PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting gas door to open. simple fix?

az_240
09-20-2006, 04:27 PM
The gas door hasnt been able to open from the inside since I bought the car and its kind of bugging me having to pop the trunk and pull back the carpet everytime I want gas.

When I try to push down on the lever it kinda moves to the side flimsy like then it goes down the rest of the way...it will not go straight down. Does anybody elses fuel lever do this?

I had someone push down on the lever for me so I could see whats going on back there and the cable is just barely moving which tells me its not broken.
I can open my trunk just fine when pulling up on the lever.

Anybody else ever have fuel door problems on an s14?

Thanks

Kouki_2.4
09-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Mine got stuck once. I managed to get it to pop by pushing down the lever at different angles. Eventually, after getting it to open, i readjusted the "spring" that pushes out the gas door. And since then it's been fine.

az_240
09-20-2006, 04:42 PM
I tried pushing/holding the lever down every way it will go as far as it will go with someone pushing in on the fuel door slightly (thought it might be getting caught) and it still would not release. The cable is just not moving far enough to release the door

HyperTek
09-20-2006, 04:43 PM
the lever is probably broken.. just take it apart and look at it.

az_240
09-21-2006, 08:01 PM
When I try to push down on the lever it kinda moves to the side flimsy like then it goes down the rest of the way...it will not go straight down. Does anybody elses fuel lever do this?

^does anybody have an answer to this question?

undesiredshoe
09-21-2006, 09:51 PM
well my lever is doing the same thing as yours. Ill probably take it apart and look at it this weekend. I think either the cable has some slack in it or some spring is weak.

I think we should add thing to the "You know you own a 240 when.."

You know you own a 240 when you have to open the car door and push down with all your weight to get your fucking gas door to open

Cloud9
09-21-2006, 10:23 PM
If you take a flat head and pry it open (donst take much force) then just bend the tab on the gas door back a little bit, then you can just push on the back of the door and it will pop open it self untill you bend it back. If you have a new paint job you might reconsider but i didnt do any damage to mine.

usdm180sx
09-22-2006, 01:02 AM
If you remove the driver seat you can access the adjustment screw. Here's a picture on the fsm:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l232/usdmsilvia/Fueldoorrelease.jpg

Move the lever back about 1/4" and you should be good to go. I had the same problem on my s13 but not anymore.

Some people bend the tab on the fuel door but that didn't work as well for me because the fuel door would pop open sometimes.