PDA

View Full Version : to weld or not to weld

MacDrevi0us
09-12-2006, 12:23 PM
im thinking about gettin a welded diff cuz its cheap and is better than open but before i do it i wanted to know some of the pros and cons about it so if you know anything whether its good or bad about welded diffs go ahead and post. thanks

fromxtor
09-12-2006, 12:31 PM
weld locd FTW!! www.shockdrifting.com

LB.Motoring
09-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Welded FTW www.justweldityourselfitsnothardduh.com

NemeGuero
09-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Dude, you fuckin' fail at life...
this has been discussed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

trybal
09-12-2006, 12:55 PM
^^^ hahahahahahah

LB.Motoring
09-12-2006, 01:29 PM
this has been discussed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

........and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over:axe:

Neejay
09-12-2006, 02:38 PM
looooooooooooooooooool :duh:

big_schaf
09-12-2006, 02:41 PM
........and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over:axe:

........and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....haha just weld it!!!but get a spare open diff just incase you dont like it!

jussjepbrox
09-12-2006, 08:25 PM
yeah i was kike that before i said F'k it so i got a weld loc and it hella fun but the chirping will iriitate u but u get hella used to it, and as for tires so what jus buy sum used from calderons 2 for 70 unless u got bigg tires then that get expensive so just do it its hella fun

SochBAT
09-12-2006, 09:13 PM

You lie!!!:eek:

OptionZero
09-12-2006, 09:52 PM
What's a welded diff?

Neejay
09-12-2006, 10:21 PM
You lie!!!:eek:
LIES!!!!!!!!

NemeGuero
09-12-2006, 10:29 PM
He lied about lying about me not lying?

Neejay
09-12-2006, 10:37 PM
He lied about lying about me not lying?
You are correct sir.

Jung918
09-12-2006, 11:01 PM
http://www.kang.tv/james_files/misc/helpmegod.jpg

Sean1978
09-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Extracted from my Wikibook project, Nissan 240SX performance modification:
Welding your Stock Differential
Weld locking the stock differential is a popular but controversial modification. Welding a differential is typically done to a drift-use car, and is unfavorable to daily-driving conditions. With the proper knowledge daily driving a welded differential can be a livable experience.

The "welded diff" is done by welding the spider gears together in the factory differential. Special care should be taken to make the most durable welds possible, some have welded thick bolts onto the spider gears to make for a stronger weld. Failure could result in an immobilized diff which would cause an unsafe condition for you, and those around you.

Pros:

- Breaks traction consistently, makes drifting much easier than open diff.

- It's cheap, a welder will charge something near 50$ USD to weld. Replacement differentials can be found used for around 40$ USD.

- It's extremely durable when done properly.

- Little to no maintenance.

- In certain situations, and if driven correctly, you will have more grip in cornering.

Cons:

- Requires a different way of taking corners. Must accelerate through a turn, to the limit of adhesion, taking care not to break the tires loose and cause oversteer.

- Tires make noise at very low speeds (typically parking, or U-turns) as the wheels "fight" each other. The wheels are traveling at the same speed, but along different radii, which causes the outside wheel to shake, hop, and break loose at low speeds. This will increase tire wear in normal use, but if you really care about tire wear over performance, you wouldn't be welding a differential. Let it also be known that most 2-way LSD's exhibit this same characteristic, especially the more aggressive ones.

- Car tends to "push" at low speed.

- Not recommended for inexperienced grip driving. Can be very effective and far more consistent than an open differential, but requires advanced driving techniques.

- If the welds break, they can cause differential lock, and lead to a potential accident.

How to weld your stock diff

If anyone feels that info is incorrect, please go to the wikibook link in my sig and edit it, just try not to be biased..

drifter808
09-12-2006, 11:43 PM
just weld that bitch!!

Dillbag
09-13-2006, 12:13 AM
What are you doing up so late Sean? It's kinda funny that you post that like an hour before I go looking around for the same subject, and drift alignment settings.

Oh, and 'round here we call them thangs Linkin' Lockers! (you know because you would use a Lincoln welder) WOOOOOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEEE!
^----sorry, i grew up in teh south.

trybal
09-13-2006, 12:16 AM
weeeee

weeeee

95zilvia
09-13-2006, 02:29 AM
low speed turns make boobies jiggle

ManoNegra
09-13-2006, 12:58 PM
*picturing man boobies jiggling*.... :-/

bruce leroy
09-13-2006, 01:03 PM
gotta love jiggling boobies!!!!!!

