PDA

View Full Version : TPS SENSOR adjustment?

philly blunt
09-08-2006, 08:24 PM
well i have a 89 s13 with a ca18det and i was wondering how exactly you adjust the tps sensor to its perfect position it was loose for some reason one day and i was getting on it and i felt a major loss in power and black smoke every where so i moved it all the way back counter clockwise so it would start then slowly moved it to where it idled right, but ever since then the power feels low and it stutters sometimes almost like a misfire, any help is appreciated

philly blunt
09-09-2006, 05:23 PM
anyone know?

95zilvia
09-09-2006, 08:07 PM
turn ur car on
test voltage of the middle wire.
voltage should be 0.4 to 0.5 at idle.

this is for SR, so go figure.
if u know stuff about electronics, u should be able to figure it out

undesiredshoe
09-09-2006, 10:10 PM
i have the same problem...How do you measure the middle wire?? Theres no where to stick the multimeter probes. Do you have to splice the wire a bit?

I tried measuring the tps with it disconnected but it doesnt produce a voltage.

WILDACEX187
09-09-2006, 10:17 PM
tps might not be good anymore then

projectRDM
09-09-2006, 10:18 PM
F S M.

Same as SR/KA.

undesiredshoe
09-09-2006, 10:19 PM
So when i measure the middle terminal on the tps side with it disconnected, theres supposed to be voltage?? How would it produce 4-5v with no power from the battery?

edit: I have read the sohc manual. It tells me to check power source...i measure terminal "d" and it reads 5.19v.

Then it tells me to check input signal...tps side. It says to measure terminal e to ground, with the plug connect and engine on. But how do you measure it when theres no way to stick the probe into the plug?

WILDACEX187
09-09-2006, 10:21 PM
u're supposed to poke the middle wire with the probe with the tps connected and measure that way. other probe u should ground somewhere like valve cover

95zilvia
09-10-2006, 12:43 AM
there isnt anything going on if u hvae the TPS disconnected.
just jam the probe into the wire until u get a reading. (while it's connected)
other probe, just put it to negative terminal.
adjust accordingly

undesiredshoe
09-10-2006, 01:11 AM
alright....i got it to read...thanks for the help.

While I was adjusting the tps, i decided to clean out the idle control with carb cleaner. After that, i started the engine but the idle was really rough and it would die if i dont step on the gas. I took it out for a test drive and when it was warmed up, the idle stabilized.

It idled at 1300rpms so i turned the idle screw clockwise until it stopped but the idle doesnt change....if i turn it counterclockwise, the idle climbs to like 2000+rpms. When i unplug the tps, the idle lowers to 750rpm. Whats wrong?

95zilvia
09-10-2006, 01:16 AM
you adjust the idle with the TPS disconnected.
where are u reading where to adjust all these things?
read better, search better

undesiredshoe
09-10-2006, 01:19 AM
well when i try to adjust it with the tps disconnected, the idle doesnt change. And the screw is already turned fully clockwise so if i turn it counterclockwise, shouldnt the idle just get higher than it already is...with the tps disconnected?

95zilvia
09-10-2006, 01:23 AM
It idled at 1300rpms so i turned the idle screw clockwise until it stopped but the idle doesnt change....if i turn it counterclockwise, the idle climbs to like 2000+rpms. When i unplug the tps, the idle lowers to 750rpm. Whats wrong?

what u said earlier

anyways
just fuck with it
if it doesnt change when u have it disconnected
then it may be clogged
or maybe u dont have air going to it

undesiredshoe
09-10-2006, 01:29 AM
would turning the screw out while the engine is off keep the idle the same when its turned on?? Because if it does, then ill just turn the screw out and then turn on the engine and then screw it in to lower the idle even more.

I dont know if that would work though

95zilvia
09-10-2006, 01:37 AM
what?
oh, that was hard to understand
but i get you
i dont think that would work.
actually im sure it wont
but try it anyways.
get off ur butt in front of the computer
and go do it.

undesiredshoe