyte said

s14maniac
09-25-2006, 08:20 PM
to add to the question, dynamat isnt so heavy at all, i get 36 square feet of dynamat which meights less than 20 pounds, and it really takes out alot of the road noises, it isnt that heavy at all, youll know what i mean when you pick up a sheet, its really thin