SochBAT
09-13-2006, 01:16 PM
my GF has nice boobies, and i love it when she's in my car. AWESOME!

Neejay
09-13-2006, 01:48 PM
There is NO POINT in getting a welded diff for an auto, right?

bleachcola
09-13-2006, 02:26 PM
a open diff is a open diff

ManoNegra
09-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Neejay - I don't really see one if it's on for dd. VLSD would be my recommendation.
Just the benefits when driving in the rain are worth it imo.

Silverbullet
09-13-2006, 08:38 PM
unless your serious about drifting or road racing, welded diff and 2 way LSDs are NOT recomended. A welded diff acts just like a 2 way LSD. They are very noisy (welded is less noisy) and rough when making turns at low speeds or if your trying to park or make a u turn. I always look around to make sure theres no cops whenever i make a u turn or a sharp turn quick due to the fact that its smoother just to slide the car rather than bounce up and down and deal with the noises thats comming from your rear end.

Oh, almost forgot: you always have to explain why your car acts like its broken and sounds like something is going to break off to passengers that have no real knewlage to drift cars.

There are infact many ppl who daily drive on 2 way LSDs and welded, but they are defently not weak hearted. To have such a wonderful upgrade to your car, there must be a sacrifice.

If your having second thoughts on welded and 2 way LSDs (example: ASKING ppl online whether u should do it or not), then dont do it. Go with a VLSD. They are only 200-300 bucks. They are like training wheels for LSD.

ballr858
09-14-2006, 04:44 AM
the only thing i don't like about my welded diff is when i'm in a parking lot and turn slowly or park my car. when the tires screech, it draws too much attention. sometimes i just want to pull into a parking lot and be unnoticed. and if a cop is present (hasn't happened yet) what am i gonna do? btw...anybody ever get pulled over for screeching tires unintentionally in a parking lot?

ManoNegra
09-14-2006, 03:02 PM
I drove with a welded diff for a short time a while ago and had to park in a 6 story structure for work. I could set car alarms off easily.

Ninjabread
09-14-2006, 03:52 PM

haha anyone else actually click the link?

JVD
09-14-2006, 03:56 PM
No! Who the fuck would? You? LOL.

Ninjabread
09-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Well i didn't actually read what was there before i clicked haha...

-Matt

Shawn_of_the_Dead
09-14-2006, 11:47 PM
I drove with a welded diff for a short time a while ago and had to park in a 6 story structure for work. I could set car alarms off easily.

:werd:

I park in a parking garage now with polished floors and my tires just scream going through that thing...lucky for me I can park on the 2nd floor...haha.

Other than that I LOVE my welded diff.
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=000000&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/854000-854999/854668_154_full.jpg

LB.Motoring
09-15-2006, 12:16 AM

oh you newblit :duh:

hahahaha :keke:

240_hawaii
09-21-2006, 12:29 AM
weld it your have so much more fun with your car. btw i hope you can counter steer on wet a rainy days. lol

redsuns3838
09-21-2006, 12:36 AM
this thread sucks... vids of giggling boobies or lock

but on a serious note, its an open diff. weld that shit, if it sucks, SELL IT for 60 bux and go buy a new open diff for 60...

3day240sx
09-21-2006, 04:21 AM
would ya'll suggest a welded diff or open diff for dd with the driver liking grip racing? i know vlsd would be the best but i don't have one here like i do with the open diff and the welded diff. i like getting sideways but when i am coming home from work at 3am on the interestate the cops notice a car sliding sideways alot quicker then keeping grip at high speed through a turn. there are several turns i take at 20+mph then what most people do and burning one tire while slowing down annoys the shit out of me. i have a truck that has a clutch type lsd in it that would not be completely locked when taking turns so i am not sure how the welded diff will act. oh and i'm lazy so if i put it in i probably won't take it out for over a month or until i hit something from losing control.

ka30det
09-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Ive put about 2k Daily miles on my Weld LOcd V3 in my coupe. Overall, the performance over open diff is huge. The only time you really realize "oh yea my diffs locked" are when you try to u-turn, and turns under 15mph. Durring those conditions, the inside tire skeet skeet skeets.

