PDA

View Full Version : for those who have corner balanced.. question

kenversusryu
09-11-2006, 01:58 AM
For those who have corner balanced their car.

What is your weight distribution? How much higher (from fender to ground) or lower is the front than the rears?

Please list what year car and what has been removed or whatever.

I'm thinking of corner balancing but i want to know if 50/50 would raise the front significanly higher than the rear.

ManoNegra
09-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Hmmmm... set the height as desired and have the place take care of the rest.
91 hatch, full interior
various adjustable arms
Stace coils
I took it over to Darrin's at West End Alignment.

Results
Weight (pounds w/ driver)
786 744
736 693

Cross Weight
1479 - front driver to rear passanger
1480 - front passanger to rear driver
just about 50-50

Front to Rear Weight
1530 - Front
1429 - Rear
or 51.7 to 48.3 which pretty damn good as far as sport cars go
(Best cars? - Miatas and S2000s)

Recommended:
Move battery to passanger rear and get light weight driver seat to improve weight distribution.

If you're anywhere close to Gardena, I fully recommend West End Alignment.
Need to call to make appointment though.
Best $220 I've ever spent on suspension.
Hope that helps.

g6civcx
09-11-2006, 01:10 PM
You may use ballasts to achieve your desired static weight distribution. Just keep in mind that a static distribution will change as a function of many other things when the car is in motion.

Ride height and weight distribution affect each other, but fine-tuning could be done depending upon your setup.

It will be very difficult to get exactly 25/25/25/25 because the car is not symmetrical. Central driving position, anyone?

Just work with your shop since each car is slightly different. For example, mine is essentially the same as Mano on the outside, but mine is significantly lighter by several hundred pounds, even more so after the new body panels are installed. So therefore his setup will not work on mine.

kenversusryu
09-21-2006, 08:45 PM
so then what did they exactly do to adjust the balance? Raise/lower coilover?

!Zar!
09-22-2006, 12:20 AM
so then what did they exactly do to adjust the balance? Raise/lower coilover?

You adjust it by changing preload.

It's it's severe then you could start adding ballast weight or shifting things around like your battery.

kenversusryu
09-22-2006, 01:34 AM
preloading the springs?

!Zar!
09-22-2006, 01:46 AM
preloading the springs?
Yes.

By adjusting preload, you are placing more tension on any which spring, and it it pushes the weight up and to another corner. But I wouldn't reccoment that being the only way it's done. Becuase the car would be balanced, but handle odd on the track.

TheWolf
09-22-2006, 07:11 AM
you can also raise and lower the corners of the car to shift weight around but again ride height and preload are two ways to move weight. It gives you some idea what you are doing when installing aftermarket pannels and lightweight seats etc or moving batteries around. most people who install coilovers try and eyeball it and are usually way off.

e1_griego
09-22-2006, 04:48 PM
So is the corner balance really, really noticeable vs. just setting susp height?

Alex