Ive taken it up to my local touge run to test grip conditions, it feels great, you can get on throttle earlier through the turn. And it doenst feel sketchy at all. Under drift conditions when it really shines. The ass likes to step out on its own now, dont have to feint or Clutch drop her too hard. I have yet to drag race it, but i imagine, i hook up alot better on launches now. Overall...MONEY WELL SPENT, get your shit welded or do it yourself, either way, open diff is wack.

mikespeed95
09-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Hay Guys,
I just bought a 89 180sx for $450 bux with a blown single cam, I'm thinking of putting a Tomei Sr20det in it, my freind said thats a cool motor. Anyways I want to drift race it, and i my freind who is really good at drifting his prelude told me just to get 225 toyo ra-1's for the front , and my otehr freind who drifts his truck told me to get a locker. what do i do?

keep is slideways

Ninjabread
09-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Wow what the fuck did you just say.. maybe someome else can decypher it.. who wants a Ban mikespeed95 thread? lol

-Matt

Ninjabread
09-21-2006, 03:21 PM
whoops, i suppose that was probably a joke reply.. if it is, my bad for not catching it.. if not.. GTFO of zilvia...

sidewayskeet
09-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Just weld it already, you can send it to us we will weld it for you go to www.shockdrifting.com or e-mail at [email protected] for us to weld it for you. Version 3 or 4 up to you, but WTF just weld it, more predictable when sideways!!!! You send it to us it will be back before you know it!!

VERY Soon to open S.D.Proformance we will keep everyone posted!:werd:

:wackit:

blu808
09-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Yes we can weld that up for you no problem.
Just give me a call.
408-515-9598

HyperTek
09-21-2006, 07:11 PM
im thinking about gettin a welded diff cuz its cheap and is better than open but before i do it i wanted to know some of the pros and cons about it so if you know anything whether its good or bad about welded diffs go ahead and post. thanks

well, really welded diff isnt better then open diff.. its only purpose to benefit is drag racing and drift.. otherwise cost of tire wear and understeer and oversteer.

Id take open diff over welded.. unless this is for drifting aplication.

~ Mr.Smarty pants

LB.Motoring
09-21-2006, 07:19 PM
^ hahah well said, yah you can daily it, but it does add exsesive tire wear, but if you track, it is a great upgrade/addition

!Zar!
09-22-2006, 12:16 AM
I'm so sick of this debate.

If you plan on doing track style action abet its grip or slip, welded works.

If you plan on not doing anything besides driving to the grocery store and your local Tapioca X, then don't do it.

It's simple as that.

"But I want to do both dd and track"

Weld it. You can't do much drifting action with an open diff.

My tire wear is great when I'm not tracking my car.

If you are so worried about tire life, go borrow the 500 treadwear tires off your grandma's caddy.

When you run tires that are water drinker status, you will have lots of noise and poor performance.

But once you man up and purchace higher quality tires, they will only skuff. No squeaking.

In the end it's whatever you want.

MacDrevi0us
09-23-2006, 10:22 PM
what about a vlsd. ill explain what i want to get from my differential and then you guys can suggest what you think would be best. mainly i just want more grip and something that would be good for daily driving and something that will last. what do you think would be best for this? thanks.

Irukandji
09-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Wow what the fuck did you just say.. maybe someome else can decypher it.. who wants a Ban mikespeed95 thread? lol

-Matt

I'm pretty sure he was joking. LOL

MacDrevi0us, search... there's 345,394,568,548,283,293 and a half threads on the whole weld diff v vlsd lsd crap. half because this thread is sorta one.
On a second note, scroll up 2 inches....
I'm so sick of this debate.

If you plan on not doing anything besides driving to the grocery store and your local Tapioca X, then don't do it.

It's simple as that.

mikespeed95
09-25-2006, 11:58 PM

-Matt

should i get a 5mge instead? my freind with an mkII supra that doesnt run said they are bad ass.

NemeGuero
09-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Why does this thread still exist?

Its a simple question, whats left to talk about?

Ninjabread
09-27-2006, 02:13 PM
should i get a 5mge instead? my freind with an mkII supra that doesnt run said they are bad ass.

Put a CA18i in it, I heard they have lots or torque...

and lol "hahaha silly kid" to whoever neg-repped me.